1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 04-02-2012, 03:46 PM

Colt Commander XSE (O4012XSE)?

Remember seeing a thread on the SA forum a while back where a forum member was looking for a Springfield TRP (and eventually found one!) and thought I'd see if anyone here can help me track down a Colt Commander XSE (Model #O4012XSE).

Long story short, I put down a deposit for a Commander XSE last November at my LGS. Had a chance to buy a 100 Year Anniversary model but passed on it because Colt was still using the duckbill safety instead of the newer upswept beavertail that they've been advertising since 2011.

Anyway, nearly 5 months later, still no Commander at my LGS and Colt Customer Service tells me that they produce these every other month... (apparently, they're still using the duckbill safeties so I guess I'll be asking my local gunsmith to install a beavertail safety when I do finally track one down!)

If anyone happens to come across one anywhere, would appreciate a heads up. =)

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:36 PM

I like the "duckbill" grip safety over what I call the 'goosebut", but you probably could have bought the "duckbill" gun then sent it back to Colt and got your "goosebut" probably for nothing, esp. if they put one in an add.

I know my .45 Defender has the "duckbill" and my 9mm has the "goosebut" Defenders are Aluminum alloy frames wiith steel slides.

Both my XSE Commanders have the "duckbill". A .45 and a 38 Super I bought used. These are also Aluminum alloy frames with steel slides.

For me the "duckbill" sits in my hand. I can shoot my Dan Wesson Commander size gun in 10mm and I wish it had a "duckbill" grip safety. I am not going to change it but "bang" with hot handloads and it is an all steel gun.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:44 PM

It's personal preference. I prefer the higher grip that I can get with the upswept beavertail grip safety. I actually had the duckbill on both my Govt XSE and my Defender before switching them to the upswept beavertail type GS that are on all my other 1911s.

Colt's position on the duckbill vs. upswept beavertail grip safety is that as a consumer, I have the choice to purchase the gun or not. If I don't like the duckbill, then don't buy it. (This is why I didn't buy the 100 Year Commander... I was hoping that by early 2012, the duckbill would have been phased out... as of today, according to Colt CS, they're still using the duckbill.)

Since it looks like Colt isn't switching to the advertised GS for the time being, I've accepted that I'll have to pay to "upgrade" to the GS I want. =)

Here's my Defender after I put some $$ into it after deciding to replace the duckbill GS.

Anyway, if anyone comes across a Commander XSE for sale, please let me know!!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:47 PM

Bought three XSE models in the last two years; Combat Elite, stainless LW Commander and a LW Govt. Model.

All have the beavertail GS.

I agree with Dakota; I'll bet Colt would have taken care of it for you.

I've sent Colts back twice to Brent; you couldn't have gotten any better service than what I've gotten.

Rick

Rick
Old 04-02-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
Bought three XSE models in the last two years; Combat Elite, stainless LW Commander and a LW Govt. Model.

All have the beavertail GS.

I agree with Dakota; I'll bet Colt would have taken care of it for you.

I've sent Colts back twice to Brent; you couldn't have gotten any better service than what I've gotten.

Rick

Rick
I wish they would have... but they didn't... Colt CS told me that I shouldn't have bought the gun if I didn't like the duckbill grip safety. If I wanted to get the advertised grip safety installed, I'd have to pay shipping both ways, the cost of the part and the installation.

Was much cheaper (and faster) to have my local gunsmith install the parts then to send it to Colt so that's what I ended up doing for both my Govt XSE and my Defender.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:05 PM

I have one I may sell if interested
Old 04-15-2012, 03:17 AM

Colt has been using that Duckbill since the '90's. I bought a Gov't model Enhanced in 1995 and replaced the duckbill with an Ed Brown GS.Much better
Old 04-16-2012, 01:12 PM

Brent will take care of you-he has my XSE 5" gun as we speak getting the beavertail put on no charge.
It is kind of strange how they all go down the assembly line and some get the beavertail and some get the duckbill.
But Brent will help you if you want to go down that road-
I also have them checkering the front strap and tuning the trigger a little, now I gotta just wait, that's the hard part
Old 04-25-2012, 03:04 PM

Lucky me...the 100 Year LW XSE Commander I got almost a year ago had the upswept beavertail. In fact, I haven't noticed an XSE Commander for sale around me (CT) that hasn't had this GS.

Of course, you see damn few Colt Commanders for sale here in the Nutmeg State. Odd, huh?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:47 PM

BullitBoy, wish Brent can help me find one first... at this point, even if it doesn't have the upswept beavertail grip safety... I've had a deposit on one with my local gun shop since November!

Legion599, nice! I wonder if the LW Commander uses a different set of parts than the standard Commander...
Old 04-25-2012, 05:51 PM

Except for the alloy frame; all other parts should be the same.

Rick
Old 04-26-2012, 12:19 AM

They disappeared from the gun selling/auction sites for a while but they're starting to show up again. Here's a link to a LW Commander XSE that had the 100 Years of Service roll mark on Gunbroker http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=283763720. I think I saw some others on there also if you don't want the LW version. Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:37 AM

My 2010 Combat Elite came with the Smith & Alexander beaver tail. It rattled like a diamondback.

I was looking for an XSE Commander on Gunbroker and came across one auction the had pics of two different guns. Only difference was the grip safety.

I think Colt should make up its mind and stick to one or the other. It's an actual Colt model, not a parts gun.
It is bad to have to fight. It is worse to have to fight and lose.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:31 AM

My new .45 Defender (not marked 100 years of service) came with an upswept bevertail. I was very happy. When I ordered it, I settled that it would have a ducktail. Maybe Colt has switched.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:28 PM

I purchased this one about a month ago! First Colt and 1911.http://forums.1911forum.com/attachme...4&d=1335486497
Attached Thumbnails
photo-2.JPG  
Old 04-27-2012, 01:10 PM

Thanks everyone!

Looks like Colt finally made the switch on the O4012XSE Commander production. Found a dealer that just got a shipment in all with the new upswept beavertail grip safety.

If anyone else is looking for the O4012XSE Commander, PM me (not sure if I can just post the info here) and I'll let you know the dealer (I think they have 7 left).

Now, gotta wait 2-3 days for the gun to arrive at my FFL and another 10 day CA infringement of my 2A rights before the Commander comes home...
Old 04-27-2012, 04:14 PM

Glad you found some!

Rick
Old 04-28-2012, 11:03 AM

Guess I'm crazy but I LOVE the "duckbill" on mine!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335628990.152964.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	80831
Old 05-07-2012, 06:17 PM

Can't figure out how to edit my previous post.

Please do not PM me anymore as I've referred more people than there were guns available!

Good luck to those still looking for the Commander XSE!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm777 View Post
Can't figure out how to edit my previous post.

Please do not PM me anymore as I've referred more people than there were guns available!

Good luck to those still looking for the Commander XSE!
I wish mine had come with the newer version. Although, I would not get rid of my duckbill...
Old 05-08-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespapa View Post
Guess I'm crazy but I LOVE the "duckbill" on mine!Attachment 80831
Do you want mine? That duckbill was the first thing I changed.

Carl
Old 06-06-2012, 08:13 PM

My Commander is home! It only took 6 months to track it down and 1 month to make a quick trip back to Colt but it's finally here to stay.

Thanks Brent for amazing customer service and keeping me updated during the whole time my Colt was away! Even sent me the photo above to let me know how everything turned out. Awesome!!
Attached Thumbnails
XSE.jpg  
Old 06-07-2012, 03:41 PM

Deleted... didn't read far enough to see that you had found one which made my post a null point.

Last edited by Siklid; 06-07-2012 at 03:44 PM.