1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Parts and Accessories Bin

Old 04-27-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerbone View Post
Sorry, my last recollection was from post #19 rather than the measured length. Either way keep track of the upper lug engagement.
I was going to take a marker and color the upper locking lugs before I shoot next time so I can see if there's anything rubbing that shouldn't be.
Depending on weather you use .205"(side to side measurement and same as new link) or .208"(top to bottom) for the lower hole in the factory link I get either a .282" link or a .2835" link when I do the math. I think .283" is close enough to not cause any problems. I could see if I'd went with a .288" how that'd be way too long, +.006" over factory but at the same time I didn't want to go G.I. stock .278" because that would have been .004"-.005" shorter then factory and I could end up not having enough locking lug engagement. I"m banking on the factory to have set the gun up with the proper length link so by replacing it with one that's similar all should be well in 1911 land.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post
So no one has any info to help with this problem? Any ideas, or links to info?
What exactly is the problem? Is the gun not working properly, or are you going to swap parts just because?

Justice Hugo Black
Old 04-29-2012, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
What exactly is the problem? Is the gun not working properly, or are you going to swap parts just because?
Getting rid of crap MIM parts and sub-standard parts before anything happens. Oz of prevention is worth a Lb of cure IMHO.
If you would have seen the barrel link that came out and compared it to the Wilson Combat link that I put in I think you'd agree with me that the WC is a much better part.
A part doesn't necessarily have to be broken to warrant replacement. Sometimes it's for looks(I like the grips I put on the gun a lot better then the factory ones) sometimes it because certain parts work better or are better quality so they'll make the gun operate smoother and not be as prone to breakage. I have quite a few other parts that I'd like to replace with better quality parts. I'll keep the old ones as spares or in case someone might need one someday. Half the fun of a 1911 is all the parts you can swap around so you can make the gun your own.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:43 AM
Banned

Cool Cheap 1911's Can be Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg1005 View Post
Its true.

And if someone came up to me at the range asking how to make their $400 1911 better, I'd tell them shoot it until you have money to buy a better one... Even if you replace every "little part" you still have an ATI frame, slide, and barrel.

Mike.
Some of the Norico's were highly sought after in the 90's when they were available and some really nice custom's turned out on them. If people want to try to improve on their less expensive gun's we should help them. It gets more people into shooting and also more people into 1911's which are good things in my book. One of the best 1911's I had was inexpensive and lead to a very nice custom Colt. The Colt was the better gun no doubt, but the other one performed very well and was not a safe Queen. I never carried the Colt because it was so nice and to valueable. If the slide barrel and frame are serviceable you are off to a good start, and aquire parts as money permits. Some of the finests Hot Rods are Built that way also. No one say's all parts must be new to work either,and alot of NSOS comes around at bargains too. So please try to be construtive and not give people the wrong idea that you have to spend 2000.00 dollars to have a serviceable 1911. That is the kind of thing I hear from Glockers all the time,and I can't stop laughing when somebody cleans their clock at a IDPA match with a trow down 1911.PS:Bill stated he got 10k founds out of the custom Norico, that not's to bad if he did the work himself and picked up some quaility parts at a bargain, he would not have had nearly as much money invested. Some people don't shoot that much and fixing up a lesser gun is enjoyable and cost afective to them also.

Last edited by supervel; 04-29-2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:49 PM

I think as long as the barrel, slide and frame all fit properly it doesn't matter who's gun it is, it'll be a good shooter and last as long as anything else. The main "problem" with the less expensive guns is that they cut corners with the parts that they put on the barrel, slide and frame like the substandard link and pin that was on my ATI barrel.
The gun shoots good, it's reliable and hits where I aim it. It can only get better by adding some higher quality parts to it.
I just don't understand why some folks feel the need to be disrespectful to those of us who don't want or need to buy a higher end gun. If you've got the money to buy a Wilson Combat or Ed Brown more power to ya' but I'd rather have fun mod'ing my cheap little ATI and making it into what I want rather then give the money to a gun smith that works for a high end company. It's just fun for me to install a part and get it working correctly, it gives me a sense of satisfaction in knowing that "I" did it and didn't have to pay someone to do it.
Besides, if the S ever HTF and you can't/don't know how to work on your guns you'll just have a bunch of expensive paper weights if/when they break. Those of us who have messed around with our guns will be able to get em' back up and running. So, you tell me, what's worth more, a WC that's broken that you don't know how to fix or an ATI that I can fix and get back up and running?

P.S.
I DO know one way to make your Wilson Combat/Les Baer/Ed Brown better, lower the damn price so common folk can afford them.LOL

Last edited by TN.Frank; 04-29-2012 at 12:54 PM.