1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Competitive Shooting

Old 04-23-2012, 11:14 AM

Heavy Metal/Iron/He-Man 3-Gun

Who here shoots it? I've never shot any competitive shooting but from what I see all the shooting is identical to the type of shooting I did in the Corps on a daily basis. I just got out and need a new hobby and have been drawn to the "heavy metal" class.

I would like to get some advice from guys that have done or are shooting in it. What rifle and shotgun would you recommend? Should I sit in on one or two before I actually compete? Anything you would have done differently, or changed that I can do initially?

I'm leaning towards an FNAR and probably just a 500 to start with, and probably just the iron sight class initially (i've seen a couple brackets for them to work with the fnfar) and if I like it go for optic's class. I'm just trying to pick out a rifle that won't crap out on me but not break my wallet either.

Last edited by sidewaysil80; 04-23-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:56 PM

This can vary from match to match, the he man class will be iron sights, pump shotgun and single stack .45. Others allow optics semi auto shotguns and any handgun. Fun and challenging.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:36 PM
More Cowbell...

I was at there following a Pueblo, Colorado 3-Gun match when the idea of He-Man was born.

Eddie Rhodes, Kurt Miller, Eric Miller, Blaine West, Jimmy Holdsworth and myself we just shooting the bull after a match when the subject of Soldier of Fortune matches, 223 vs 308, 9x19 vs 45 came up. The rest is history.

Check with the club near you for exactly what flavor of He-Man they are shooting. Some allow scopes on rifles, auto shotguns, high cap 45s, ect. One thing is pretty common though, 308/30-06, 45 ACP and 12 gauge. Scopes on rifles, semi-auto shotguns, and non single stack 45s came later.

He-man should have stayed iron sight rifle, pump shotgun and single stack 45s. However I dont have much of a dog in that fight as I shoot Tactical Optics.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:56 PM
1911 Aficionado

I've shot the original USPSA Heavy Metal, which was 12ga pump, .30 cal rifle, and .45/1911 pistol, with no optics. I've also seen many variations on this, with auto shotguns, and other pistols/calibers allowed. Make sure you know what the rules are for the specific sport or event that you are shooting.

EDIT: I shot Mossberg 590, Garand, and longslide .45
Old 04-28-2012, 12:36 AM

I shoot Heavy Metal/Iron Sights.

FAL, 870, 1911.

Its just fun watching steel plates smack the ground from the 7.62 impact.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:13 AM

^^^^ I miss the Aussie SLR's

I want to move
“The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Last edited by Staff; 04-28-2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Profanity - Fin
Old 04-28-2012, 11:16 AM

South African FAL and 1911 suits me just fine

(Still need to get a defensive-type shotgun of some kind - my O/U does well on clays and pigeons, but....)

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
Old 04-28-2012, 06:21 PM

1911, M14, Mossberg 930 SPX for me.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
South African FAL and 1911 suits me just fine

(Still need to get a defensive-type shotgun of some kind - my O/U does well on clays and pigeons, but....)
If it were me and it will be soon I have had just about as much of this country as I can ... I would be running a sweet old Winchester mod 12 trench gun one of the sweetest shotguns I have ever used
“The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002