1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense

Old 04-26-2012, 11:58 AM

What is actually in my BOB in my first year having one

So I finally got a quality backpack this year and started transferring my crud from my duffel bag to it and I realized it was way to heavy (mostly nick-knack stuff) so I just kept the bare minimum and left everything else in the Duffel and threw in the back of my car, this is what was I have in my backpack (5.11 Tactical Rush 24 in Flat Dark Earth):

8 Cliff bars (I like them and this is enough to keep me and 1 other person going for a day, MREs are bulky and better kept in your transportation or for staying in your home during SHTF moments)

Rain Poncho blue in color (I'd like gray or green in the future)

Extremely mild first aid kit (Im not doctor so really nice stuff would just be useless in my hands, I would like to get one that has the blood clot stuff in it and larger gauze pads for maybe gun shot wounds or large cuts to skin)

Compass (I really need to get some maps, I lol everytime I run across my compass and I have not one single map in my bag)

Flash light that is always in it is a very used coast triple triple A battery Powered light very straight beam but almost no flooding, another is a Foursevens Quark 123 Turbo which is awesome but finding Cr123's in SHTF situations is gonna be a pain... but its a great back up weapon light too

2 Pocket knives 1 sog Flash II and 1 no name but reliable auto folder (I hate auto folders thats why they get put some where I can forget about them and know I wont take them out to use them like BOB)

1 coast gaurd style flare/smoke thing (not sure if its quite a grenade or "bomb") Its already expired but i test some other that I have and they still work great and this one is the best condition one I have and maybe I'll get some new ones next year, I dont have anything that would shoot into the sky, If its so bad I have to leave my house then attaining help is not my main concern, helping myself is my main concern, I'll light a fire in the woods if I have to get a in Air vehicle.

2 bic lighters and 1 Flint fire starter

Large Multi Tool Leatherman Surge Black

1 11-in 1 Screw driver, Has torque 10-15 big and small flat head and phillips (good for repairs on majority of things)

2 quality pens small notebook in zip lock bag

2 25 round boxes of Golden Saber 124+ P 9mm (for glock 17 the gun I would take if I had to leave the house, its lighter holds more rounds runs less rust risks)

A pair of speedo swimming goggles (I had them in the Duffel they are very light weight take any shape and maybe if I get near clear water or a clean spring fed river I could use to spear some fish?)

A pair of Oakley Half jackets in the Neat Glasses spot on the top of the bag

Hard use Leather gloves and a pair of mechanics gloves for building a lean to or working with wood in general hopefully to avoid getting injuries to my much needed hands

Unopened 3 pack of underwears (TMI? dont care )

1 pair of Multi-Cam BDU's (why camo? cause hopefully im already wearing clothes when I bug out and hopefully they are normal looking clothes, but when I find a nice spot in the woods to hide out I intend to slip into camo to give me the slight chance I might hear someone walking around my camp before they see me and I can flee and warn the others...)

1 BDU Multi-Cam Jacket

2 Tan Tees

3 Pack of unused extra thick hiking socks super quick dry supposedly (dont get my feet wet for testing I ought to one time to see how it works out)

1 Canteen that doubles as a cup or bowl for boiling water or cooking food

2 20 oz bottle of fresh drinking water bottles in case of actual rush home grab the bag and run right back out the door with no time for gathering anything.

thats about it and its right over 25 lbs already, I haven't weighed it recently, but thats what was in it when I checked it last.

Some regrets I have about my current setup other then what I put in parenthesis:

For one my backpack, I should have thought it out a little more, I love 5.11 Tactical gear and the bag is perfect size for the mobility I want and is well thought out in the compartment area, but... its FDE in color and has molle all over and looks like a military grade bag, and now that I have it and used it I realize people see me and focus on me longer then they might somebody using a plain black looking bag like a college student might have or a hiker the military look puts more eyes on me then I like I would much rather "blend in" but I love how durable it is and it would definitely out last any normal hiking bag or college students back pack.

I need some kind of water cleaning system even if its just Iodine tabs I just haven't found the best solution yet still researching that

I really need a nice large knife for wood working and fire making.

If your interested what gear I might wear on my person When I have no options left but to leave my house on foot its most likely a concealed glock17 brown or green Polo over a long sleeve shirt maybe a jacket if its winter, khaki pants (5.11 taclight pros most likely) my 5.11 8 inch taclight boots that I wear to the range a lot to keep them broken in. A pair of Polarized sun glasses a nice baseball cap a watch If I ever break down and buy one (I'm torn between so many options) wallet cell phone car charger for cell phone (more likely to break into a abandoned car then a house that I cant see inside of to charge my phone if need be) my tactical folder (Ak-47 Coldsteel) my Foursevens Quark AAsquared flash light, my utility knife, Maybe my boot dagger depending if I am comfortable enough carrying it.

Only difference if its a war out side my window would be those clothes would be in the bag and I would be wearing the camo adding on that I would wear my Cross draw vest (in OD green) it has 3 ar mag pouches and 3 pistol mag pouches and I would be of course carrying my AR loaded up ready to go with my Glock 17 in the Cross draw holster with my Glock 23 as back up concealed for if I have to ditch the rifle and maybe even the vest because I'll still have something on my person for down the line if I need some form of defense.

Just another BOB system with only one use, when I have to leave my house as last ditch no other option scenario, anything you think I missed thats critical I'd love to hear it, this is new to me as I just made one for the first time this year so any advice is taken with pleasure.

I might bring Glocks with me out of the house for SHTF but my 1911's will defend my home while I'm still in it and I think they are "THE" Ultimate long term combat firearm, meaning if your staying where your at and defending that area with your life, its the best viable option because after the corporations go down and reloading ammo is the only way your getting ammo I'd rather have 230gr lead ball ammo then 124gr Lead FMJ 9mm any day under any conditions I dont care what anyone says. 9mm only keeps up in Ballistics because of modern ammo and if you take that away there is no contest between 45.acp or its big bore revolver forefathers and 9mm or even .40 S&W for that matter.

-Nick
Old 04-26-2012, 10:06 PM

Well you asked for advice so I will share my opinion. First off I would ditch the "tactical" stuff. I can't stand seeing people wear that crap they look rediculous. I am in the army and the only time and place for that crap is during duty. You said you want to blend in but your bag sticks out. Your 5.11 clothing sticks out too. There are plenty of bags you can buy that are durable and does not make you look like a Delta Dan. I would browse outdoor magazines for stuff that would work well for you.

I also want to ask what situation is this bag meant for. It seems like a bunch of that stuff is for surviving in the woods and once again I would check a magazine for gear that is good for that kind of environment. You say it's for when shtf but what kind of scenario are we talking about? I would only use that stuff if I was trying to escape new orleans after katrina or any other natural disaster of that scale. In that case I would avoid wearing multi cam or any other military style camo at all. During a disaster like that you dont want to be confused for the actual military/law enforcement/ rescue organization. Granted any military personel would probably tell you are a civilian in a second but I'm sure you could get in to trouble for appearing to be military/LE/rescue during a situation like that. If you really want camo for hiding in your camp I would stick to hunting camos.

You seem to be missing a sleeping bag. I would invest in a good sleeping bag, bivy cover, and compression bag. A bivy cover is a water proof cover that you put your sleeping bag inside and is good for if you need to sleep in rain/snow/ etc. A compression bag is a small bag you put your bivy cover and sleeping bag inside of then you tighten the straps on it to compress it to a smaller size. Think of the straps on the side of your 5.11 bag. You can easily attach your sleep system to the outside of your bag and now you have something warm and dry to sleep in at night that will work better than what ever you are planning to construct with a poncho. However ponchos are good for make shift tents/shade. You can even buy 1 man tents that are fairly portable too.

Now that we covered shelter (at least a sleeping bag) lets move on to food and water. Having some spare food is good but that can only last you for so long. I dont recommend getting MREs because they are bad and they take up lots of space. I would focus more on getting somewhere with a readily available supply of food rather then living on what you can find the in the woods. However water is still important and being able to use what you find may be necessary. I dont know how big iodine tablets are but I'm sure you can fit a lot of them in your bag. I have also seen a water battle from Camel Bak that has a purifying system in it but the bottle has to be recharged after so many times. Be aware just because it is clean to drink it does not mean it will taste like delicious bottled water. It will probably still taste bad especially with iodine in it. However you will need water more than food so drink what you can.

I would try your extra thick socks, it sounds like they will be extra hot. I have trudged through water before and soaked my boots. The key to getting your boots and feet dry again is to keep moving in your boots and to change your socks occasionally. The socks will help dry out the inside of your boots a lot.

Having knives and multi tools is good but dont have too many it takes up space and they become useless. You say you want a large knife for wood work and fire making. I'm not sure what you mean by wood work but I think I would just get a small hatchet. But then again I would probably avoid all that and just go for wood I can pick off the ground or easily break off trees to burn.

As far as other small items are concerned you need to get rid of 1 thing. You probably wont use the compass at all so get rid of it. Do you even know how to navigate with a map and compass? I do but I primarily use that skill to search the desert for small signs where there are no roads or anything else. I'm also using a protracter to plot grids or attempt to find my own location on a map if for what ever reason I get lost. You dont really need a compass if you are navigating cities or roads. Urban navigation is pretty easy and it is easy to get to a destination with out a compass or map if you know the area well enough. You only need maps and compasses and if you are in truly in the middle of nowhere which you should not be. If you do need a road map for what ever reason. I think your destination is farther than what you should attempt to travel on foot.

It's good that you have pens, lighters, and flint fire starters but there are a few thigns you should add. A hand crank radio is very useful. You dont need batteries and you can use to find out important information like the location of a goverment shelter/evacuation. A hand crank flashlight is good too. Avoid batteries as much as possible even with the best energy conservation skills in the world the batteries will die eventually and carrying more takes up space and adds weight. If you do need something to be powered I would recomend buying a solar charger. It is a device that charges an internal battery using solar energy and can be used to charge things like phones.

A flare can be good to have but you only got one shot and it can expire. Mirrors will work as long as the sun is up. Save a flare for night time emergency signaling. Gloves are great to have and I would have a pair or 2 in my emergency situation kit. Mainly because I hate having to touch nasty, dirty stuff.

As far as weaponry goes, use what ever you feel is necessary and will survive rough conditions. However dont go pack 200 rounds of ammo, you are not going to be in lengthy gun battles. Having some for defense is good but all out war in the streets is not going to happen and the best defense for that is to bunker down and avoid it at all costs. As far as your zombie apocalypse vest thing goes. Dont even think about it you will never need it and if someone saw you in that you would have the police all over you. I have friends who buy these kind of vests so they can use it outside of work if a zombie apocalypse happens or what ever bs scenario they plan to use it for. Trust me, ditch the military uniforms and tactical vests you are not preparing for a complete break down in society.

Finally you need to think about what exactly that bag and its contents are for. It sounds like to me you are preparing for some kind of almost apocolyptic event wether its zombies, super natural disaster, WWIII, or society meltdown and all law and order is gone and you are going to live in the woods. Based on what you packed you plan to survives a few days before help arrives or something. I would plan more for getting away from a disaster area and getting to the closest unaffected town rather than living in the woods.

I think you really need to evaluate what you want the bag for and be realistic about what might happen. Honestly most disaster situations require having a house with supplies rather than a bag that will only let you survive for a few days. I live in army barracks so my ability to prepare for emergency situation is extremely restricted not to mention if such a situation happened I would get called in to work and all that preperation would be for nothing. However when I am a free civilian again this year my emergency kit will consist of emergency supplies in a "safe room" locked in a durable plastic box.

I never really believed in bug out bags. I think the whole idea is rediculous. Like I said I rather ride out the storm at my residence where I can stock pile supplies instead of packing a bag with very limited space and walking to safety which would probably be more dangerous.

So there is my opinion on the matter. Everything I said is based on my own experiences, knowledge, and opinions. The advice I gave you is stuff I think will truly help you for the situation you are preparing for. I didnt mean to bash you for buying the tacticool stuff but I really do find that crap annoying. The majority of that stuff has no real use in the real world and the people it was designed for have a different job/life than you. It also seems you have not tested everything you have. You need to make sure everything works and you like it before the situation comes where you may need to rely on it. By the way dont forget wet wipes for toilet paper/cleaning!
Old 04-27-2012, 12:08 PM

To answer the main question I see you have, my intention of the "Bug Out Bag" is only for when things like hurricanes or earthquakes disrupt community's so bad that you have to leave not only because food sources are gone but also because its now more dangerous maybe due to break ins around your place of living, maybe even shootings too. I only made the bag this year from pressure of my military friends, I'm sure they are more worried about me having proper emergency preparation so as to make it easier to find me when they are called out to find and aid people, and I'm sure this is from their experiences with dealing with a lot of stupid stuff when they come to aid people vs preparing for a zombie outbreak which I think is a fun movie to watch but in reality if something like that happened and it wasn't put down in the first 30 days I doubt anyone would survive and it wouldn't be something you want to live through anyway.

From what my friends in the National guard said about when they were called into help with Katrina where people had been with out electricity or supermarkets for 3-6 weeks, it seems people lose their civilized personality and change into something else, pretty much everyone I've talked to said there were neighbor hoods in which AK-47 and hand gun fire was heard, they said they weren't close enough to see what happened but a lot of them heard it over the course of there service during that time.

You have some very good advice, makes sense coming from someone trained by our military. I am however retaining the goal to keep it under 25 lbs. I also would only go in the woods under the most extreme circumstances and your 100% right about the camo and I'm on the fence about it myself, but like I said earlier if its that bad maybe I would join a small group of people and create a small camp to live until order is restored or recreated in the "SHTF" scenarios in which there are quite a few but the best three I can believe are: Oil is gone or other wise under high restriction, The Banks collapse and no one can access their money or use their credit cards for food and gas, finally Civil war brought on by w/e you like (2nd amendment taken away, Extreme job loss, Obama getting a 2nd term (Just Kidding) but some form of extreme civil unrest) .

Having something to sleep in or on would be a lot easier to find during a situation then some of the things I have in my pack which is why I didn't include them

So if I have to cross a wide but shallow creek you would recommend changing my socks immediately or waiting after another mile then changing socks? This is a real question I've never researched this detail before.

Wood working like taking that small wood that I've picked up and cutting it into thin strips, I meant like a 6" to 7.5" fixed blade because I don't trust folders with that kind or that much use, a Hatchet in my mind has just as many uses as a knife but its better at hammering but worse at detailed cutting if dealing with small wood and normally has less cutting edge leaving less areas left sharp after cutting wood meaning less ease of use over short amount of time, a sharpener is something else to keep in mind, I think most durable hatchets are too thick in the blade to use the universal cheap v sharpener I could use on all my other knives.

I do know how to use a compass and more then reading north and south, but I probably wouldn't have the right map for the location I was in to make use of any skills anyway, I just figured having a idea north and south would help get me out of the woods if I got lost. Its lightweight I have no other use for it so I'm probably gonna leave it alone.

Damn I really need that radio I completely forgot about communication other then cell phone which has proven useless even when the majority of the unaffected parts of America cant use them just because of one isolated event (9/11).

I should definitely try putting two flares in my pack but they are heavy little suckers and so far proven really reliable which is why I have only one in there but I'll probably suck it up and put another in there.

Well I think we agree on the weapon and ammo thing (not the model of handgun course everyone likes different ones, just a reliable weapon you know how to use). However the zombie Apocalypse thing is kinda backwards cause if there is one and the first responders didn't stop it then that means they are zombies too right? so cops wouldn't be around to be upset with me and if military saw me they would say "look at that idiot, I got two packs of cigarettes that says he wont make it a day out here". Hopefully if there are zombies running around the police and the military will have better things to do then worry about someone looking for a place to bunker down in while wearing camo and a lightweight "tacticool" vest. I do agree under any other circumstances normally I would get nothing but in a lot of trouble walking around looking like that and believe me I really could do with out that headache, I use the camo for hunting because I also live in Texas and it works great when I'm out in the woods vs spending a but load on different camos to match my surroundings I have just one that blends well with all of them.

The bag does need some changes, I don't think for now I'm gonna change the bag because I did just buy it and as long as I'm not hanging a bunch of patches or anything "PMC" looking I think it will be ok, I would like to figure out how to reduce the military look of it but its not the main goal of its purpose.

Again all this "BOB" is for is when I have to leave my house as a last ditch option. I don't have the best setup in my house for providing water and food but even if I ran out I would leave just for that and go back to my house even during storms or civil war or w/e people like playing the what if, this is more for along the lines of if my house gets blown away by tornado or hurricane or earthquake.

Thanks for the help you sound like a pretty stand up guy thanks for volunteering to defend out country I hope you enjoyed your time with the military.

Toilet paper thats a good one, something else I completely overlook and would be unpleasant not to have in the woods. Pretty sure not having that is reason enough to never leave civilized surroundings.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:16 PM

Sir, a few points. These are based on the idea of being ready for things that are actually likely to happen, like breaking down on a road trip or being stranded at work because of weather or whatnot, but would still be useful in a Hurricane Katrina type scenario.

As has been noted, ditch the tactical stuff, particularly the camo clothing. It makes you stand out when you really need to blend in. Civilian outdoor gear is almost always lighter than .mil gear and often better designed.

As also has been noted, add some means of purifying water. That can be iodine tablets, a filter-type water purifier, a pot to boil water in, etc. It's wise to have more than one method.

Reduce your ammo to one full load in the gun and one reload. Ammo is heavy and not actually likely to be needed.

Add some cash, ideally a couple hundred dollars in various denominations. Don't just get all "C notes" or twenties. Have some singles, fives, tens, and maybe a roll of quarters.

Add some hygiene gear: toothbrush and paste, soap, foot powder, baby wipes, toilet paper, comb, sunscreen, bug dope, things like that. These sound trivial, but they're not. They'll make you feel better both physically and psychologically, and also reduce the likelihood of illness and injury. You can get all this stuff in "travel size" to keep weight and bulk down.

Add a couple space blankets and some cordage, like extra boot laces or 550 cord. These are multi-use, small, light, and cheap. A lightweight sleeping bag is great, but bulky and usually expensive. A cheap polartech fleece blanket is light and better than nothing.

Add some documentation: address book, bank, phone, insurance info, etc. These can be scanned into PDFs and kept on a USB "thumb drive" to keep weight and bulk down. Whether you go thumb drive or hard copy, protect them from getting wet.

Ditch the extra pocketknives and multi-screwdriver. These are heavy, and your pocketknife should be in your pocket. Keep the multi-tool, but make sure it has a can opener and bottle opener. Add a quality fixed-blade knife if you wish, though you likely won't ever actually need it.

Ditch the undies and all but one of the T-shirts. Keep the socks. Add a set of long underwear, both top and bottom, and a warm hat. Even in the summer in warm climates, it gets cold at night. Also add a light windbreaker, ideally Gore-Tex or the like, with a hood.

Make sure your first aid kit contains some basic meds like aspirin or Motrin and an anti-diuretic like Pepto-Bismol. Moleskin is good to have if you'll be walking a lot and blisters become an issue. The kit should already have band-aids, alcohol wipes, etc.

Add a map, even if it's only a street map of where you live. Unless you live in Mayberry, it's gonna be hard to remember where all the roads and rivers are and where they go. You don't want to hear that a relief center is at thus-and-such place and not remember where that is or how to get there.

The hand-crank radio is a great idea, but adds cost and weight, and would only be useful if things get really bad. Kind of a judgment call on that one.

Well, that got a lot bigger than I'd planned. Anyway, a kit like this will cover the most likely scenarios, won't make you look like Rambo on holiday, is light enough that you won't leave it at home, and would still be useful if things really go all to heck.

Hope this helps, and Semper Fi.

Ron H.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:17 AM

If you have to be self-reliant for a couple days there are a few things to consider.
Proper clothing is essential. Hypothermia or heat stoke can kill you. Make sure your pack has clothes tailored to both your environment and work load. (A brisk hike will make a long sleeve shirt feel like a parka, on a nice day...but once you stop for the night, you'll wish you had the coat!) Layers help immensely here.

WATER!
If you are doing any type of travel or work, you will need more water. A 20oz bottle will last you about an hour. Camelbaks are great. I highly recommend throwing a 3L into your pack. An average person needs about a gallon of water per day to survive. That doesn't include much physical effort... Want to go hiking through the woods?--you'll be at about 2-3gal per day to stay hydrated.
You'll need a good way to carry water with you, and at least one way to collect more and purify it (not just get the chunks out). For utility, iodine tablets are hard to beat. For taste, they leave a lot to be desired!

Food-wise, a couple days without food won't kill you. It will lower your mental and physical performance quite a bit though.

Shelter
If you are going to be mostly outside, you'll need something more. A sleeping bag, bivy, and pad are a good way to go without getting too much weight. It'll keep you dry and warm while you sleep (which is important for mental and physical performance). Adding a GI style poncho and some 550 cord can get you a small sun/rain shelter for very little weight, and the poncho is a poncho. (Multi-use items saving weight.)

Fire
Lighters are great when they work...but they don't make a bonfire instantly appear. Definitely evaluate your fire building skills and local resources. If you aren't the best and/or there isn't a ton of available tinder and kindling, you'll need to have something with you. Cotton balls with vaseline work. The Coghlan's "emergency tinder" works. Find something.

Cash
If people are around, it is a tool like any other. Make sure you have some.

Toilet paper/paper towels/kleenex
Not required, but definitely nice to have!
COTEP #281
Consistent dreamer of a larger firearms budget.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:22 PM

Thanks for all the responses, I've got this paged bookmarked as a reference for when I get the money to update my bag.

It is a home based bag so I don't have to have things like a sleeping bag and large water container in it or attached to it unless its appropriate for my exit strategy, if Im just avoiding a storm and going north to Dallas to a shelter then I would bring a sleeping bag and cushion but not gear for camping or any weapons in the bag.

I think a camel back is a route I want to go in the future, I can make use of it during regular camping trips and use it while making camps.

I really need to get some water purification items for my home never mind for my bag along with some long lasting meal replacements for the house.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:10 PM

Off the top of my head it looks like you overlooked personal hygiene/sanitation/etc.
Get some travel size hand sanitizer, some sun-block, good quality tweezers, some Vaseline or chapstick (a lot of walking will cause chaffing, and it can be used to help start a fire), small bar of basic soap, some basic meds like aspirin (as mentioned), a toothbrush, and anything else that is small lightweight but will make "roughing it" a little easier.

Something else I didn't see listed is cordage. Pick up some basic paracord.

Go through your daily routine and write down all the major stuff, do you need coffee in the morning? Add some instant coffee packets to your BOB.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac4788 View Post
It is a home based bag so I don't have to have things like a sleeping bag and large water container in it or attached to it unless its appropriate for my exit strategy, if Im just avoiding a storm and going north to Dallas to a shelter then I would bring a sleeping bag and cushion but not gear for camping or any weapons in the bag.
Uh, generally, I would say going to a shelter would be WAY down on the list of good ideas. Why? Shelters are where people go when they know they have to get out, but don't have a good plan or supplies. Putting yourself in a location with lots of agitated people without plans or supplies increases risk. Add to that you won't have defensive weapons, and you up the risk even more. In a Katrina type event, supplies and services for the shelter get cut off...then, welcome to the jungle!
Basically, I'm saying have a plan and the supplies to carry out that plan. Relying on strangers or the government is generally a less than optimal plan.

Consider storing a few gallons of potable water BEFORE a bad situation arrives. Even if it is as minor as a water main breaking down the street, you'll at least have some water around!
COTEP #281
Consistent dreamer of a larger firearms budget.