1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 04-20-2012, 12:39 AM

Solo problems - can anyone help?

I'm still having problems with my Solo. It's been back to Kimber twice. The second time back, they replaced it with a new gun. I really like the feel of this model and want it to work. I just don't know if I can deal with the continuing problems.

I can't put 6 rounds in the mag then pull the slide back. It takes around 90 pounds of force to chamber that first round and I 'm just not strong enough the grip the slide that firmly. With 5 rounds in the mag, it will work OK. Is this normal?. Occasionally I get failure to feeds.

It's averaging about 1 misfire per 5 rounds. The last time out it looked like light primer strikes. I've tried several brands of 124 g ammo. Similar results with all brands (Fiocchi, CCI, Winchester). Do I need to go to 147 g ammo?

I've only got about 100 rounds through the second Solo. It's been a real struggle doing that. The first Solo shot well for about 100 rounds then started failing to do just about everything. The lock up grooves were just being hammered to death and became very deformed.

I have a 1911 Kimber Ultra that works perfectly. No issues at all. I've shot Glocks, Colts, S&W's, Rugers and Barettas (all semi-autos). Really haven't had any problems with any of them.

Should I just give up on the Solo or am I missing something here? Do I need to send it back any try a 4th one?

Oh - - yes I've got the slide stop spring hooked up correctly.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2012, 07:43 AM

I'd send it back again.

Let Kimber get it straightened out.

Rick
Old 04-20-2012, 08:07 AM

Well, I have given up on my Solo. It's an interesting gun but very poorly executed, IMO. Mine has been back twice also. And like you, I got a new one the 2nd time. I could never stuff 6 rds into a mag. Still lots of FTE's, even with the expensive stuff. And the locking lugs are getting hammered down again, after about 500 rds. Not as bad as the first 2 times, but they will eventually fail. So now I've got a $700 paperweight. Sounds like you do too.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:02 AM

I now have 180 rounds through my Solo since it's return from repair at Kimber.

It works fine now as long as I remember to lock the slide back, then insert a full mag, then release the slide stop and let the forward motion/pressure of the slide stop chamber the first round.

I can cause FTF problems almost every time I manually chamber the first round racking the slide by hand.

The way I described above works fine now for fully loaded factory mags and the newer extended mags.

I am a die hard Kimber fan, and while I like the Solo for it's looks and feel, I'm thinking it will be replaced for daily carry when the new Sig P938 is available for purchase.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:25 PM

I'm wondering if there are any Kimber Solo owners out there who haven't had to send the damn thing back to the factory at least once??
Old 04-20-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooden_Nickel View Post
I'm wondering if there are any Kimber Solo owners out there who haven't had to send the damn thing back to the factory at least once??
Yes.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:40 PM

The Kahr PM9 also has to load the first round via the slide lock. It even states that in it's owner's manual. Small 9mms have such tiny tolerances that you have to follow the guide or decide it's not for you. I don't know if the Solo is the same way about the owner's guide but it's not right to keep having issues so far after it's release. I wish to get one some day but not until these issues stop coming up.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:48 PM

Contact Customer Service and arrange to send it back.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/contact

Kimber Super Match II, Kimber Rimfire Super
Springfield Range Officer, S&W M637

Last edited by ehparis; 04-20-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-21-2012, 05:42 AM

My Solo

Sorry for your trouble. My Solo STS has about 350 rounds through it now and is OK. I did have some FTEs early on with 115gr ammo, but not with the heavier stuff. My trigger pull has lightened a bit and is real smooth. Like yours, mine is snug with a full mag. I have not sent it back yet and do not plan to unless it, all of a sudden, comes unglued!HTH Good luck and good shooting.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglerider View Post
I now have 180 rounds through my Solo since it's return from repair at Kimber.

It works fine now as long as I remember to lock the slide back, then insert a full mag, then release the slide stop and let the forward motion/pressure of the slide stop chamber the first round.

I can cause FTF problems almost every time I manually chamber the first round racking the slide by hand.

That's interesting. I wonder is that isn't just because the gun is new and the tolerances are still tight and will go away? ... I'm up to 3,750 rounds thru my Solo and am not having any issues that aren't human caused like getting oil in the fireing pin channel which will cause FTF issues.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebluevette View Post
That's interesting. I wonder is that isn't just because the gun is new and the tolerances are still tight and will go away? ... I'm up to 3,750 rounds thru my Solo and am not having any issues that aren't human caused like getting oil in the fireing pin channel which will cause FTF issues.

littlebluevette,

Honestly speaking, I wonder the same thing. I'll keep plinking rounds down range with the hope that eventually I will have the same good fortune that you are having with your Solo !
Old 04-21-2012, 10:48 AM

Take a look at the new S&W Shield, I had a early solo and considered one at a later date until I bought the shield. Its simply wonderful. You'll likely get top dollar for the solo.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:05 PM

The Shield is a very nice little pistol.

We got one in at a local shop earlier this week (comes with both a seven and eight round mag).

Rick
Old 04-21-2012, 02:25 PM

Kerryhot, I don't own a Solo but I don't think I'd be trying to make this model work. Lock up being battered, difficulty cycling the slide with a full mag, light primer strikes and you've been through a couple now.

The light primer strikes could be from oil in the fp channel/weak fp spring, but the other issues still exist.

I'd see if I was able to get an entirely different gun like a custom II, Pro Carry or another ultra. Hopefully ya didn't buy exspensive leather for the Solo just yet.

Good luck and sorry for your woes... Stinks when ya look foward to a new gun and it turns out to be less than stellar.
Proverbs 29:10 Bloodthirsty men hate a man of integrity and seek to kill the upright.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:05 AM

I've only had my Solo for a few months, and at first , ran the snot out of it for maybe 5-600 rounds. It has run good ammo 100%, and I carry it with 6 in the mag, and 1 in the chamber.
I received my 3 extended mags a couple of weeks ago and am really disappointed with the way they look/mate up in the gun. I've only taken them out to the range once, and did have some issues, but, I was trying to burn up some old ammo that I knew had been wet several years ago. I'm planning to get to the range this week, and try the extended mags with good ammo.
I lube my frame rails, barrel lugs, and barrel with Slide Glide, and the fire control parts with FP-10. So far, my pistol is not showing any signs of wear.
I think I may have close to 1K through it, and really SHOULD figure out how the striker assy comes out so I can clean the channel. From past experience with Glocks, and M&Ps, I know a lot of crap gets in.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:08 AM

"really SHOULD figure out how the striker assy comes out so I can clean the channel. From past experience with Glocks, and M&Ps, I know a lot of crap gets in."

RH45
I spray out the striker pin channel with a can brake and parts cleaner then quick dry it out with an air gun. I cleans it up real well but I don't know if it could l have any negative long tterm effects on the metal or the finish on the weapon.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWolken View Post
Take a look at the new S&W Shield, I had a early solo and considered one at a later date until I bought the shield. Its simply wonderful. You'll likely get top dollar for the solo.
come on if you got one post the real deal on it
trigger pull sucks on them people have been complaining about that all over on most gun boards
Old 04-24-2012, 01:47 AM

Update on Solo problem - -

Thanks for the input regarding chambering the first round from the slide lock. I was able to run 50 rounds of 147 g without any problems. Ran another 50 of 124 g Fiocchi and had 2 FTF's. Primer strikes looked good, so I'm chalking that up to bad ammo.

Close inspection during cleaning revealed no noticeable deformation of the lugs and grooves - yet. So far, so good. Will have to go another 300 to 500 rounds without problems before I carry it. We'll see how it goes.

Just picked up a S&W Shield in 9mm. I'm looking forward to see how it compares.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerryhot View Post
Update on Solo problem - -

Thanks for the input regarding chambering the first round from the slide lock. I was able to run 50 rounds of 147 g without any problems. Ran another 50 of 124 g Fiocchi and had 2 FTF's. Primer strikes looked good, so I'm chalking that up to bad ammo.

Close inspection during cleaning revealed no noticeable deformation of the lugs and grooves - yet. So far, so good. Will have to go another 300 to 500 rounds without problems before I carry it. We'll see how it goes.

Just picked up a S&W Shield in 9mm. I'm looking forward to see how it compares.
I'll be looking forward to your report on the Shield.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounty-hunter View Post
come on if you got one post the real deal on it
trigger pull sucks on them people have been complaining about that all over on most gun boards
If the trigger on the shield sucks, than my solo sucked harder. I also have a pro series 9mm S&W full size, it and the shield both feel about the same to me. My solo had lots of take up, over travel after break and longer reset compared to the shield and the shield doesn't gouge my finger like the solo. Aparently you can install the apex parts in the shield if you like. Try that with a solo!

Last edited by LWolken; 04-24-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:28 AM

I've had my Solo for almost a year Now and the only problems I had were ones that I caused. I broke it in as the manual required and it is now my EDC. It even eats 115 gr WWB all day long. The question that I have is Should I be worried about the paint comming off of the inside of the rails? I started using Gun Butter after I found the paint comming off.

The first round onto the chamber is a little stiff, but it's a very compact 9mm.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:22 PM

Check out the FAQ's towards the bottom.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/faq
Old 04-27-2012, 07:55 AM

Thanks Mr T, I haven't been to the Kimberly sight in a very long time. I lost faith with Kimber when I had problems with my CDP, CS was not helpful at all. But I love my Solo!