1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Taurus

Old 04-25-2012, 03:50 PM

25yd comparison, Taurus, Springfield, Kimber

EDIT title was supposed to read 20yd comparison.

This last weekend I took out the Taurus again. This gun has always been my most accurate 1911. I own a SA Mil spec, Kimber Ultra Carry, Kimber Pro Crimson, and the Taurus PT1911.

This weekend my buddy met up with me at the range with his Kimber Custom series 1. And a Wilson bobtail.

And we shot them all at 20 yds. We fired about 800rnds between us, and we have both been shooting 1911's for at least 10 years.

Free hand the PT1911 came in tops, both of us agreed on that. The Wilson and Kimber fullsize within a half a cartridges's width apart. The Milspec shot great for him (all touching and tight), horrible for me (patterned rather then group 3-4").

I shot the Kimber Custom better then he did, but he shot the Wilson better then me.

We were pretty equal on the Ultra (good SD groups, but not nearly like the full size guns), and I shot the Pro better, (I had better it's my duty weapon).

But free hand standing the Taurus was consistently tighter for both of us then the others.

Off the rest the Wilson shot the best in his hands, with the Taurus shooting best for me and second best for him, and the Kimber full size right there.

Please note though that all three full size guns shot within a cartridges diameter of each other group wise, consistently throughout the afternoon. Pretty much equal, in group sizes, there is a subjective element to this comparison along with the measuring. Almost all the groups shot with the Taurus were 1 hole groups of 8. Pretty much the same with the Kimber for both of us, and the WC was extremely tight also, just not as tight for me.

The Taurus for whatever reason felt better gripped in the hand then the Wilson or Kimber. This was a point that both of us agreed on. On the draw from the bench, the Taurus took less "aiming" effort and felt more instinctual then the others for both of us. The Kimber was second in feeling that way, although I think the smaller black sights made us try harder the aim. The Bobtail just changed the grip feel enough to throw off the groups, I think with more familiarization with it it would be just the same tight groups.

After 4 years with the Taurus I am happy to say it still competes and holds it's own against the big names.

We experienced no malfunctions using UMC 250rnd bulk pack ammo. We shot them clean, we shot them dirty, lube was Tetra Lithium grease, Mags were a mix, WC47's Kimber TacPro, SA OEM, Kimber OEM, Taurus OEM and 6.95 CDNN mags. I think every mag was used in every gun as there was no real method, just what was on the bench loaded. No malfunctions.

Last edited by triehl27; 04-25-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:19 PM

Man! Sounds like fun. Makes me want to get out from behind my office desk and go shooting, lol! Well it seems that ya both are good shots....that being said, you won't probably notice a difference at 20yrds, being a good shot. I recently took out my Nighthawk GRP, Green fiber optic front and Novak Tritium green rear along with a VERY tight factory Series I Classic Custom 5" Kimber with no mods, black factory sights and was within an inch at 45-50 yard targets between the two. Justification of $2000 difference, no, IMO, but I like em both so no matter. Point is, ya may want to get out to 40-50 yards and you might have a different result in accuracy and follow-up shots, dunno, maybe not, but I know that 40-50 yards is by no means self defense, but something about lobbing a .45 projectile waaayyy further than needed and being on point is pretty fun! Glad to hear you had great results with ANY 1911! Nothing like good 1911 press.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:24 AM

in all honesty as i was sitting at work, i realized how much $$$ we sent down range. next toy is a 22 conversion.

it was awesome fun, and we definitely got wrapped up in it. but at 88.99 per 250, that was alotta change to send down range.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:13 PM

That is why I buy them. I don't care what it says on the side of the gun, I care about how much money I have left over to buy ammo. I want checkering all around and the PT 1911 is the least expensive of the bunch that comes fully checkered. All five of my PT 1911's will take out a normal size rat at 50 yards, and I have about $2700 in all five of them.