1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Nighthawk

Old 04-17-2012, 05:29 PM

I talked to rob potter and described my issues to him today. He said the culprit for the FTF was potentially a mag issue. He said one failure in 1000 rounds is no real alarm. He also said it could be a too tight extractor issue but he told me to clean my mags and inspect the feed lips for cracks. I told him I was going out to the desert on saturday to run 200 rounds thru it and would mark any mags with issues and see if that is the problem. As for the brass marks I was told its normal for commander guns. He has a gun with over 150k thru it and it has no finish on that side of the gun what so ever. LOL. As long as the gun runs Im gonna just get some copper solvent and clean it. Thats really all I care about is a 100% reliable gun. I'll keep you all informed.

Kenny

wilson combat tactical L.E., Browning hi power, Gemini customs GP100, Springfield XDS, mossberg 500
Old 04-21-2012, 05:44 PM

I just got back from the desert and ran 250 flawless UMC rounds thru the gun. There is quite a few brass markings on the gun though. Im thinking of just taking robs advice and getting some copper solvent and removing the marks. The gun ran flawless and he said its a common issue with 4.25 barrel guns. Wish mine didnt do it but she works. Ohh and I wont be using anymore wwb ammo. The umc ran just fine. So im gonna put this one to bed and just shoot the hell out of it.

wilson combat tactical L.E., Browning hi power, Gemini customs GP100, Springfield XDS, mossberg 500
Old 04-26-2012, 10:08 AM

Interesting. I actually found a couple of small little brass markings on my 10mm Predator after the first 85 rd fired.

They appeared almost exactly like this: ((( Three little curved scratches just behind the top of the ej port.

I was able to minimize them significantly by vigorously scrubbing a wet cloth over them.

I believe that this could be a result of the ejection port not being flared enough. I quicklu noticed that my Predator would NOT effectively eject live ammo by manually racking the slide. They would, 90% of the time, get hung up between the the extractor and the edge of the ejection port.

My Wilson CQB compact was the first ever 1911 to exhibit the same exact issue. It would NOT eject LIVE ammo and it would occasionally have brass markings after fring a few rds.

Wilson did fix this for me by simply flaring out the ejection port just a bit.

Something you may want to consider having Nighthawk do if you are forced to send it back.