1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Caspian Arms

Old 04-03-2012, 09:44 AM

R.I.A. slide on Caspian Reciever for a few months

Since it will be a while before I can afford a Caspian slide, and then the lead time to get it once I can afford it.... you'all think there is any detriment to dropping a Rock Island Armoyy slide on my Caspian Reciever?

And any suggestions on the best way to limit the fitting/lapping to the slide side of the pair.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

I don't see any problem. It should slip right on but if it doesn't I would rather see you fit the slide to the frame. This way when if you do eventually get a Caspian slide you'll have a true frame rail spec to work with.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Smith View Post
I don't see any problem. It should slip right on but if it doesn't I would rather see you fit the slide to the frame. This way when if you do eventually get a Caspian slide you'll have a true frame rail spec to work with.
I tried the slide on a Thompson/Auto-Ordnance frame and it fit fine. I'll try it on a buddies Colt Series 70 and Kimber tonight.

I have a nice quote from Terra, I just need to do a few more private lessons on the range to pay for the slide.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:30 PM

I fitted a old Colt commander topend to a Foster (Caspian blem) officer reciever. It wouldnt just slide on. The frame rails are oversize so you can create a tight fit to just about any slide :-). I also ran into that the barrel bed being oversize so you can get a good barrel to frame fit....so that may need fitting also with the temporary RIA barrel (if that's what youre using for now. They make files to work just the groves on the slide, but theyre not all that cheap. May be better in the end to just sell the RIA slide and save up for the Caspian you want to use. I know waiting s**ks lol....but hate to see you fit the temporary parts and later find you cant achieve a tight fit with your pernament parts because you removed material already from the frame.
COTEP #0443 USMC#0311
Old 04-08-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi1977m View Post
I also ran into that the barrel bed being oversize so you can get a good barrel to frame fit....so that may need fitting also with the temporary RIA barrel (if that's what youre using for now.
I'll be running a Kimber Match Grade barrel which dropped right into the upper nice and snug..

Quote:
They make files to work just the groves on the slide, but theyre not all that cheap.
good tools never are.

Quote:
I know waiting s**ks lol....but hate to see you fit the temporary parts and later find you cant achieve a tight fit with your pernament parts because you removed material already from the frame.
If things don't fit up nicely without too much bother, I'll just shoot my Thompson/Auto Ordinance while I wait for my goodies from Caspian.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:58 PM

sounds like a plan
Old 04-13-2012, 06:56 AM

Actually, the plan has changed, since I'm having the Caspian slide and receiver fit at the factory...

So now I have this complete RIA top end with no home.
Guess I'll need to find another receiver for it now! Or perhaps get a .40/10mm drop-in barrel for it, and also fit it to the slide.