1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Ammo Can

Old 04-17-2012, 08:12 AM

Penn 230 grain tc bullets

Hey Guys,
I ordered a small lot of Penn Bullets in the 230 grain TC profile to do some testing for our club. I know that they have a good reputation, but was surprised that so many of the bullets had wrinkles all over their surface. The owner, when called, was quick to replace them with a new run of bullets that were a bit better, but still had lots of wrinkles. Have any of you had any experience with this companies projectiles? Once again, I know that Penn has a great reputation and anything can happen with a couple of lots of bullets. Any feedback will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:29 AM

Does noone out there have any experience with Penn bullets? Trying to find out if they're typically good, clean projectiles.....would like to have some of the guys try and standardize on the 230 TC, but the samples that I got were pretty wrinkled. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:10 AM

I just got 1000 of the same bullet. I am in the process of reloading them and have not shot them yet. They seem to have a lot of small blemishes. They do not look as good as the 1000 Precision Delta 230 grain RNFP I just finished reloading. I am trying the Pen because they are 12 dollars per thousand cheaper. I will make a determination as to buying more after I see how accurate they are.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:46 AM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma1cyr View Post
I just got 1000 of the same bullet. I am in the process of reloading them and have not shot them yet. They seem to have a lot of small blemishes. They do not look as good as the 1000 Precision Delta 230 grain RNFP I just finished reloading. I am trying the Pen because they are 12 dollars per thousand cheaper. I will make a determination as to buying more after I see how accurate they are.
If they're $12/K cheaper, isn't that reason enough for the blemishes?

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-06-2012, 08:13 AM

I just checked my sales receipts and the Precision Delta's actually come out to be approximately the same price. I forgot that they include the shipping in their price. I guess I will go back to the Precision Delta's.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:30 PM

For me Berry's plated cast are the way to go...excellent bullets they do make !.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:47 PM

I had some .40 S&W and .45 ACP bullets from him wit similar issues. the main thing I did not like was the inconsistencies. his molds are all not the same in .45, one lot I got two different bullets with different width sizes. during the match my undersized bullets were keyhole-ing bad.. went back to my old and trusty caster
Old 05-21-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat View Post
I had some .40 S&W and .45 ACP bullets from him wit similar issues. the main thing I did not like was the inconsistencies. his molds are all not the same in .45, one lot I got two different bullets with different width sizes. during the match my undersized bullets were keyhole-ing bad.. went back to my old and trusty caster
The problem with the 200 gr swc molds that got mixed was resolved and I did send out replacements with all blocks being matched. The Target Grade blocks are now running within 8 tenths of 1 grain of variance and the set is all matched.
The .45 230 TC set has been having some issues with the surface blemishes and I am putting a new set of blocks into operation to replace the older set. All .45 230 TCs from now will be run on the new set which will elminate the surface blems.

Sometimes problems creep into any mfg. process and I will always do my best to resolve those issues.
If the OP will contact me directly I will send him out some of the bullets on the new blocks.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:11 AM

I've got a batch of target grade 200 SWC's (hopefully) on the way to me soon. Got the call that he was casting them about 2 weeks ago. I've heard good things about Penn from a few places, so looking forward getting them. Will post up pics of the rounds for comparison when I get them.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:17 AM

Hey Guys,
I just sent an email to Bob with my mailing address and I'll let everyone know if the QC issues have been resolved. I know that Penn has a good reputation, and I'm not overly picky when it comes to projectiles....as long as the base is clean, the weight is within range, and the diameter is correct/consistent. Problem with the bullets that I got was that the bullets bases also had gaps on the edges. As I said, I'll report back with the anticipated good news on these bullets from their new molds. Take care, all.