1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 04-27-2012, 04:32 PM

Over expanded 9mm brass ?

So, I ran about 100 round of 9mm brass through my lee expanding die and I realized that I had not backed the die out 1 rotation. The brass has an obvious bell and has already been primed. Questions are: how bad will this effect the round, if any, and, is there any way to salve the brass and primer? Thanks.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:48 PM

Which die is the expanding die ? The one that flare out the mouth ?

If it is , and if you can get the brass to fit in the seating die then everything still good to go.

Last edited by gunnut606; 04-27-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryceatou View Post
Questions are: how bad will this effect the round, if any, and, is there any way to salve the brass and primer? Thanks.
I think you're going to have potential problems through the rest of the reloading process with those over-flared brass cases. First problem may be with the inability of the case and bullet to go into your seating die or seating/crimping die. Have you tried to seat/crimp these rounds? If they won't go in the seating die you're done.

My suggestion is to raise the depriming pin and try and run the empty flared cases carefully through your resizing die. If they will clear the inlet of the sizing die, it will remove the excess flare and your primer remains in place. That is best case scenario, then reload as normal. If you CAN'T get the case into the sizing die, and don't have a universal decapping die to potentially remove the good primers, I'm afraid you may have lost 100 primed cases.

Another thing to remember is that if you were able to remove this excess crimp, you've worked the brass pretty hard, and they may crack at the mouth sooner rather than later.
S&W M&P 15-22
Old 04-27-2012, 05:02 PM

Yes, it is the mouth flare die. I have loaded some, checked to see if they fit the barrel, and decided to shoot some. They shot fine but wouldn't really even cycle the pistol. I'd have to rack the slide and clear the shell every shot. I'm thinking it has to do with the pressure created in the round. Not sure if that's right though. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 04-27-2012, 05:05 PM

Yep, that's what I was thinking. Didn't really want to hear it though. Thank you for your input and help. I will run them through the resizing die with the deprime pin and see. Wish me luck. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john16443 View Post
I think you're going to have potential problems through the rest of the reloading process with those over-flared brass cases. First problem may be with the inability of the case and bullet to go into your seating die or seating/crimping die. Have you tried to seat/crimp these rounds? If they won't go in the seating die you're done.

My suggestion is to raise the depriming pin and try and run the empty flared cases carefully through your resizing die. If they will clear the inlet of the sizing die, it will remove the excess flare and your primer remains in place. That is best case scenario, then reload as normal. If you CAN'T get the case into the sizing die, and don't have a universal decapping die to potentially remove the good primers, I'm afraid you may have lost 100 primed cases.

Another thing to remember is that if you were able to remove this excess crimp, you've worked the brass pretty hard, and they may crack at the mouth sooner rather than later.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:07 PM

Sounds like you started at minimum, which is okay. It is common that minimum listed loads in most load books won't cycle most pistols.
I make up ten rounds usually, and if I get that result I up a couple tenths and try again.

It is the normal process.

Edit: I would not try to 'unflare' the cases, it won't make things better. As long as you can make rounds you are fine. The cases might not go as far for number of reloads but 9mm is cheap and plentiful. Just remember the die settings next time.

Last edited by GTOne; 04-27-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is the mouth flare die. I have loaded some, checked to see if they fit the barrel, and decided to shoot some. They shot fine but wouldn't really even cycle the pistol. I'd have to rack the slide and clear the shell every shot. I'm thinking it has to do with the pressure created in the round. Not sure if that's right though. Anyone have any experience with this?
it's not pressure as much as it is recoil impulse. light charges often don't produce a great deal of recoil. a slower gunpowder that requires a larger charge weight for the same velocity will produce more recoil - because it requires more gunpowder weight. more gunpowder = more gas, and more gas = more recoil, even if producing the same velocity as a gunpowder that requires less charge weight.

Last edited by superdude; 04-27-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:10 PM

You did crimp the loaded rounds, in order to remove the flare? Sounds like you need to bump your charge up.

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:45 PM

1 turn of the Lee die isn't the end of the world.
No big deal at all.
I would tell you to load a few and test them,
looks like you already tested and they worked fine.

You started at starting load,
now just work up the load slowly.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
are you limp wristing your shots?

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123598 look at post # 8

My wife had problems with normal cycling of her 9mm sig when using minimum powder loads but when I shoot using the same gun and ammo all is good. So I told her to stiffen up her wrist so to not take away the from the slides momentum. problem solved but also decided on loading increased powder charges to prevent this from happening again.

Bushmaster ORC in 5.56, DPMS Panther Bull 20 in .223, Citadel 1911FS in 45ACP, Rock Island Armory 1911FS in 9mm, M&P FS in 9mm, S&W 22A in 22LR
Old 04-27-2012, 08:11 PM

Well, I'm not limp wristing. I shoot all kinds of factory loads through it without issue. Good news is I backed out the depriming rod and they all ran through the resizer. The re-expanded them correctly. Thanks for the help.