1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Nighthawk

Old 04-22-2012, 07:35 AM

Problem with with my ne NHC need advice

I broke down and bought a slightly used heinie signature 9mm recon and when I got it home and field stripped it to clean it up prior to taking it to the range, I noticed it has a strange issue with it where you can actually see under the front section of the slide and can see right into the recoil spring. I don't think this is something I've ever seen on any 1911, and I am fearing that this may be a manufacturing defect where the slide is not fitted correctly and is raised up in the front to where you can see right into the recoil spring.

Any thoughts or suggestions ? Should I take it back to where I bought it ? Call NHC ?
Old 04-22-2012, 08:18 AM

Texas, can you by chance post some pics?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:02 AM

You shouldnt be able to see the recoil spring. This is strange. Yes pics are needed.

wilson combat tactical L.E., Browning hi power, Gemini customs GP100, Springfield XDS, mossberg 500
Old 04-22-2012, 09:08 AM

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...spring+visible

Sounds pretty normal--ugly but normal. Search the gunsmithing Forum with key words "recoil spring visible".
Old 04-22-2012, 09:10 AM

Not normal on a 3k gun. I still need some pics.

wilson combat tactical L.E., Browning hi power, Gemini customs GP100, Springfield XDS, mossberg 500
Old 04-22-2012, 09:37 AM

It could be normal, pics of what you're looking at please. When I'm looking down at my barrel hood, I can see the recoil spring ever so slightly at the right angle.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:38 AM

The recoil spring can be seen as described on my Wilson CQB, Brown SF, LB (one of them), but not on the NH, SA Pro or Mil-Spec. Didn't look at the rest of them. Sounds pretty random.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:46 AM

It truly depends on what portion of the gun you are looking at and from what angle.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:56 AM

Are you looking right below the barrel hood/chamber? If so, this is normal. All of my Wilsons have been like this, even my Supergrades. Half of my Nighthawks too.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:50 PM

Providing pictures

so here are 2 pics where I have a light behind the gun and as you can see you can see right through the other side and the spring in the middle. Its right up near the front. I am beside myself and did not expect something like this on a $3K NHC, not sure what to do, and just haven't seem this before.

Your thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (99.4 KB, 184 views)
File Type: bmp another one.bmp (99.4 KB, 126 views)
Old 04-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Banned

I looked at the pictures and the gap does appear excessive.I do not think it will affect operation,but for a high dollar custom I would be unhappy.Did you not notice when you bought it or did you get a really good deal?
Old 04-22-2012, 02:40 PM

I seen the light!!! When i hold my talon up i can see some light and a couple coils but not like that.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlglen101 View Post
It could be normal, pics of what you're looking at please. When I'm looking down at my barrel hood, I can see the recoil spring ever so slightly at the right angle.
I looked at my NH Enforcer, and can also see the spring ever so slightly from under the front part of the slide. No biggie, par for the course. Just their design.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas5150 View Post
so here are 2 pics where I have a light behind the gun and as you can see you can see right through the other side and the spring in the middle. Its right up near the front. I am beside myself and did not expect something like this on a $3K NHC, not sure what to do, and just haven't seem this before.

Your thoughts.
My Enforcer is exactly the same. Will take some comforting pictures for you when I get the chance.

Well, maybe not exactly like that. It's very hard to tell. Those are very poor quality pics to try to make a true comparison. I'm not trying to knock your photo abilities, but it's hard to really tell.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:30 PM

Mine also have gaps

My T3 and my Baer both have gaps between the slide and the dust cover large enough to see the recoil spring. I purchased both new, saw the gaps before purchasing each, and never gave it much thought. After thousands of rounds the scratches, dings, and other imperfections draw an observer's attention away from the gaps quite nicely!
Old 04-24-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlglen101 View Post
My Enforcer is exactly the same. Will take some comforting pictures for you when I get the chance.

Well, maybe not exactly like that. It's very hard to tell. Those are very poor quality pics to try to make a true comparison. I'm not trying to knock your photo abilities, but it's hard to really tell.
I'd agree with Karl here. It looks like very low rez pictures and when I open them in a program I have to enlarge them and I get bad pixelation My NH is at their shop so I can't even look to compare it to mine. Just a suggestion you may open an account with a free picture host like photobucket and store your img files there. They make it very easy to just post the image link in the "insert image" box and there you have it! If I can help, let me know??
Old 04-24-2012, 07:39 PM

Of all of NH offerings, I would think that the Heinies would have the most attention to detail. Things like this are what made Vickers jump off the NH train.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTee View Post
Of all of NH offerings, I would think that the Heinies would have the most attention to detail. Things like this are what made Vickers jump off the NH train.
How do you know why Vickers and NHC ended their business relationship? Did Vickers or NHC tell you?

I don't know why a Heinie would get any more attention than another NHC.
"Not to be unkind, but signature lines loaded with inventory lists tend to strike me as some kind a plea for validation -- and an indicator that the member in question is probably chasing his tail to a certain degree." -AC
Old 04-25-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseGPresley View Post
I don't know why a Heinie would get any more attention than another NHC.
Probably because it costs more. They spend more time on them.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:39 PM

I own a few T3's, Falcon and Wilson... after reading this thread I checked mine.... I can slightly see the recoil spring.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
how do you know why vickers and nhc ended their business relationship? Did vickers or nhc tell you?

I don't know why a heinie would get any more attention than another nhc.
+1000000
Old 04-26-2012, 05:14 PM

Okay guys.
This appears normal on most GI length guide rod 1911 pistols. My SIG Scorpion you can see MOST of the spring. The NHs have a small "window" near the front of the lower frame and you can see about 5 coils.
My bull barreled pistols (Kimber Super Carry Pro and Wilson BW Carry) do not have this "feature".

This is a non-issue, IMO.
SIG Scorpion, WC-Custom Bill Wilson Carry, NH Centennial 1 of 100, NH TALON 5", NH Ladyhawk, NH T3 LW, EB Kobra Carry LW, EB Centennial Edition, EB Custom SF, EB SF 9mm... Kahr PM-45, Glock 27,23,34,36; Kel-tec, H&K, Ruger, WC AR-15, Bushmaster, FN FS2000.
I carry a pistol because I have a bad back and cops are too heavy.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:45 PM

Can somebody post a picture of this? I looked at my Wilson and it's tight as a drum, but I may not be looking at the right thing, thanks..Sorry OP I just can't seem to make out your pics clearly enough to see this issue. Since other folks can see these issues, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place
Old 04-26-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jst1mortym View Post
Can somebody post a picture of this? I looked at my Wilson and it's tight as a drum, but I may not be looking at the right thing, thanks..Sorry OP I just can't seem to make out your pics clearly enough to see this issue. Since other folks can see these issues, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place
Will, grab your gun. Hold it so you're looking straight perpendicular at where the slide meets the frame at the dust cover. Look closely at the point where the slide meets the frame. On some, as pictured, the slide sits a little higher thus exposing a slight view of the recoil spring. You made need to slightly angle the top of the slide away from your view almost as if you're trying to look under the slide. If I get a chance, I'll take a picture tonight.