1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 04-26-2012, 11:55 AM

Could someone explain how Dawsons No Gap Ice mag well works

I currently have a techwell TGO on my 1911 with slme grips i made myself with a channel cut in them to accept the techwell. I was looking at getting the XT model, the one that goes all the way around the front, when i noticed Dawsons model. Can anyone tell me how it attaches? Does it come with its own mainspring housing or does it just attach via the pin? Also, if i paid the $20 extra for the no gap insert, do i need a special magazine without the lip sticking out or will it still fit? Id also like to keep the grips i made so does the magwell need the grips to be shortened (I am assuming they ride up the frame a bit) or do they sit flush with the bottom of the grip? If anyone has any ideas or pictures, i would be very appreciate.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:22 PM

The Dawson Ice comes with it's own special MSH. The no gap model requires a mag without the lip. If your mags have removable base pads Dawson sells base pads to work with the no gap. You do not have to spend extra for the no gap. They can be purchased with either the gap or no gap insert at the same price.

I'm not positive, but I think the grips must be shortened a little.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 04-26-2012, 07:17 PM

Yep to all that. Doesn't matter what style you want. Silver or black, flat or arched MSH, gap or no gap - all are the same price. I like the gap version to avoid the need to get extra basepads, but the poly insert lets you change the magwell to whatever version you want by popping it out and replacing it.
I put VZ's on my competition guns and they usually need a couple of swipes with 400 grit sandpaper to fit. 10 minutes to fit maximum. Best design out there IMHO

Addict
Old 04-26-2012, 07:41 PM

Everything has already been covered. I'm running the no-gap on an STI Spartan and it's simply just awesome. I'm using DP tuned mags that work with the no-gap magwell. While I have no experience with the Techwell, if you read the Enos forums, there are a LOT of people that are recommending the Techwell over the DP. For me it was a matter of money and I also didn't like how you had to cut the grip panels.

Either way you can't go wrong.
1911 Addicts