1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Ed Brown

Old 04-21-2012, 10:27 PM

New Ed Brown!

I picked up my new railed Ed Brown Executive Elite today and drove straight to the range for a test drive. I'm pleased to report that the gun runs flawlessly right out of the bag and shoots dead on point of aim/point of impact! This is a drastic difference from the Baer UTC that I got a few months back and have been reporting on here:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=347874

As for the Brown, I ordered from Hammond in early October with the followig specs: railed frame, Heine Ledge Straight 8 night sights, Gen 3 coating, slime line grips, naked slide, trigger pull not less than 4lbs, and serrated slide stop bottom. I also added my preferred slime-line VZ Grips.

I ran 116 rounds of PMC 230 grain ball through the Brown today, and the gun ran flawlessly. I did not dissamble and clean it prior to the range trip and instead just put some oil on the rails. Accuracy was outstanding as I had expected. Here's a few shots of the Brown along with a cellphone pic of my target after the first 15 rounds. The group was shot with a two hand grip, standing unsupported at 10 yards...and 11 of those 15 rounds went into the same quarter sized group on the ten ring!

And as far as I'm concerned, the Brown v Baer debate has now been decided clearly in Brown's favor.

Thanks again Jerry!

Last edited by alfalfa; 04-21-2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: forgot to add trigger pull weight
Old 04-21-2012, 10:32 PM

Lookin' good! Don't see many railguns, esp an EE. Nice VZs too.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:14 PM

That's a sweet 1911. Ed Brown never disappoints in looks or function.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:41 AM

That gun looks to be setup for business!
1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, CQB 9mm, CQB Compact Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Executive Carry, Special Forces Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro, Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
Ordered: Wilson Combat: Tactical Supergrade Alchemy Custom: Custom build
Old 04-22-2012, 01:36 AM

Very nice pistol, Congrats; Great shooting too.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:32 AM

Nice sights.

Did Brown order those and install or did you provide to Brown?

How do you like the Straight Eights?

Craig
Old 04-22-2012, 08:41 AM

Good looking shooter. I also like an all business pistol.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:44 AM

Great looking pistol and some good shooting too. I really like the Heinie rear sight.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Nice sights.

Did Brown order those and install or did you provide to Brown?

How do you like the Straight Eights?

Craig
Brown ordered and installed the sights for me during the build. All I did was provide the part number of the sights I wanted. One of the reasons I went with Brown for the build (over or Baer), was the ability to dictate exactly how I wanted the gun built. Getting the Straight 8 sights was important to me, and only Brown would build with other brand sights.

And yes, I love the Straight 8 style sights. I have them on my old Series 70 Colt that I carry on duty, and I prefer that style night sight to the normal three dot style.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:49 AM

Congrats, a unique and beautiful Brown!

This build does bring up a good point many may not be aware of (in fact I was mistaken about it at one point).

As most know Brown will readily use other brands of quality sights on your build, be them supplied by the customer or simply having Brown order them.

What some may not realize is that you are NOT limited to a Novak style cut, notice Richard's gun has a Heinie cut, this is part of what makes it a unique standout in a crowd.

Enjoy your Brown, trust it serves you well.

www.hammondgunandtackle.com
Old 04-22-2012, 10:52 AM

Another stunning looking Brown!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:54 AM

Nice choice and nice shooting. I have only one EB, but it sold me on the entire line!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:31 AM

VERY nice! Congratulations on the new EB! Those are the "Diamond Backs", correct?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
VERY nice! Congratulations on the new EB! Those are the "Diamond Backs", correct?
Correct. Slimline VZ Diamond Backs in black g-10.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:39 PM

It would be a much sweeter look with the blue trigger.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:40 PM

Fantastic group on the target!!!!! Nice shooting!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:09 AM

Nice shooting Tex! And great looking gun as well. You must be so proud lol. Thanks for sharing
Old 04-26-2012, 09:53 AM

That's one of the best looking Brown's that I've seen. Nice, very nice.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:36 AM

Well, approximately one year and 7000 rounds later, the gun broke on me today. About 50 rounds into my range session this morning, I noticed the thumb safety felt different as I swept it on, and I looked down to find that the one of the stakes on the plunger tube had broken. Fortunately, it wasn't a catastrophic failure that locked up the gun, and I was able to finish the magazine without issue.

Unfortunately, the Brown is my current duty gun, so I will have to go back to carrying my Colt until I can get the frame sent off to Brown and repaired. Hopefully I can get an expedited repair!

Old 04-27-2013, 02:04 AM

Ouch! Sorry to hear that, beatiful gun you have there no the less. I would assume they will take care of you being a brown and all
Old 04-27-2013, 07:37 AM

Shouldn't be a problem with expedited repair. Call EB and mention LE and Duty Weapon. I think you'll be pleased with the amazing response.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:20 PM

UPDATE: As expected, the folks at Ed Brown took good care of me. They received the gun last Friday afternoon and had it repaired and back en route to me by Tuesday afternoon! Justin was easy to deal with and even offered to refinish the whole gun for me while it was back in the shop (I declined the offer.) All in all, the return was relatively painless and the gun was repaired and shipped back to me for no charge.

Way to go Ed Brown! The gun is going back into service on Monday.

No one is happy about their gun breaking, but it's good to know that the folks at Ed Brown are there to handle any needed repair as quickly as possible.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:35 PM

There are a lot of nay sayers who mention that another maker has the best customer service in the industry. To that I say horse feathers. I had excellent customer service from Ed Brown and expected you to receive the same. As you did. Two day service, half a day Friday, Monday, half a day Tuesday. Hard to top that.

I know folks have shied away because they read some bad CS reports. I believe some of those reports have been highly exaggerated.

I am glad to read it this, and glad you posted your outcome.
1968, 69, 70
Old 05-12-2013, 11:16 AM

Alfalfa, glad to hear that EB did a number 1 job in customer service in handling your issue. I'd echo what Jim said. Customer service after the sale is just as important as the initial purchase, maybe more so if you need them for anything.

I'd love to see some photo's of the pistol currently. GenIII is one of my favorites with some honest wear. I always look forward to whenever Emerson updates his pistol with GenIII finish, wears almost identical to blue which is a favorite for honest wear looking. At 7k rounds I'd imagine she runs and looks superb! (minus the hiccup)
Old 05-12-2013, 04:04 PM

Alfalfa - Great to hear the good news. What light(s) do you run on your gun? How hard was it to get the light broken in on that gun? Still stiff on and off?
I have a railed gun from another maker now, but I'd like a Brown. I love my SF, but would love to sell my other brand rail gun and get one from Brown if you can still order them.