1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Competitive Shooting

Old 04-17-2012, 06:16 PM

No peek reloads...

This is what happens when dry firing gets boring....break out the blind fold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r0v...e_gdata_player
IDPA: A28551
www.youtube.com/want2race441
Old 04-17-2012, 07:59 PM

Nice job!

I was walking down the hall of the match hotel last fall, and I'm pretty sure I heard the sounds of dry-firing or somebody racking the slide a lot from at least a couple of rooms.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:22 PM

Oh yeah, the night before a match in the hotel....definitely some fry fire going on. The night before the Alabama match one of the top guys was air softing a plate rack. In his hotel room. That's funny.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:27 PM

OK, gotta give you props for the no peek reloads. Tried it tonight, and my first run was humbling. Got better as it went along. That's hard with a single stack!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:56 AM

It's fun trying though. Actually the first mag is fairly easy, it gets harder with each successive mag. For some reason putting it on video added match type stress, which is hard to do in regular dry fire.

Fire up the video!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:13 AM

No peek reload

The video is great and shows the shooter has excellent ability to conduct a standing reload with multiple mags from one static position.

Fortunately, it is not often we have to reload three mags from the same standing position.....

When reloading on the move, I have a tendency to lower the gun closer to my left side and lower chest while moving, then bring the gun up to eye level height just before I get into the next shooting position. I am conducting the reload more with peripheral vision....

I only do an "eye level" reload when conducting a standing reload, or if I can take one step before getting to the next shooting position. I try to avoid a standing reload if at all possible, unless it is required for the stage.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:42 AM

I'll have to try this.

Usually, we drink the night before the match in the hotel room. I find hitting the range early and hung over gives me that little edge.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-19-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
I'll have to try this.

Usually, we drink the night before the match in the hotel room. I find hitting the range early and hung over gives me that little edge.

Thats funny. First stage jitters doesn't necessarily mean the same thing for everyone, I guess.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:57 AM

Drinking alcohol and shooting

I am not a big drinker, and never have been. I am usually a designated driver for my girlfriend and others.

When I competed in NRA outdoor Bullseye, we had a 2600 Master shooter, L. Cagey, that would often times show up on the line inebriated. The guy could barely stand up, but his ability to hit the target at the long and short line was amazing....especially in his condition. Leonard was a good guy, and always practiced good gun safety, so he really wasn't a hazard on the line. I once asked him why he drank before the match, and he laughed, "Man, that's my group tightener!" He usually won the match, so it seemed to work for him!
Old 04-20-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpetrone View Post
I am not a big drinker, and never have been. I am usually a designated driver for my girlfriend and others.

When I competed in NRA outdoor Bullseye, we had a 2600 Master shooter, L. Cagey, that would often times show up on the line inebriated. The guy could barely stand up, but his ability to hit the target at the long and short line was amazing....especially in his condition. Leonard was a good guy, and always practiced good gun safety, so he really wasn't a hazard on the line. I once asked him why he drank before the match, and he laughed, "Man, that's my group tightener!" He usually won the match, so it seemed to work for him!
I have a hard time understanding how an intoxicated shooter could be practicing "good gun safety." Seems like a HUGE oxymoron to me. I would never allow him to touch a gun on my firing line and I have run more than a few National Match 900s.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:50 PM

I like doing multiple mag reloads because it gets increasingly more difficult with each mag. Try it out. Get out the camera and video 4 clean reloads in a row. That was the original challenge put out. Yes, I dropped it to three for the "no peak" fun. Turning on the camera changes things. For me it adds stress.

No we don't do 3 static reloads, but the better we are from the back of the belt, the better.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:15 AM

Drinking and shooting

Quote:
I have a hard time understanding how an intoxicated shooter could be practicing "good gun safety."
I also have a hard time understanding how he could win the match against very good shooters, and still be able to have good gun safety....we had two other 2600 shooters in our club..... When I saw a movie with Jane Fonda and Lee Marvin years ago called "Cat Ballou" it showed Lee Marvin falling down drunk, but when he had a drink, it had a sobering effect.....I wonder if Leonard Cagey was his stunt double!

I do not recommend anyone being inebriated and shooting guns, but this guy's ability to shoot "under the influence" was so unusual it was amazing!
I know if I had been the Match director, he would have been disqualified, but at the time, I was in my 20's, and didn't know any better.