1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Revolvers

Old 04-27-2012, 08:47 PM

S&W Model 36

I have a chance to buy this little J frame. It was built in '81 and by the looks of it has hardly ever been shot. The grips have obviously been changed, but what I find interesting is the hammer. Please take a look at the pics and let me know what y'all think. I can grap it up for $300. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:37 PM

Looks like a home bob job. Irregardless, looks nice. I love the Model 36!

SASS #43746, R.O. I/II
NRA Life Member
Old 04-27-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMat View Post
Looks like a home bob job. Irregardless, looks nice. I love the Model 36!
That is what I thought as well, but have never seen anything like this save for reading about fitz specials.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:00 AM

I'm with the two previous posters.

What you have there is a bobbed hammer. It's a very common modification. A lot of LEO's like the model 36, and its stainless cousin, the model 60 as back-up guns. The weak-side front pocket is one of the favorite carry locations. The problem with the stock weapon is that the hammer spur would always catch on the pocket, so folks started bobbing the spur. Smith and Wesson got wise and started making "J" frames with covered hammers to better address that problem. The later shrouded models were better suited for pocket carry. The bobbed hammer solution still resulted in a lot of lint, dirt, and grime entering the action.

The bob on your weapon doesn't look like it was very well done. I suspect that it was done with the hammer still in the frame. There is still a large flat area that can catch. The best bobs are done with the hammer removed from the weapon and are shaped so that there are no flat surfaces.

I would check the weapon for any indication that the top strap has been stretched, or flame cut on the bottom. Both were chronic problems with early "J" frames that disgested too much hot ammo.

If it checks out, $300.00 is a good deal.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:09 AM
Banned

Those are good for windbreaker poket carry also. Your draw is like lighting when you shoot though your pocket and it won't jam like an auto. If you keep your hands in your pocket a mugger will not know what hit him. Was ZZTOP talking about money or a gun in the song when he said got my hand in my pocket and everthing is going to be all rightJUST GOT PAID TODAY

Last edited by supervel; 04-28-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:19 PM

For $300 I'd snap it up. They make a great carry gun or BUG. In general the 36 is a wonderful model to own even with the bobed hammer.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeminea1911 View Post
For $300 I'd snap it up. They make a great carry gun or BUG. In general the 36 is a wonderful model to own even with the bobed hammer.
And hurry before it is gone. BUG only for me though.