1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Ed Brown

Old 04-13-2012, 12:19 PM

fun & wet weekend ahead

I'm going to run my new SF good this weekend. I am shooting two lines at IDPA on Saturday, and my first 3 gun on Sunday. I've only got about 150~ (have to check my log) through the SF. I'm looking to put about 400 through it over the weekend. We're supposed to get some good T-storms too, but pretty warm weather. Wet I don't mind. Cold and wet sucks. Let's just hope the ACT mags perform as well as they did during the first range trip. Range report to follow.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:45 PM

ACT mags and the SF through some heavy shooting... hmmmm been there before and it wasnt pretty.

In a 1911 Operators Class by Larry Vickers - I took my SF and ACT mags to the class. Lots of shooting of course (about 400 rounds through the weekend) sounding familiar so far huh?

Well an hour into the class Larry saw my mags and said a few choice words and told me they are "junk" and they will break. He even pointed to exactly where they will break (back of mag at the lip / fold). Remind you he commissioned these same mags in his NH 1911 special build. Well approx one hour after he said that they will & where they will break.... guess what. I had my first mag crap out - exactly where he stated. Jammed up my gun something fierce too. Before the weekend was over I had 3 more break...

Came home and inspected the balance and I saw hairline cracks in two of the remaining four. I tossed the other two and moved to ETMs.

Not saying you are going to have problems this weekend, but I am saying you will have problems some weekend. Mine were all relatively "new" too. So if you have other Mags I'd bring them...

ACT is a good price... but then agian you really do get what you pay for too.

Good luck!
Old 04-13-2012, 03:08 PM

This has been an ongoing problem with ACT mags. When this first started happening, the Internet reports were that ACT basically said "too bad" but supposedly took steps to correct the problem. A year later, though, shooters were having the same issues with new mags. I sure wouldn't trust them for anything but paper punching without score keeping.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:55 PM

Good luck, trust you have a great weekend.

On a more sour note, it sure is sorry that 100 years in there should be any problem in getting a high quality 1911 magazine!

It should be a tried and true old recipe by now.

www.hammondgunandtackle.com
Old 04-13-2012, 05:11 PM

In all the "mag" threads I read, I never hear much about EB mags. I've got 8 or 10 that are about 15 yrs old with thousands of rounds run through with 0 problems. Course, I've got some Colt mags that are about 30 years old that I put rounded followers in that must have well over 20k on them. Maybe I've got good "mag karma", but have never had one fail ..... Any new mags I'm buying are the EB's in the original 7 round configuration.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45'r View Post
In all the "mag" threads I read, I never hear much about EB mags. I've got 8 or 10 that are about 15 yrs old with thousands of rounds run through with 0 problems. Course, I've got some Colt mags that are about 30 years old that I put rounded followers in that must have well over 20k on them. Maybe I've got good "mag karma", but have never had one fail ..... Any new mags I'm buying are the EB's in the original 7 round configuration.
what he said ed brown 7 round mags
Old 04-13-2012, 07:06 PM

45'r, In most of my posts on this forum and others, I almost put in a plug for the flush 7rd EB mags that I use in my KC. Never yet had any problems with these or the CMC Match Grade 8rd flush fit mags that I've used also..
Old 04-13-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar1tex View Post
ACT mags and the SF through some heavy shooting... hmmmm been there before and it wasnt pretty.

In a 1911 Operators Class by Larry Vickers - I took my SF and ACT mags to the class. Lots of shooting of course (about 400 rounds through the weekend) sounding familiar so far huh?

Well an hour into the class Larry saw my mags and said a few choice words and told me they are "junk" and they will break. He even pointed to exactly where they will break (back of mag at the lip / fold). Remind you he commissioned these same mags in his NH 1911 special build. Well approx one hour after he said that they will & where they will break.... guess what. I had my first mag crap out - exactly where he stated. Jammed up my gun something fierce too. Before the weekend was over I had 3 more break...

Came home and inspected the balance and I saw hairline cracks in two of the remaining four. I tossed the other two and moved to ETMs.

Not saying you are going to have problems this weekend, but I am saying you will have problems some weekend. Mine were all relatively "new" too. So if you have other Mags I'd bring them...

ACT is a good price... but then agian you really do get what you pay for too.

Good luck!
Believe me, I remember reading your story - and I think about it all the time. The only mags I have are 7 black ACT's that came with my NHC for a good price. I figured it was worth a shot at the cheap investment. So far, so good. I also have 1 stainless mag that came with my NHC, and the 7 round EB that came with my SF. After reading that the ETM's cause some jam ups for some EB owners, I was actually leaning towards the 47D's. I have a few on order already, I'm sure they'll be here for next month's IDPA =)
Old 04-13-2012, 10:48 PM

Karl, so did you have any trouble with the black NH mags? And were you running them in the NH? I'; had some pretty good luck with those black or dark blue NH factory mags so far, no problems yet. I had the thinking that they were an alright mag, as since I didn't have any trouble with them so far I keep them in rotation. Though maybe if I ran them hard in a class or two, some issues may crop up. I'll be on the look-out for any future evidence of issues!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:24 AM

I bought 11 of them when they were 13 bucks at Brownells. I still have 4 that work. That was about 3.5 years ago, right after I got my EE.

The first thing that started happening was slide lock failures. Then some of the springs went weak prematurely and finally I got cracking and spreading in the feedlips.

For what they cost, I got mixed feelings about them. I know in the time I have had them Ive run 1k's of rounds through them. But the same time frame my Brown 7 and 8's, Wilsons, McCormicks and Tripps still work with nothing more than a spring replacement here and there.

I wouldnt take them to a class I paid good money for, I also wouldnt take bargain ammo either though.

As far as a match it would depend. Local matches here are for fun and hats. So I wouldnt mind the risk.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:30 AM

Goodpoint on the ammo - too. We had a couple guys go cheap on ammo that they never fired before and they had nothing but issues - missed all kinds of drills and execises because of ammo failure. It was fun to listen to Larry pick on those guys too -

I have no issues with the ETM's in my 5 Govt Browns. My Carry models dont really like them, so I run 47D's in those - again with no issues.

I toolike the ACT (Novak) Mags price point - bought a whole bunch. Dont own any, anymore. Wish I had that money back now...
Old 04-14-2012, 01:59 PM

Will - I've run the ACT's in both my NH and EB with no problems yet. Knowing what I know from what I've read, I won't invest in more of them as I know Wilson's will do the job for both of my guns. But for the deal I got on them, I'm not complaining yet.

Well gentlemen, so far so good. No issues. I shot 2 lines and will tally the round count later today based on what's left over. I think the total round count is somewhere around ~200.
It was wet. It was gritty. She fed and fired whatever I slammed in there. I had 1 failure to go into battery, but I blame it on wet/cold hands. I shot to slide lock and had to reload, after loading the mag I didn't get a good grip on the gun for a sling shot and it rode home under my palm a little. I quickly tapped and racked and was good to go. It may have cost me 1.5 on the clock. I haven't really shot to be competitive time wise yet anyways.
Next month's match is my benchmark goal to really "run & gun".

Groups today were pretty darn tight with good timing. I didn't fare so well with my off hand on a vickers limited 18 round weak hand only course, but that wasn't the guns fault.

I let it get good and wet, didn't baby her at all. Mags got gritty, gun got gritty. Will post some dirty pics later.

I am noticing some real harsh scratch marks on the brass from ejection. Possibly a little too tight. It's not denting the brass, and it's really ripping those suckers out - so I'm not complaining. Just something to keep an eye on I guess. I'll take a pic or two of the brass for your interpretation. My thought process is - it ain't broke, so I don't wanna fix it.

Last edited by karlglen101; 04-14-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:44 PM

You gotta love a SF Brown. Congrats on a good weekend. Never meant any bad juju on you for the weekend - hope you know that? Am jealous - busy doing honey-dos all day today. Hope to atleast get to a static range tomorrow though. I carry my EC during the summer months and its been a while since I put any rounds down range.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar1tex View Post
You gotta love a SF Brown. Congrats on a good weekend. Never meant any bad juju on you for the weekend - hope you know that?
I know that
Old 04-15-2012, 03:25 PM

As promised, pictures. I didn't get to shoot today - it was rained out

I put about ~170 rounds through her yesterday. She was way dirtier than the pictures show. She also lost some of her "grit" in the pouch on the way home. I have a great camera, but not so great photo skills.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:09 PM

Main thing is Karl, looked like you enjoyed yourself!
Old 04-15-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jst1mortym View Post
Main thing is Karl, looked like you enjoyed yourself!
This!! It does look like you had fun! Great pics too!