1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Smith & Wesson

Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 AM

Slide release binding.

Took my 108284 and put another 100 rounds through it this weekend. At the end I tried to release the slide and it wouldn't go forward on the empty mag. Using Wilson Combat mags, had no malfunctions at all with my reloads. So I dropped the mag, and was able to release the slide. Tried inserting the mag, and rack the slide, still tried a huge amount of force and the slide would not release. After several attempts I did manage to get the slide to release on the empty mag, but only with excess force. Can't imagine the gun was excessively dirty from only 100 rounds, as it had been cleaned before the range session, and oiled and slide greased. Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:23 PM

Normal!!! The empty mag folower is keeping upward pressure on the slide release. Always remove the empty mag before you attempt to release the slide.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bellino View Post
Normal!!! The empty mag folower is keeping upward pressure on the slide release. Always remove the empty mag before you attempt to release the slide.
Thanks Jim! This is something that I normally due, (release slide on an empty mag), was just amazed I couldn't.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:42 AM

This also tells you that you have good strong mag springs which are needed for reliability to insure last couple of rounds in mag will feed properly.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:33 PM

Noticed this myself when I still had my Wilson mags. The mag spring is especially heavy with the mags. A good thing really. Sends the mag flying out when I hit the mag release.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:56 PM

Perfectly normal. Also keeps you out of the habit of dropping the slide on an empty chamber.