1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Blade Forum

Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 PM

Glock field knife

I went shopping today and I couldn't find any. My first choice would be an all black Kabar but I can't afford that right now. So before I order a glock field knife online, what do you guys think? $30 for a knife sounds too good to be true. Thoughts?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:13 AM

I got one and am happy with it. The price is great even if its a military style.
Semper Fi
Rocky
Old 04-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Banned

They're cheap, basic, tough as nails knives. I used one as a tent stake last time camping.
Was stuck in the dirt for four days, rained second day. Ended up having a slight bit
of surface corrosion, wiped away with some clp.

It is no replacement for my Kabar, but I would not want to stick a $70 knife in the ground either!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:16 PM

This is a Kabar(Large Bowie) that was under $50 when I bought it(not sure of exact price). It is one tough,9",carbon steel blade.

I've been looking at the Glock knives too. Have to get one to go with my new gen4 Glock 19.

Last edited by Shad Roe; 04-20-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 PM

One of the first times I bedded my (now) wife, one of the first things I noticed was a Glock knife next to the bed.

Thing like that can break a mans concentration.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealeTM View Post
One of the first times I bedded my (now) wife, one of the first things I noticed was a Glock knife next to the bed.

i dont know if that would scare me away or make me come back for more.
sounds like a cool gal.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealeTM View Post

I don't think that I'd like it if my wife shared in my firearms, knives, etc. interests. Kinda like having that part of myself to myself. Odd that thought came to me.
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350)
Old 04-24-2012, 06:59 AM

Yea. Met her on the range. 10 yrs and counting.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:17 PM

Several years back, I bought a few Glock knives just keep in the trunk of the car, for work in the yard, stashed with a few emergency supplies, etc. Certainly the best knife for very little money---good steel, serviceable grip and sheath and sharp! I paid about $25 a copy online at the time, I understand they are about $30 now.
Yeah, I own some nicer knives---Fallkiven, Cold Steel SRKs, SOGs, etc. but the Glock knives get the most actual use and they are so cheap I don't worry about mucking-up a more expensive blade---I've even gave a couple of them to friends to keep when they showed up with marginal cutlery in the woods. One of the best deals around!
Oh yeah, my wife likes to shoot guns and thinks knives are for making lunch.

Last edited by jyo; 04-27-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:54 PM

Mine I cut down the latch a bit so it comes out easier, and used a wood burner to texture the grip more. The blade isn't great steel, but for the money, it is not bad. I have to say, for hard work around the yard, I grab it before some other tools. When I play tree climbing monkey trimming tree branches, I have that on one side and a big Becker recurve on the other.

Speaking of tree trimming, it's getting to be that season again. Get me a case of PBR tall boys and time to head on up. Might bring a chainsaw this year. Watch for me in the news.
USPSA Club MN07
Metal workin' tool and die grease monkey.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:30 PM

They're merely ok. If they had a full-length tang inside the handle (I've seen one busted clean off), they'd be much more useful - but mine is just a car-knife.

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
Old 05-04-2012, 11:52 PM

I would suggest saving a little more money for a Becker BK2(5"), BK7(7"), or BK9(9"). The BK2 is like a sharpened pry bar at 1/4" thick. The other two are thinner but still tougher than nails. BK2 is $61 free ship right now at Amazon.com. I know it is twice the price but I would rather have one BK2 to 10 GLock knives. And I'm a glock fanboy.

If Thor had a knife and was on a tight allowance from Zeus, it would be a BK2.

Last edited by wuhungsix; 05-05-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:18 AM

And if you only have thirty bucks. Get a Condor Bushcraft Basic. I know it looks like an over grown steak knife but it is stout and full tang. Comes with a nice leather sheath. Will need a little Sharpening when you get it though.

http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Bushcra...pr_product_top
Old 05-05-2012, 04:15 AM

Thor's father was Odin.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:11 AM

The Glock field knife is very popular in Germany/Austria and generally considered a good bang for the buck. However, it's also notorious for being prone to rust. Mine shows signs of corrosion although I've treated it like a primadonna.

If you like the looks of it, get it (preferably the one without sawback). It you want a durable knife that can take some punishment, spend a few bucks more and get one of the alternatives that have been mentioned.

By the way, if you're into knife-throwing, the Glock field knife might yield a nice surprise for you: It's an excellent throwing knife!
Old 05-05-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegunman690 View Post
Thor's father was Odin.
Haha stand corrected. Just came back from watching Avengers. Going to "smash" something with my BK2 now.