1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Rock Island Armory

Old 03-03-2012, 01:19 PM

Trouble with Wilson Combat Mags

Is anyone having trouble with the Wilson Combat Mag #47? Sorry I'm new to the sight and to the 1911. I have the RIA 1911 A1 CS. I purchased some Wilson Combat #47 mag that holds 7 round. I was looking up what would be some good mags and these kept coming up. Did I get the right ones? When I put it in the gun it won't let me disengage the slide stop without dropping the clip. Then it doesn't cycle the rounds in all the way. Can anyone help me with this. I'm still trying to learn this. Thanks.

Last edited by jsixfoe; 03-03-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsixfoe View Post
Is anyone having trouble with the Wilson Combat Mag #47? Sorry I'm new to the sight and to the 1911. I have the RIA 1911 A1 CS. I purchased some Wilson Combat #47 mag that holds 7 round. I was looking up what would be some good mags and these kept coming up. Did I get the right ones? When I put it in the gun it won't let me disengage the slide stop without dropping the clip. Then it doesn't cycle the rounds in all the way. Can anyone help me with this. I'm still trying to learn this. Thanks.
must be the pistol, cause Wilson mags are always perfect
(not really, but they are prettydamngood)

sounds like you have the right mag for a compact if it's Wilson 47OX

nah, it won't cycle a rnd if the mag isn't locked in place
can you slingshot load it?
(that means inserting the mag, grabbing the rear of slide, pulling and letting go....like a "slingshot)

can you insert a loaded mag with the slide closed and then rack a round??

BTW, i love Wilson mags for my full size pistols, but don't like 'em so well for compacts or 9mm

..l.T.A.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:58 PM

Thanks for replying back. I found out that one of the two I bought was different. Seller messed up and sent a wrong one. The correct one works like a dream. Thanks again for replying back.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:30 PM

I beg to differ about wilson mags.. I have purchased 3 of them at a local gun store new in package. 2 of them were defective.... I dropped on mag on the carpet when I was takingit out of the package and it blew up.. spring and follower flew out into some unknown area. the second one the follower popping out. only one worked great. I called wilson and I had no response for oever 2 weeks finally they responded saying were sorry about the mags but if there used there is nothing we can do aboutit. Really? wait ai guess they come in the package with labels saying there defective so we dont buy them. I buy only kimber now.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblueagian View Post
I beg to differ about wilson mags.. I have purchased 3 of them at a local gun store new in package. 2 of them were defective.... I dropped on mag on the carpet when I was takingit out of the package and it blew up.. spring and follower flew out into some unknown area. the second one the follower popping out. only one worked great. I called wilson and I had no response for oever 2 weeks finally they responded saying were sorry about the mags but if there used there is nothing we can do aboutit. Really? wait ai guess they come in the package with labels saying there defective so we dont buy them. I buy only kimber now.
We have a lifetime satisfaction policy on all products. Give us a call and we can schedule a return for any product you think is "defective".
Old 03-13-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblueagian View Post

Old 03-13-2012, 02:23 AM

Sounds like Wilson will be willing to help you solve your issues OP... I would also suggest running Kimber ProTac mags... I have a few of them and they work great along with the WC mags i have as well...

Chip McCormick's seem to be a great mag as well... Good luck with your Mag issues my friend
Old 03-13-2012, 08:51 AM

Are you sure you spoke to wilson combat ? I have never had a problem with any of their customer service reps. I have several mags replaced at no charge. These were 10 round mags, the tab can break after thousands of reloads. All I use are wilson mags in competition.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:15 PM

I got a Wilson 47OX for my RI compact, had nothing but problems with it, it works fine untill the last 2 rounds, seems the lips are to high in relation to the feed ramp. ACT mags have worked perfect every time, just like the looks of the Wilsons
Old 04-29-2012, 08:33 AM

I have been debating about whether, or not to buy a few Wilson mags for my newly acquired Rock Island MS. I've owned a few 1911's and have always ran Colt mags in my Colt pistols, and MetalForm in everything else. Now that I've horse-traded my way out of all but 2 of my 1911's... I'm in need of more mags. I've always thought the Wilson mags came very highly recommended. Has something changed?

I don't want to drop the coin on a bunch of mags that are going to give me issues, and I find it hard to believe that Wilson would be putting their name on shoddy products. All that being said, if there is a problem... I'd sure like to know about it before I spend the money.

So, what's the verdict?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW10MMPointman View Post

So, what's the verdict?
Wilson are top quality mags that feed in most pistols .
individual 1911s can be quirky though..and mags are the weak link of the system in general .....just the nature of the beast

can't tell you why one guys 1911 will feed with any mag (even dime store junk Chinese mags) while another man's identical model 1911 will only feed with XYZ brand mag ..and that it isn't always contingent on price/quality of mag either

the mags that have consistently performed best for me in all my FS and MS 45 cal 1911s are Colt oem 8 rnd (Checkmate made) mags with parallel feed lips , Wilson and Chip McCormick

Interestingly enough, all those mags have parallel feed lips .
The "traditionalists" will suggest that 7 rnd GI tapered feed lip mags are the only way to go.
and some suggest the hybrid feed lips (which have been the WORST for me)

so the short of it is, there is just no way to definitively say,

"this or that mag is best for every 1911 "

cause it can't be done

..l.T.A.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:53 AM

I don't think Mrblueagain was telling the whole truth on this deal. Granted I have had issues with Wilson Mags, I am actually sending two back today, but to say that you called and haven't heard anything back in 2 weeks is not even how the process works.
They ask you what the problem is you are having and then tell you to send them in with a brief description. Sounds like this guy has a hard on for Wilson Combat for some reason.
Credibility just went down the tubes on this forum bro
Old 05-16-2012, 12:19 PM

Should've gotten P-Mags...nah, kidding...just kidding. CMC and Wilson Combat Mags are the only way to fly (just my personal opinion) first thing I do with an new gun from the Philippines if it's 1911 flavored is ditch the ACT mag.

Had a few pro-tac mags from Kimber, after a few hundred rounds the slide failed to lock back on the last round on all three of them, plus some feeding issues with 185 grain SWC in my Tac. Ended up with some CMC P-Mags a few weeks later and they're still chugging alone like the little engines that could, did, and will continue to do after thousands of rounds. Gave the Pro-Mags to a buddy with an SA Loaded and damn if they don't work just fine for him. No clue why the Tac rejected them, just kind of odd...then again I know the guy I give my ACT mags too has an RIA GI that doesn't care about mags or ammo.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by Kodadek; 05-16-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:14 PM

Use Chip McCormick mags. I have never heard of them having a problem with any make of 1911. They seem to be a well rounded mag and perform without any hiccups.

I have heard several people, including yourself, complaing about Wilson Combat mags. Get a Chip and see how they compare on your 1911.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:51 PM

I have 2 ACT magazines, 2 Wilson Combat 47OX, 2 Joes Magmania 1911 magazines.
I have only used the 2 ACT mags and 1 of the Wilsons. The 1st 25 rounds on my second ACT magazine gave my a hard time. After those 25 rounds it has been perfect.

The others all arrived this week. I have loaded them and chambered rounds using the slingshot method as well as the slide release. Hope to hit the range this weekend and send a couple hundred rounds through the new magazines.