1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Taurus

Old 04-28-2012, 03:06 PM

Cracked Extractor on Stainless PT1911 (Pics!)

I went to the range this past Monday to shoot a couple of pistols. I fired 50 rnds of Aguila FMJ through a PT1911 I just picked up. The pistol was used and the original owner told me he only put about 100 rnds through it (I believe him too, the pistol looks to be in great shape).
I performed a detailed strip on the pistol before taking to the range. Today I decided to clean it after firing. Look what I found. Why would this have happened. Is the extractor a MIM part? Any recommendations on a replacement extractor? Sucks...

After firing:

Cracked Extractor:

Old 04-28-2012, 03:26 PM

It is likely a MIM part. I just replaced the extractor in my Springfield Ultra Compact. Even in the Springer, the extractor is a MIM part. On mine, the hook that grabs the shell broke.

I replaced it with a Wilson Combat Bullet Proof extractor, which is machined, not MIM.

I had a PT1911ALR, and didn't have any issues, but MIM parts tend to not be as strong as machined.

The Wilson extractor will likely need a bit of fitting.

Good luck on the replacement, and don't let it get you down on Taurus. I am beginning to regret selling mine.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajablast View Post
I replaced it with a Wilson Combat Bullet Proof extractor, which is machined, not MIM.

The Wilson extractor will likely need a bit of fitting.
Thanks for the info. So...I've heard that the Taurus PT1911 extractor is a bit of a unique design and that other "aftermarket" Series 80 extractors won't fit the Series 80 firing pin block in the slide. Any truth to this?

Anyone have any experience with changing the extractor for an aftermarket piece on the PT1911?
Old 04-28-2012, 06:28 PM

I did the series 80 delete in my PT1911, so I am not sure the answer to your question. If you do end up doing the series 80 delete, you will need to get the metal spacer from Brownells to fill in the space where the series 80 was. It is an easy mod, just up to you.

You can find links to the mod on this site.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Banned

I do not trust stainless steel extractors an replace them with high quality steel ones. The new SS may be ok now, but some of the old ones from years ago were trash. Old habbits die hard. While your at it replace the slide stop also.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervel View Post
I do not trust stainless steel extractors an replace them with high quality steel ones. The new SS may be ok now, but some of the old ones from years ago were trash. Old habbits die hard. While your at it replace the slide stop also.
I went ahead and ordered a new Cylinder and Slide stainless series 80 extractor. They claim that their extractor is made out of spring steel. It has to be better than what Taurus put in the pistol. I want to get this thing up and running again.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/837...tainless-steel
Old 04-28-2012, 10:05 PM

The problem some of us have had is that a new extractor may not retain the dumbell plunger of the series 80 system. It will fall out of the slide when you rack the slide. Option then is to delete the series 80 system as mentioned or try another extractor. I deleted the series 80 and did not look back! I used a Wilson combat bullet proof.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:51 PM

Taurus had a run of defective extractors. They have a lifetime warranty so send it back and they will replace it at no cost. Call them first and if it is less than a year old they may cover the shipping cost.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:04 AM
Banned

Slide stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicompression View Post
I went ahead and ordered a new Cylinder and Slide stainless series 80 extractor. They claim that their extractor is made out of spring steel. It has to be better than what Taurus put in the pistol. I want to get this thing up and running again.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/837...tainless-steel
C&S has avery good reputation and I would also suggest ordering a slide stop from them in the same order to save shipping. I have no problems with SS slide stops, they have served me very well. I have had one oem para o slide stop break in half and shut the gun down. That is why I recomend replaceing it also, it maybe no better than the extractor, and is a high load part and can stop the gun.PS:Ask C&S if their are any problems useing their extractor in a Tarus and if it can be modified to be.If it cannot you are going to have to make a decision on your FPS. It would be as bad as a broken extractor if the plunger comes out and locks the gun also.

Last edited by supervel; 04-29-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody3 View Post
Taurus had a run of defective extractors. They have a lifetime warranty so send it back and they will replace it at no cost. Call them first and if it is less than a year old they may cover the shipping cost.
Get them to send you a new one to, and you will have a spare.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajablast View Post
I did the series 80 delete in my PT1911, so I am not sure the answer to your question. If you do end up doing the series 80 delete, you will need to get the metal spacer from Brownells to fill in the space where the series 80 was. It is an easy mod, just up to you.

You can find links to the mod on this site.
That to if you go that route. Will a Colt firing pin plunger work or they bigger or different than Tarus? Para O lincensed theirs through Colt and I beleive the parts interchange.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:00 AM

I ordered the Cylinder and Slide extractor from Midway. I should have it by this Wednesday at the latest. I'll report back on whether or not it correctly retains the dumbell plunger (firing pin block). I might just call Taurus and see if they will send me a new one too as a back-up. The gun was manufactured in 2008 per Taurus' website serial number search. As I understand it though, their warranty is for the life of the pistol. It doesn't matter how many people have owned it.

If they tell me I have to send the whole pistol in just to replace the extractor...forget about it.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:05 AM

C&S extractors usually need to be fit beyond just the regular tension bending, I have a had really great luck with Wilson Bulletproof extractors dropping in with just the bending tension adjustment (which is necessary anyway)
Old 04-29-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
It is likely a MIM part. I just replaced the extractor in my Springfield Ultra Compact. Even in the Springer, the extractor is a MIM part. On mine, the hook that grabs the shell broke.
The extractor in the picture is clearly not a MIM made extractor, it's just poorly made. If it were MIM made, the surfaces would be smooth and there would be a popper mark.

Since Colt tried it and showed it wasn't a good idea, nobody uses a MIM made internal extractor, not Taurus, not Springfield, nor anybody else.

Pics of Colt MIM made extractors showing the "sprue" marks which you would have to have (but they don't have to be rectangular.) http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=134034

Last edited by Kruzr; 04-29-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:33 PM

My extractor's "hook" broke after the 3rd range trip. I bought a ed brown as a replacement. Called taurus and they sent me a new one a week later.. now I have two so if something happens I always have a spare and will just keep calling taurus as they break. I can't stand MIM parts... such garbage. I wasn't going to send my gun in to a extractor replacement, and I hope you don't either.. From everything that I have heard you will be WEEKS without your gun... So far my experience with them is good since it took less than a week to get my extractor.

-Nigel
Old 04-29-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy View Post
I can't stand MIM parts... such garbage. I wasn't going to send my gun in to a extractor replacement, and I hope you don't either.. From everything that I have heard you will be WEEKS without your gun... So far my experience with them is good since it took less than a week to get my extractor.

-Nigel
I'm not sending it to Taurus.

As far as MIM goes, I know a lot of people insist that the Taurus extractor is not MIM however, Taurus has their own internal division dedicated to the MIM process. I have read from other sites that the extractor is in fact MIM. It appears as if Colt wasn't the only one to use MIM and fail at it. The only way to confirm if it is MIM is to call Taurus (the proverbial horses mouth) and ask. This is what I will do tomorrow when I request they send me a replacement extractor (I will keep as a spare).

Last edited by Martensite; 04-29-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I'm not sending it to Taurus.

As far as MIM goes, I know a lot of people insist that the Taurus extractor is not MIM however, Taurus has their own internal division dedicated to the MIM process. I have read from other sites that the extractor is in fact MIM. It appears as if Colt wasn't the only one to use MIM and fail at it. The only way to confirm if it is MIM is to call Taurus (the proverbial horses mouth) and ask. This is what I will do tomorrow when I request they send me a replacement extractor (I will keep as a spare).
You can look at the part and see if it is MIM made. The one in the picture is not but feel free to believe what you want. It looks like a cast part that was poorly machined.

BTW, Imbel (Springfield) and Kimber also make their own MIM parts but neither uses a MIM made extractor.

Last edited by Kruzr; 04-30-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:50 PM

add another to the broken extractor list.

Went Ed Brown hardcore series 70 (obviously deleted all the plunger hardware) and it work great so far, which is only two mags. my taurus extractor broke after about 250 rounds on it.

The ed brown only required basic tension adjustment to get it running.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:03 AM
Banned

Has any one ever had a problem with a Taraus slide stops. It may be a non issue, but it seems if they are had the extractor issue at one point, slide stops could be an issue also. Maybe I am paranoid because I had one break in half and it was hollow inside is why. No it was not a Taraus but para is now sanomous with paranoid to me if you catch my drift.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzr View Post
You can look at the part and see if it is MIM made. The one in the picture is not but feel free to believe what you want. It looks like a cast part that was poorly machined.

BTW, Imbel (Springfield) and Kimber also make their own MIM parts but neither uses a MIM made extractor.
Well...I called Taurus. They will not send me a new extractor because the gun is over a year old. They want me to send the whole pistol in which I'm not going to do. They wanted to charge me $16 for a new extractor if I absolutely have to have one and don't want to send the pistol in.

In addition, I asked the rep (Louis) whether the PT1911 stainless extractor is MIM or cast. He put me on hold to ask someone else. He came back on the line and stated they were 99% sure that it was MIM. I stated that I would prefer that he be 100% sure. He said he would double check for me by emailing the factory rep in Brazil (which is where the extractors are made) and get a definitive answer for me. He told me he would call me back after the email was answered and let me know. I asked if he would email me their response and he stated that their email was for internal use only. So...he took my phone number and stated he would call once he received an answer. He was very polite over the phone.

If Taurus contacts me back and informs me that the extractor is MIM...I'm afraid I'm going to have to believe the Manufacturer. Quite honestly, the extractor looks like a MIM part that was molded with excess and then machined. Or, their MIM molds were made off of a machined extractor.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:13 PM

if it is MIM, there should be a couple spherical dots on there somewhere where they do the injection
NRA Life Member
Old 04-30-2012, 08:22 PM

gonna have to take mine out and look at it now
Old 04-30-2012, 11:05 PM

Firing pin plungers in Tauri are not standard either. I ordered one and it was not even close to the size my Taurus had.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ View Post
add another to the broken extractor list.

Went Ed Brown hardcore series 70 (obviously deleted all the plunger hardware) and it work great so far, which is only two mags. my taurus extractor broke after about 250 rounds on it.

The ed brown only required basic tension adjustment to get it running.
I forgot to add I went this route as well by deleting the plunger hardware and getting the shim at brownells (less than 5 bucks I think) I also replaced the firing pin with a s/s ed brown and use their heavy duty hardcore firing pin spring. Couldn't be happier remove that usless other crap. (makes for putting the gun back together much easier!)

-Nigel
Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Well...I called Taurus. They will not send me a new extractor because the gun is over a year old. They want me to send the whole pistol in which I'm not going to do. They wanted to charge me $16 for a new extractor if I absolutely have to have one and don't want to send the pistol in.

In addition, I asked the rep (Louis) whether the PT1911 stainless extractor is MIM or cast. He put me on hold to ask someone else. He came back on the line and stated they were 99% sure that it was MIM. I stated that I would prefer that he be 100% sure. He said he would double check for me by emailing the factory rep in Brazil (which is where the extractors are made) and get a definitive answer for me. He told me he would call me back after the email was answered and let me know. I asked if he would email me their response and he stated that their email was for internal use only. So...he took my phone number and stated he would call once he received an answer. He was very polite over the phone.

If Taurus contacts me back and informs me that the extractor is MIM...I'm afraid I'm going to have to believe the Manufacturer. Quite honestly, the extractor looks like a MIM part that was molded with excess and then machined. Or, their MIM molds were made off of a machined extractor.

Just KEEP calling until they send you an extractor. Parts are lifetime warranty if I remember correctly, no??? Sounds like a typical experience when manufactures don't want to deal with it or you just get the wrong rep. Call back again honestly and get a new extractor. Hell if they are going to charge you $16 just spend the extra $15 and go with a name brand one then at that point that isn't going to break...Get the series 80 shim to delete the series 80 plunger and then you won't have to worry about having to stick with a specific taurus part via firing pin, extractor, springs..etc.

-Nigel