1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Taurus

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2012, 03:50 PM

25yd comparison, Taurus, Springfield, Kimber

EDIT title was supposed to read 20yd comparison.

This last weekend I took out the Taurus again. This gun has always been my most accurate 1911. I own a SA Mil spec, Kimber Ultra Carry, Kimber Pro Crimson, and the Taurus PT1911.

This weekend my buddy met up with me at the range with his Kimber Custom series 1. And a Wilson bobtail.

And we shot them all at 20 yds. We fired about 800rnds between us, and we have both been shooting 1911's for at least 10 years.

Free hand the PT1911 came in tops, both of us agreed on that. The Wilson and Kimber fullsize within a half a cartridges's width apart. The Milspec shot great for him (all touching and tight), horrible for me (patterned rather then group 3-4").

I shot the Kimber Custom better then he did, but he shot the Wilson better then me.

We were pretty equal on the Ultra (good SD groups, but not nearly like the full size guns), and I shot the Pro better, (I had better it's my duty weapon).

But free hand standing the Taurus was consistently tighter for both of us then the others.

Off the rest the Wilson shot the best in his hands, with the Taurus shooting best for me and second best for him, and the Kimber full size right there.

Please note though that all three full size guns shot within a cartridges diameter of each other group wise, consistently throughout the afternoon. Pretty much equal, in group sizes, there is a subjective element to this comparison along with the measuring. Almost all the groups shot with the Taurus were 1 hole groups of 8. Pretty much the same with the Kimber for both of us, and the WC was extremely tight also, just not as tight for me.

The Taurus for whatever reason felt better gripped in the hand then the Wilson or Kimber. This was a point that both of us agreed on. On the draw from the bench, the Taurus took less "aiming" effort and felt more instinctual then the others for both of us. The Kimber was second in feeling that way, although I think the smaller black sights made us try harder the aim. The Bobtail just changed the grip feel enough to throw off the groups, I think with more familiarization with it it would be just the same tight groups.

After 4 years with the Taurus I am happy to say it still competes and holds it's own against the big names.

We experienced no malfunctions using UMC 250rnd bulk pack ammo. We shot them clean, we shot them dirty, lube was Tetra Lithium grease, Mags were a mix, WC47's Kimber TacPro, SA OEM, Kimber OEM, Taurus OEM and 6.95 CDNN mags. I think every mag was used in every gun as there was no real method, just what was on the bench loaded. No malfunctions.

Last edited by triehl27; 04-25-2012 at 03:55 PM.