1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 03-22-2012, 03:41 PM

Eclipse Target II- Strange looking bore

I got a used Eclipse Target II with a barrel that looks like this guy's from an old post. - http://forums.1911forum.com/attachme...5&d=1115073100

I hit mine with elbow grease and solvent, and there is no discoloration on the lands, just on the grooves. I also have the external extractor, but haven't run into any problems as long as I keep it clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Kimber02.jpg  
Old 03-22-2012, 09:58 PM

Looks like lead fouling.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:39 PM

What would cause a magazine to not fit fully in the grip? A friend and I went to pick up the Kimber he ordered(against my advice) yesterday and when he tried insert the magazine it would only go up about 2/3rds of the way. The gunshop owner took the grips off, thinking perhaps the grip screws were too long. It still would not accept the mag. We tried several different mags, only an old GI one would fit. Kimber, S&W, Colt and Taurus mags would not fit.

My friend refused to accept delivery of the pistol, the gunshop owner was po'd and did not want to return his downpayment, saying that he will send the gun back to Kimber and he can pick it up when they return it. My friend no longer wants the pistol, but that is a different story.

Anyone here have any idea what would cause this? I have seen it happen twice now but have no idea why it is happening.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:38 AM

Kimber Pro Carry II HD 38 Super Slide stop problems

I have a new Kimber Pro Carry HD II in 38 Super. The Slide stop will not lock the slide back when mag is empty. I have tried the factory mag and two different Wilson Combat Mags. The slide will not lock back after the last round. This gun is brand new with approx 200 rounds fired thru it. Any ideas?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:03 PM

same problem!

I had the same problem with my S&W 639. I tried polishing the barrel ramp, no help. I finally ordered a new heavier recoil spring and it is fine now.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:13 PM

Royal II FTF

Even after a break-in period, I would experience almost one FTF with every magazine-full (using hardball ammo). It looked as though the bottom of the case would hang up on the breech face and the rim would fail to slide under the extractor.
I cleaned the (internal) extractor channel (there was a considerable amount of crud) and installed a recoil spring heavier than the factory one, and the problem disappeared.

One of the Kimber stainless steel spare magazines that I bought separately from the gun, which came with only one mag, exhibits a strange quirk: if it is fully loaded and I try to insert it in the gun when the slide is in battery, it will not go in far enough to lock. Its twin from the same blister pack works perfectly. I have heard many less-than-flattering comments on Kimber magazines--what's your opinion?
Old 06-02-2012, 01:04 PM

Kimber Solo Slide Lock works too well!

I just took my new Solo to the range after cleaning it and lubing it per the factory instructions. I have 2 magazines and I used Winchester 147 gr Ranger, Speer Lawman 147 gr TMJ, Federal Personal Protection 147 gr HP and even tried some Hornady Zombie 115 gr HP. I got the exact same results with all the above ammo and both magazines, loading 6 rounds into the mags without topping them off. Every single round fired resulted in locking the slide back. It had to be manually pulled back and released to chamber and fire the next round.

I don't think I screwed up the reassembly after cleaning and lubing the pistol, but I'll take any suggestions. Does anyone have an idea what could cause this, particularly with all the different types of ammo and 2 different magazines.

Thanks guys!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:31 AM

you did not install the slide stop correctly
Old 06-04-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneharleynut View Post
I have a new Kimber Pro Carry HD II in 38 Super. The Slide stop will not lock the slide back when mag is empty. I have tried the factory mag and two different Wilson Combat Mags. The slide will not lock back after the last round. This gun is brand new with approx 200 rounds fired thru it. Any ideas?
Its probably tight since it is new. If you remove the slide and put the slide stop back into position you can then insert your mag and see how it pushed the slide stop up. I would put a little oil on the plunger and work the slide stop up and down to make it move smoother. There are other things you can do but if you are not familiar with how it operates I wouldn't mess with it.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog8774 View Post
My Kimber Covert slide would sometimes lock back with the last round sitting loosely on the mag follower. The recoil of weapon would sometimes move the last round up in the mag just enough to engage the slide stop prematurely, especially using ball ammo. I took it to gunsmith and he had "bulletproof" it by taking off some material from the slidestop, so the round wouldn't hit it but still have enough to lock back when empty. I love my covert, USMC edition I call it, but wouldn't buy another one. My next one will be a Fusion or Ed Brown.

Semper Fi
Devil Dawg,

I had to do this same thing on my Utra Super Carry. A few passes with the file and voila, over 2k trouble free rounds.

And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”
Old 07-05-2012, 06:58 AM

On all of my new Kimbers

I stumbled upon this little trick after buying my first kimber, a Pro Raptor (Blued). I now perform this "break in" on every Kimber I buy, used or new. It has always alleviated any function issues not caused by some other mechanical issue, such as a poorly fitted slide stop.

After multiple FTF and FTE, I disassembled the gun, coated the rails and inside of the slide with some cheap white Colgate toothpaste. I then reassemble and run the action back and forth 200 times.

Disassemble, clean repeat.

Disassemble, clean, lubricate, reassemble.

Looking inside, especially if it has a coating or other finish, you will see some very light striations where the coating has been removed. if the coating is on both parts, you should see striations on both parts. My Stainless Pro TLE II had a few shiny / polished spots.

This is a patented process so don't tell anyone else about it.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:11 PM

Kimber Aegis Ultra Extractor Jams

Just bought this new gun, took it to the range and 20 of the 30 PMC centerfire rounds would not extract. I had to manually pull the slide back to get them to drop out. I was loading only one or two bullets into the magazine at a time.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellap View Post
Just bought this new gun, took it to the range and 20 of the 30 PMC centerfire rounds would not extract. I had to manually pull the slide back to get them to drop out. I was loading only one or two bullets into the magazine at a time.
Pictures?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:34 AM

SS 9mm Target II, Slide wouldn't lock back

Problem: SS 9mm Target II, Slide wouldn't lock back on factory or other mags.

Resolution: Slide release was out of spec. Installed new WilsonCombat 9mm/38 Super Slide release. Works 100% now.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Let's limit this thread to discussion about common problems/issues and fixes.

Deleting a few posts on the last page to clean up.

Robert
Old 07-29-2012, 12:40 AM

For those of you with FTF, FTE and even slide lock issues on the last round, you may laugh at this, but my technique above has solved many if not all of these problems.

Last edited by fast eddie; 07-29-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast eddie View Post
For those of you with FTF, FTE and even slide lock issues on the last round, you may laugh at this, but my technique above has solved many if not all of these problems.
this actually makes perfect sense since Colgate toothpaste is an extremely light abrasive. i plan to do this on my new 9mm RIA.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:07 PM

It should do wonders on a RIA as it has a slightly abrasive finish. But remember its only patented for Kimbers.....

Old 08-25-2012, 09:18 AM

Fast Eddie, I am seriously considering your proposed solution to my Kimber Super Carry Pro. I love everything about this gun except the fact that I keep having this problem with failure to feed. Right out of the box you would experience 2-4 failures to feed per magazine. Was told not broken in yet. Kept having problems so Kimber said send it back. Next 300-400 rounds flawless. Now back to failure to feed problems, not as frequently as before, but more than I want.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepOne View Post
I just took my new Solo to the range after cleaning it and lubing it per the factory instructions. I have 2 magazines and I used Winchester 147 gr Ranger, Speer Lawman 147 gr TMJ, Federal Personal Protection 147 gr HP and even tried some Hornady Zombie 115 gr HP. I got the exact same results with all the above ammo and both magazines, loading 6 rounds into the mags without topping them off. Every single round fired resulted in locking the slide back. It had to be manually pulled back and released to chamber and fire the next round.

I don't think I screwed up the reassembly after cleaning and lubing the pistol, but I'll take any suggestions. Does anyone have an idea what could cause this, particularly with all the different types of ammo and 2 different magazines.

Thanks guys!
Was reading somewhere abouthis same issue. the fix had something to do witht the spring on the slide stop being incorrectly installed? try a search and you may find the answer to your problem. Hope this helps.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...olo+slide+lock

Last edited by nhen3311; 08-27-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:19 PM

ultra aegis ii doesn't slide lock with Kimber mags

I bought an Ultra Aegis II (original with the bobbed hammer) and 4 extra Kimber mags. None of the mags cause a slide lock after the last round is ejected. Is this normal? I haven't tried different mags because it's a 9mm and don't have access to full-size 1911 9mm mags. Anyone experience the same thing?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:29 PM

ultra aegis ii fte

I have an Ultra Aegis II in 9mm which experiences FTE's more than it should. I only run hi-qual factory ammo (Winchester or Remmy) through it, clean it meticulously after every outing, and keep it well-lubed including during an evolution. Let's exclude when I occasionally limp-wrist it

I've repeatedly read about spring upgrades and spring change timetables and it seems like noone agrees for this particular weapon? I've also read that it requires specific ammo but again no quorum on the matter? Any thoughts?

TIA
Old 09-01-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQDawg View Post
Fast Eddie, I am seriously considering your proposed solution to my Kimber Super Carry Pro. I love everything about this gun except the fact that I keep having this problem with failure to feed. Right out of the box you would experience 2-4 failures to feed per magazine. Was told not broken in yet. Kept having problems so Kimber said send it back. Next 300-400 rounds flawless. Now back to failure to feed problems, not as frequently as before, but more than I want.

The worst that can happen is it shines the rails. I have all 3 super carries and did this to them all. You will probably see on the inside of the slide where the KimPro finish gets worn away. I also advise that you use the TacPro mags from Kimber. Let us know how it works.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast eddie View Post
The worst that can happen is it shines the rails. I have all 3 super carries and did this to them all. You will probably see on the inside of the slide where the KimPro finish gets worn away. I also advise that you use the TacPro mags from Kimber. Let us know how it works.
Colgate as a lapping compound (awesome just awesome).
I used lapping compound on a buddy's RIA but I never thought about colgate before, it cleared up alot of the hiccups that were are common on this thread. Minor blemishes in the side to frame can have more of a negative impact than most think (FTF/ FTE ect). No pistol expert but I have used lapping compound on valves in engines and you would be surprised the difference when these imperfections are eliminated.

Last edited by Gungrave; 09-13-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:58 PM

mine is a PC2 (i wish i had bought the HD with the steel frame) and it was completely non-functional out of the box. after disposing of the magazine, replacing the recoil spring, polishing the feed ramp, and keeping it oily, i thought i had "fixed" a brand new $800 pistol. one year and a thousand rounds with no problems.

fast forward to today... i switched from blazzer aluminum case to winchester white box, i had a FTF on every magazine???