1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > STI/SVI

Old 04-14-2012, 10:52 PM

SVI Frame vs Caspian Frame

Has anyone ever compared a single stack SVI frame and slide to a Caspian frame and slide. If so is there a noticeable quality difference?

Are SVI frames made from Barstock? If not are they Forged or Cast?

Just curious!

Thanks
Old 04-15-2012, 03:58 PM

SV cuts their frames from billet, i.e. barstock. No forgings, no castings.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:11 PM
More Cowbell...

Both are top shelf.

Back when I was looking into a single stack in 40, I tried to get a SV single stack frame. No dice. You had to buy the complete gun. I dont know if times have changed.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:12 PM

Nope, still can't buy the frames direct.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:32 PM
More Cowbell...

I remember sometime in the late 90s talking with Sandy at SHOT. I asked him about his new Single Stack that were just getting ready to hit the streets. I placed an order for a frame. Waited for a year or more. Called a couple times and got the "2 more months" line. Finally cancelled the order and bought a couple Caspian frames instead. No big deal

But man those SV frames sure look nice.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:11 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I wonder why more companies do not make their single stack frames and slides from bar stock! I'm assuming price is the only real reason. Although, I'm sure 1000s of people would also argue that it's not nessasary to use bar stock as cast frames/slides are technically fine.

I knew that SVI restricted their sales to full build only so I guess I was just dreaming or hoping that I could get a slide and frame as they seam to have a very good rep. They say that they don't sell them "to maintain brand quality" so would they sell their frames/slides to a reputable gunsmith?

As they are not available it looks like a Caspian for me.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:38 AM

I bought what I thought was a lightly used (5000 rounds or less) bushing .40 SV from a known shooter who had used it for IDPA. I found it had been built on an SV frame by a local gunsmith when I brought it to Sandy and showed him the upper lugs were not holding up well (it was fit wrong). He wouldn't touch it and explained that is exactly why he will NOT sell frames or give frames as prizes. Sandy was gracious enough to put another complete top end on it for a good price and I've been happy with it.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I wonder why more companies do not make their single stack frames and slides from bar stock! I'm assuming price is the only real reason. Although, I'm sure 1000s of people would also argue that it's not nessasary to use bar stock as cast frames/slides are technically fine.

I knew that SVI restricted their sales to full build only so I guess I was just dreaming or hoping that I could get a slide and frame as they seam to have a very good rep. They say that they don't sell them "to maintain brand quality" so would they sell their frames/slides to a reputable gunsmith?

As they are not available it looks like a Caspian for me.
I think there are a few smiths that SV will sell unfinished frames to. Don Golembieski at Kodiak Precision is one.

There are also plenty of other quality singlestack frame options other than Caspian and SV. Wilson, Les Baer, STI and Remsport all come to mind.