1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Ammo Can


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Buckshot John Buckshot John is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas.
Posts: 70
+P ammunition and alloy frame 1911's.




So I purchased a Sig C3 for a carry weapon. I ran the pistol in with 375 rounds this weekend and had zero malfunctions of any type with ball ammo. I did however have 2 failure to feeds while shooting 25 rounds of federal hi shock 200 grain holow points. I am trying to decide on a reliable self defense round for carry. I am just going to assume for some reason or another my C3 didnt like the federal round. Now to get to my question. As many in here already know the C3 has a light alloy frame. I dont have the desire to carry a hot +p round but many of the self defense rounds out there are . Is it advisable to stay away from +p with a light frame? My 2 main choices right now are some golden sabers and the winchester ranger series. I am also looking at some speer gold dots and corbons. Any input is welcome.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-23-2012, 11:22 PM
interpol interpol is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 54
What kind of magazine were you using?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-23-2012, 11:32 PM
dsk's Avatar
dsk dsk is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 44,139
I stay away from +P rounds even in steel framed guns, personally. The .45 is powerful enough as it is, and I really don't need to beat my guns as well as myself up trying to push the edge of the envelope.
__________________
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Buckshot John Buckshot John is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas.
Posts: 70
I used the factory magazines and some kimber pro tacticals. The ftf happened with both magazines.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-23-2012, 11:57 PM
supervel supervel is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I stay away from +P rounds even in steel framed guns, personally. The .45 is powerful enough as it is, and I really don't need to beat my guns as well as myself up trying to push the edge of the envelope.
I will second that.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-24-2012, 01:02 AM
220swiftfn 220swiftfn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,136
If your feeding is "iffy" I'd go with the Golden Sabers 230gr. STD pressure. Their nose is really close to ball profile....


Dan
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-24-2012, 08:22 AM
WobbleZone WobbleZone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 997
I carry my Dan Wesson CCO (alloy frame) loaded with185 gr. +P. I generally shoot at the range with 230 gr WW White Box JHP, but shoot enough 185 +P to assure reliability. My reason has nothing to do with power level, though.

I do it because the Dan shoots overly high at 15 yds with 230 gr ammo, but dead center with the lighter bullet. And I haven't wanted to change the sights because the CCO is a hoot to shoot at 100 yds because the sights are dead center with the WWW 230 gr at that range.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-24-2012, 08:30 AM
DeltaKilo's Avatar
DeltaKilo DeltaKilo is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coloma, MI
Posts: 11,641
With the right springs and setup, you should have no issues.

For those who see no reason for +P, I'll point out that the higher velocity and energy equates into deeper penetration and better consistency.

YMMV, of course.
__________________
Igitur si vis pacem, para bellum.
http://www.sofrep.com and http://loadoutroom.com -- Check us out on the web!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rwYqGmVvzQ
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Buckshot John Buckshot John is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas.
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swiftfn View Post
If your feeding is "iffy" I'd go with the Golden Sabers 230gr. STD pressure. Their nose is really close to ball profile....


Dan
Yes after doing some reading on the golden sabers thats why its my first choice. I have been reading that they feed very reliably. And the fact that there available in std pressure. I figure I will get a few boxes of what ever I decide on and see how they cycle.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-24-2012, 08:46 AM
DeltaKilo's Avatar
DeltaKilo DeltaKilo is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coloma, MI
Posts: 11,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot John View Post
Yes after doing some reading on the golden sabers thats why its my first choice. I have been reading that they feed very reliably. And the fact that there available in std pressure. I figure I will get a few boxes of what ever I decide on and see how they cycle.
Also look at the Federal HST standard pressure. It's a better choice and feeds as reliably as Golden Saber.
__________________
Igitur si vis pacem, para bellum.
http://www.sofrep.com and http://loadoutroom.com -- Check us out on the web!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rwYqGmVvzQ
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Mustang Mustang is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: 35th and Shields..."312"
Posts: 2,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I stay away from +P rounds even in steel framed guns, personally. The .45 is powerful enough as it is, and I really don't need to beat my guns as well as myself up trying to push the edge of the envelope.
I third that...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-24-2012, 10:30 AM
chrysanthemum chrysanthemum is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North Texas
Posts: 4,112
I see more negatives/risks than positives associated with using +P in an aluminum frame 1911. I personally use +P only in connection with a lighter weight Barnes all-copper bullet and a compensated 4" all-steel 1911 (Wilson Carry Comp).

The only real benefit would be if you were in the one-in-one million circumstance where a normal P round would fail to stop a BG but a slightly -- very slightly -- greater penetration of a +P round would stop that same BG. What are the odds of that specific scenario occuring in your lifetime? But this, of course, is your choice based on your perception of the risks/benefits involved. There are some who feel inadequately protected even with a regular carry gun, a backup carry gun, multiple magazines, a premium combat knife, a tactical pen, etc. So everyone's a bit different here.
__________________
NRA Benefactor Life Member

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 04-24-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-24-2012, 10:39 AM
zulu zulu is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 34
great question!!!! Looking for a carry load for my Sig Ultra--Golden Saber & Fed HST will be my next range ammo to check out in my gun.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-25-2012, 04:50 PM
HAIL CAESAR HAIL CAESAR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaKilo View Post

For those who see no reason for +P, I'll point out that the higher velocity and energy equates into deeper penetration and better consistency.

YMMV, of course.
I agree.

Any handgun is weak, compared to it's shoulder fired weapons of larger caliber and power.

Use the best bullets with the most power you and your gun will handle.

"They all fall to a 45" is nonsense.
__________________
It's a weapon people, not just a shiny gadget to drool over and treat like a Ming Vase. Shoot more, do preventive maintenance, fix when broken parts eventually do happen, and shoot more. Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-27-2012, 11:00 PM
supervel supervel is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by WobbleZone View Post
I carry my Dan Wesson CCO (alloy frame) loaded with185 gr. +P. I generally shoot at the range with 230 gr WW White Box JHP, but shoot enough 185 +P to assure reliability. My reason has nothing to do with power level, though.

I do it because the Dan shoots overly high at 15 yds with 230 gr ammo, but dead center with the lighter bullet. And I haven't wanted to change the sights because the CCO is a hoot to shoot at 100 yds because the sights are dead center with the WWW 230 gr at that range.
Why would you feel +P's would insure reliability in a shortened alloy framed gun. I believe you maybe going in the opposite direction. If the recoil spring is two strong sometimes shooting hotter loads to compensate for it reduce's reliability. Just curious I use to feel the same way, and do not do it any longer myself.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-28-2012, 12:21 AM
HAIL CAESAR HAIL CAESAR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by supervel View Post
Why would you feel +P's would insure reliability in a shortened alloy framed gun. I believe you maybe going in the opposite direction. If the recoil spring is two strong sometimes shooting hotter loads to compensate for it reduce's reliability. Just curious I use to feel the same way, and do not do it any longer myself.
He meant he shoots enough 185 +p's to make sure the gun is reliable with then. Not because the 185's make the gun reliable.
__________________
It's a weapon people, not just a shiny gadget to drool over and treat like a Ming Vase. Shoot more, do preventive maintenance, fix when broken parts eventually do happen, and shoot more. Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2011 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved