1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Nighthawk

Old 04-09-2012, 07:48 PM

Location: Amongst Ospreys, Chickenheads, and all manner of strange creatures.
2011 framed Talon...

So, I have been wanting back in the 1911 game for a while now, and recently decided that it would be a Nighthawk. I was thinking of a Railed 5" Predator as my next piece, but walked into work at my shop today, and saw a 2011 framed Talon in 45 that seems to be calling my name. According to the powers that be, it has been there a while, and I might have a great deal waiting on me when I walk back into work on Wednesday.

Any input on how these run? I am somewhat aware of the magazine issues that 2011's sometimes have, but didn't know if there was anything specific to these that pops up.

Thanks for the help.

Steve
Old 04-17-2012, 11:22 AM

Steve, this is my TALON. It was a purchase from my local dealer. I had a problem with it shooting 5 inches high and 2 inches right at 25 yards and the trigger was a little rough. It was sent it back to NH for those issues and to install an ambi safety. Within two weeks it was back with a new front sight, a smooth trigger and ambi safety. Have not had magazine issues/problems with it. I'm a big fan of NH we own 3 of them so far and I'm thinking of picking up a used T3 in all black that some guy thought was "too heavy".
SIG Scorpion, WC-Custom Bill Wilson Carry, NH Centennial 1 of 100, NH TALON 5", NH Ladyhawk, NH T3 LW, EB Kobra Carry LW, EB Centennial Edition, EB Custom SF, EB SF 9mm... Kahr PM-45, Glock 27,23,34,36; Kel-tec, H&K, Ruger, WC AR-15, Bushmaster, FN FS2000.
I carry a pistol because I have a bad back and cops are too heavy.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:29 AM

Here's my 2011 Talon. Flawless with over 1000 rounds through it
Old 04-18-2012, 01:16 PM

DSully, that is the EXACT gun I just put on layaway. Beautiful thing...
Old 04-18-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyegator View Post
DSully, that is the EXACT gun I just put on layaway. Beautiful thing...
Awesome. You will enjoy it man. Trust me. I have a Falcon too and runs nicely as well. Had a minor problem originally with it but it's a tack driver now. Congrats!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:24 PM

Some more pictures

Old 04-22-2012, 08:21 PM

Do you know off hand if it requires a different holster because of the frame, or will it fit in normal 1911 holsters? That, and mag pouches seem to be few and far between.

DeBlazz, I shot a comp'd T3 about 3 weeks ago at my range. It was one of the nicest compact 1911's I have ever seen, and the nicest one I have ever shot and I have really big hands. It would be a great addition.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:38 PM

Can't state that this is 100% true since I haven't tried every holster out there but 2011 frames will not fit 1911 holsters because the frame is a little wider. Mags tend to be a little expensive but places like Dawson Precision have them. You can also search for STI mags. Dawson has a nice kit and video on how to tune the mags for reliable feeding. I have a 9mm Predator and it had been reliable and a real tack driver. Shoots very soft particularly with hand loads.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:39 AM

My Talon fits in the same holster as my Falcon and my Wilson's.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:01 AM

I have a railed Enforcer that I ordered new in 2011. Love it. Close to 900 rounds with no hardball failures, using all NH mags. Had a couple while using HP+P ammo. I think that was an ammo issue though being that I wasn't using the higher # spring.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyegator View Post
Do you know off hand if it requires a different holster because of the frame, or will it fit in normal 1911 holsters? That, and mag pouches seem to be few and far between.

DeBlazz, I shot a comp'd T3 about 3 weeks ago at my range. It was one of the nicest compact 1911's I have ever seen, and the nicest one I have ever shot and I have really big hands. It would be a great addition.
You will need a new holster if you're talking about a quality holster. The specs of a railed gun are larger. Check with any custom maker and they'll say the same. I purchased my IWB from "Big Jim" at C5 leather. Great product, and definitely a friendlier price than some other makers. Some say you "get what you pay for", and you do with C5 - an amazing holster, mag pouch, and belt.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 AM

Do you guys know that the op is asking about the high capacity 2011 frames and not frame made in 2011!!!! Thats why he is asking about mag holders also. It was the FLX upgrade. Don't see it on there site anymore? That was short lived.

Last edited by goetztrp; 04-23-2012 at 09:18 AM. Reason: more info
Old 04-23-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goetztrp View Post
Do you guys know that the op is asking about the high capacity 2011 frames and not frame made in 2011!!!! Thats why he is asking about mag holders also. It was the FLX upgrade. Don't see it on there site anymore? That was short lived.
DOH!! I did not realize that. Well, in that case, it's a matter of opinion I guess. I don't recall actually reading that much about them. As Goetz said, they were short lived...
Old 04-23-2012, 07:38 PM

I got confused myself but thats what i think he is talking about. Dsullys gun is a reguler framed gun that the op says he has on layaway so he might be talking about another gun he has seen.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:40 PM

Well now you guys just confused me even more. Haha
Old 04-23-2012, 08:03 PM

We all got something in common!!!! We like Nighthawks and we are confused Nighthawk came out with the high caps for what looks like a short time but i bet if you asked you could still order one. That is a sweet lookin Talon Dsully!!!! My gun is black on top and gray on the bottom.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:13 PM

Ok, to clarify: goetztrp is correct.
I have a FLX (2011) Framed Talon on LW at my shop. I will post pictures of it in a few weeks once I have it in hand.
In the original pictures, DSullys Nighthawk looks like a FLX frame.
Sorry about the confusion all.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:59 AM

"I can see clearly now, the rain is gone..."
Old 04-24-2012, 08:01 PM

Well played sir, well played.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 PM

Yeah rains gone and the winds going to stop for a day or two. I'm goin shooting in the morning!!!! Cant wait to see your new gun. I dont think anybody around here has one or ever gave a report on one. What does it hold like eighteen rounds of 45 or something like that.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:39 PM

It holds 12, but I believe I can get the "high cap" mags from Dawson that will hold 14 pretty easy. I will be glad to do a full write up when I have it in hand. I plan on rotating it through my carry arsenal, so it will get use since I don't believe in Safe Queens. :-)