1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 04-27-2012, 10:14 AM

Custom Shop: How Custom?

Apologies if this has been covered already, but I've been searching and haven't found a full answer.

How extensively custom a gun can the Colt Custom Shop make? Are they limited to modifying customer-supplied, already-made Colts and current production models, or can they do a fully unique 1911 from the ground up?

Also, in terms of workmanship, how do Custom Shop guns compare to regular production guns, as well as those made by the best semi-custom (Ed Brown, Wilson, etc.) and best custom (Lieberberg, Chan, etc.) makers? Are the internals standard factory-grade, or are they finely hand-finished?

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2012, 10:26 AM

Why not call up Brent and ask?

I believe they'll do just about anything you ask for.
Bill's Training Blog
Old 04-27-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr View Post
Why not call up Brent and ask?

I believe they'll do just about anything you ask for.
Because I'm not quite prepared to discuss a potential order. Also, while a maker's own words are useful, objective information is invaluable.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:20 AM

Here is a recent effort by Colt Custom:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...ounded+warrior
Old 04-27-2012, 11:22 AM

We can make anything as long we have a frame and slide to work from. In other words, as long as it uses a current breach face and feed ramp, I can get frames and slides in the raw and build from there. You should also have an end use in mind so we have an idea how to build.
Brent
Old 04-27-2012, 11:23 AM

Maybe I'm just too ignorant, but I can't really tell much from those photos.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:52 AM

There you go, straight from the horses mouth.

The pictures:

What you see there are the nearly completed "WWF Pistol #1" platform. 10 guns were built with the purpose of generating some cash to go to Wounded Warrior. The general specs are:

S70, blued, 45ACP platform. While not a MEU(SOC) pistol (obviously), it was inspired by that platform, and includes the changes I would make.
Harrison retro rear sight
Novak gold dot front
Harrison solid trigger
S&A grip safety
S&A checkered MSH w/ loop
NM barrel, lapped fit (I'm told these are sickeningly accurate guns)
6 tuned mags
Spare extractor
Novak thumb safety
EGW bbl bushing w/ serial number stamped
GI style ejection port
"Combat" style build (see Brents post - you can have a target gun from Colt, or a combat gun. Some concessions are made either way in fit.) Tighter than a "factory" gun, but not Baer tight.

This gun is the "Enthusiast Edition" 1911, and is reflected in the serial number. It really is what a bunch of us got together and decided a no-nonsense combat 1911 should be. Nothing fancy or frilly. Just an anvil tough 1911 for EDC, regardless of who you are.
Bill's Training Blog

Last edited by blr; 04-27-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:45 PM

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=326909

Example of their custom work. This was a combat build of a production gun but the quality of work that the CCS does is top notch (It's not the same gun anymore!!!!). As Brent said they will build just about anything you want. Brent runs the CCS so he is the guy that knows!

Last edited by Civil 45; 04-27-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:52 PM

go on the colts website and take a peek at their custom shop price list. i have a commander done up by them and i love it. they have several basic packages as well as an a la carte menu, depends on how deep your wallet is. and you can mix and match packages and a la carte items as i have. i also upgraded from plastic trigger and MSH to steel. i have another government model there now that will be re-done in Royal blue as well as have some awesomeness put on it. still dreaming up my next project .

also some quality factory engraving but thats some bigger dollar. maybe my initials ?

i strongly suggest searching here custom shop guns as well as any other custom guns and colts can likely build it for you. after you have a good idea of what you want, email Brent. hes super cool and easy to deal with. he will also offer suggestions as well. its his job after all.

lastly i would put their work up against any other national shop with no hesitation, likely at a better price and less time. i have heard of years wait times at some shops. and if you ever need to sell it , i really do feel the colts cs invoice will command a better price from a potential buyer since teh work was done at the factory

Last edited by ElToro; 04-27-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:07 PM

I will also offer this: right now the CCS is particularly cost effective compared with many others. And if you have the chance to talk with their people, they have some interesting perspectives on the way some parts should be fit. And they are often difficult to argue against.
Bill's Training Blog
Old 04-28-2012, 11:47 AM

I have something pretty cool and "modern" being done with Colt to a Rail Gun. Brent had fun spending my money.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:04 PM

I haven't posted much on here in the last year or so, but I am thankful (my wife surely is not) I started reading more.
Now begins the wait for a pistol to be built by CCS.
It will be a bit of a wait, but it has been a long time coming for me.
DSK would be (might be) happy with it

Brent really is easy to deal with.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:29 PM

Picked up my Rail Gun last Monday....could NOT be any more pleased. Fantastic job, tack driver, all the stuff...I love it!

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...il+custom+shop

I must say though, the WWP gun will always be one of the best things I've ever had the honor of being involved with. Can't wait for the 2nd batch.

Last edited by Plexi; 05-17-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:56 PM

Colt will do it. How much money do you want to spend?
Old 05-17-2012, 11:37 PM

Off the top of my head, I'd want, an enhanced Delta/rail gun, with a commander hammer, short trigger, a Wilson beavertail, Heine night sights, arched SA mainspring housing, checkered front strap, VG operator II grips in a custom SS/Cerakote black tu-tone finish. That would be as custom as I'd ever want/need. I wonder how much that would cost a person?
Old 05-18-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M21guy View Post
Off the top of my head, I'd want, an enhanced Delta/rail gun, with a commander hammer, short trigger, a Wilson beavertail, Heine night sights, arched SA mainspring housing, checkered front strap, VG operator II grips in a custom SS/Cerakote black tu-tone finish. That would be as custom as I'd ever want/need. I wonder how much that would cost a person?
You could start by going to their website and checking prices there. They list a EB and SA beavertail, not a Wilson, so you might have to supply your own. They do carry Heinie sights, although they are not listed, either. I've always figured grips are a buy what you want and install yourself proposition.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
You could start by going to their website and checking prices there. They list a EB and SA beavertail, not a Wilson, so you might have to supply your own. They do carry Heinie sights, although they are not listed, either. I've always figured grips are a buy what you want and install yourself proposition.
What good is wasting your time with small parts pricing when you haven't a clue as to what the base pistol would cost? It isn't like it is a factory option for a Delta to have a railed lower. What about rollmarks to the custom pistol? It isn't a Delta Elite anymore and it isn't a Rail Gun. Then there is the serial number for the same reason. Small parts are basically a none issue. You are going to pay for them no matter what. You can account for them easily enough. I should talk to Brent I guess. If my idea of a Delta/Rail Gun isn't too extremely expensive concept, I'll stop persuing a Delta Elite all together and save for the custom. One of the reasons I sold my original Delta was it didn't have a rail, who would have thought Colt would finally build a Rail Gun? It is like peanut butter and jelly, a match meant to be.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:13 AM

To quote brent, "We have been a custom shop for 175yrs, there is not much that is not possible."

They're building my dream gun now
Old 05-24-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rad View Post
To quote brent, "We have been a custom shop for 175yrs, there is not much that is not possible."

They're building my dream gun now
What is your lead time? I was quoted 8 months