1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 04-12-2012, 04:25 PM

Kimber Pro Carry - Mag Nose Dive

Hey guys, I did a little searching around but mostly what I found in terms of mag threads were simply preference threads. Aside from manufacturer, I was wondering what I should look for specifically in a new mag to make sure it addresses my FTF problem.

This is my 1st 1911 and 1st Kimber. It's a Series 1 NRA edition Pro Carry. The issue I'm running into is when loading PDX1, as the slide comes forward to strip the next round...there round is nose diving directly into my feed ramp. The rear of the bullets in the mags are sitting flush against each other but nothing is supporting the front of the bullet since there's a gap there between bullets...and it's allowing the bullet to turn down as it's trying to chamber a round.

The mags I'm using currently are Novak's 8rd. blued mags made by Act-Mags. They have stainless steel followers that look like this:

Any recommendations of what to look for in a new mag would be appreciated. Thought about ordering new springs and plastic followers for it. Thankfully the stainless follower didn't beat the crap out of the frame when the previous owner had it. O.o
Old 04-12-2012, 04:46 PM

First thing I'd ask is, does it only happen with PDX1? From your post it sounds like it may be. In that case, I'm not sure the mag is the issue if it feeds other ammo fine. It's near impossible to make a gun accommodate a specific round it doesn't like.

That said, it may be the mag, but honestly I' not sure how easy it would be to tell how far the fed lips may be spread. If they are, it may be allowing the round to "nose up"and feed sloppy. But those aren't crappy mags and is likely just the ammo it doesn't like. You might try the "ammo can" and search on PDX1 and see if anyone has ever made any comments how it feeds. Generally you have the best luck with JHP's that have a profile similar to ball nose. Golden Sabre's are one, but there are others.

To answer the specific question though, I wouldn't shop mags to feed a specific ammo. A good mag will feed any ammo, whether the gun likes the ammo or not is something else.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-12-2012, 04:54 PM

Checkmate mags with hybrid feed lips as a possible solution?
Old 04-12-2012, 06:09 PM

I will be sure to check in the ammo can about PDX1. Unfortunately, this is the only ammo they had at my local Walmart and I just needed something to go bang after I traded my Glock away for this thing.

It almost seems as if there is too much tension at the top of the mag because the round nose dives before it ever really begins to be stripped. As soon as any pressure is initiated on the back of the round, the nose drops.

I will look into the hybrid feed lips as well as other bullet styles which may feed better. I don't think the PDX1 has an unreasonable profile but it may not be helping. I do think there is an issue at the mag level but the ammo could be contributing. Thanks to the both of you for your replies! Hopefully I will get to fire this beast Saturday and see if I can work out the kinks
Old 04-12-2012, 07:58 PM

Wilsons, with low profile bases work well for me, unless shooting in IDPA matches then use regular Wilson magazine bases.

Those ACT mags are junk and prone to trouble (my experience, anyway).

Good luck!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:13 PM

it's not the ammo. ALL ammo nosedives in 1911 single column magazines.

it's not the mags. well, okay it is. it's ALL 1911 single column magazines. nosedive is normal. it's undesirable, but normal. there are tons of threads on this. tons!

here's the deal with nosedive: load rounds in your magazine. notice that as you load more that a gap appears between the front of the top round and the one under it. as you load more rounds, the gap gets bigger. This gap allows the nosedive, hence the name nosedive gap. the bigger the gap, the greater the potential nosedive. there's also no known way to stop the nosedive. it's just mechanical forces at work.

follower design influences when the gap appears and how big the gap is until you get to 8 rounds. after that, the gap is the same size no matter what follower design you have or whose name is on the magazine.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:44 PM

Ok...well I want to buy new followers since the ones I have are stainless and I'm worried they may eventually mar my alloy frame. What follower in your experience leads to the least nosedive?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Link| View Post
Ok...well I want to buy new followers since the ones I have are stainless and I'm worried they may eventually mar my alloy frame. What follower in your experience leads to the least nosedive?
for a full size frame and 8 round magazine - Wilson Combat would be a good choice. They sell a kit that includes the spring.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Spring_F...nfo/266%2C45C/
Old 04-14-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Aren't those skirted followers in those mags? If so, there is mo problem.

If you just want to rebuild them, tripp has the best kit. Compare the follower to Wilson and you'll see why
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-14-2012, 07:49 PM

I took it to the range today and have 0 feed issues out of it. Didn't shoot much more than 50 rounds but oddly enough, everything fed 100%. FMJ and PDX1. Did slow fire and dumped the mags as quick as possible...so I guess I was worried over nothing.

As far as the followers, I think they are partially skirted. If that eliminates the possibility of frame damage then I will stick with my mags for now. I'm guessing my feed issues were those of a newbie. With my Glock, I could let the slide down as easy as I wanted and it would still feed every single time. I guess the 1911 is like the Kahr I owned. To feed reliably, you have to drop the mag on it...no slingshot feeding. Am I correct in that?
Old 04-14-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I took it to the range today and have 0 feed issues out of it. Didn't shoot much more than 50 rounds but oddly enough, everything fed 100%. FMJ and PDX1. Did slow fire and dumped the mags as quick as possible...so I guess I was worried over nothing.

As far as the followers, I think they are partially skirted. If that eliminates the possibility of frame damage then I will stick with my mags for now. I'm guessing my feed issues were those of a newbie. With my Glock, I could let the slide down as easy as I wanted and it would still feed every single time. I guess the 1911 is like the Kahr I owned. To feed reliably, you have to drop the mag on it...no slingshot feeding. Am I correct in that?
That is certainly true when the cartridges nosedive. but they can still nosedive and jam during live fire, which is why this topic comes up so much. it's not so much a problem when there is no nosedive.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdude View Post
That is certainly true when the cartridges nosedive. but they can still nosedive and jam during live fire, which is why this topic comes up so much. it's not so much a problem when there is no nosedive.
Well honestly, as long as it feeds correctly when the shtf (aka, live fire) I don't really care how bad it dives when I slingshot it.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
To feed reliably, you have to drop the mag on it...no slingshot feeding. Am I correct in that?
If you mean slide, no. Or yes. It's more reliable to sling shot than to release the slide stop, but once it's warn in and running well it should chamber a round either way.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRJim View Post
If you mean slide, no. Or yes. It's more reliable to sling shot than to release the slide stop, but once it's warn in and running well it should chamber a round either way.
Haha definitely meant slide...wife was hassling me as I wrote that. -_-
Well maybe my Kimber didn't have as many miles as I thought. It wont chamber a round slingshot right now though.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:55 PM

I'm a lefty and have always sling-shot mine (Pro CDP II with ~1500 round count).
Old 04-17-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Haha definitely meant slide...wife was hassling me as I wrote that. -_-
Well maybe my Kimber didn't have as many miles as I thought. It wont chamber a round slingshot right now though.
It being a Pro, if you don't know what the round count is, or what it is on the current recoil spring, I'd change that 1st. Wolff part #32725