1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Remington

Old 08-06-2010, 11:18 AM

Shooting report

I've had my R1 for 2 weeks now... so far put 300 rounds thru it plus a couple mags of club member reloads. I love it!! Only 3 failures to feed properly... but plenty of times the slide does not lock back on empty. Seems to happen more often as the gun is shot. Using the 2 mags that came with the R1, and it does not seem to matter what ammo or which mag. Although some local reloads seem to run best (Revolution Reloaded 230gr 4-4.8 gr of Titegroup). Also tried Remington L45AP4 and Win White Box. Most of the problems were with the L45AP4.

A couple club 1911'rs have shot it and they showed me what it can do!
More then once a couple rnds in nearly the same hole at 7 yds.
I'm not there yet :-(

Wondering what other magazines will work in the R1.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:23 AM

is the problem the magazine or is your support hand holding the slide stop down?
did this happen when other's shot your R1?

Wilson ETM's work well and i haven't had a problem in the R1
Old 08-06-2010, 01:14 PM

Hummm... renewing my affair with the 1911 after 25 years... I had not noticed what my support hand was doing. I don't think it happened when other's shot it. I will watch that this weekend during Pistol Club shoot. Thanks for the tips!
- - -
OK... shot 50 rnds today in our Sunday steel shoot... others shot it too... mags still not locking slide back... tried a Chip McCormack from one of the 1911 shooters and it worked perfectly... he suggested I lengthen the mag spring a little in the Remington mags... so tonite I cleaned them and stretched the spring 1/2 to 3/4 inch... next shoot will tell the tale.
- - -
I now have 500+ rnds thru my R1... much fun! The thumb safety has loosened up, works fine now. Everything is staying tight and normal that I can see. The rear sight did work loose after about 300 rnds. The Remington factory mags still fail to lock back the slide after a couple mags. I bought another factory mag and it acts the same. This particular R1 does not like the factory mags! I bought 4 other mags, Chip McCormick(PowerMag & ShootingStar), Wilson(Combat), CheckMate... all work fine! I give up on the stock Rem mags. I see some points with the bluing wearing off already or other regular looking rub points. I am satisfied with the gun. Several other Club members that are 1911 shooters all say good things about it and can shoot very well with it. I'm still shooting left with it :-( More practice! I think the R1 has to be a hit for the price.

Last edited by richmich; 09-06-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: adding to range report
Old 08-14-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
I was considering one of these but I,am gonna get a norinco 1911a1 instead for my collection. that R1 roll mark and the cast & mim stuff turnned me off. I,d thought remington would have made a higher quality 1911 say on the line of colt.JMO
Bob
I saw a post on another forum from someone who spoke to a Remington rep who reported no MIM parts at all...I'm afraid I can't tell the difference, and I can't find the post right now...how would I tell by looking? (I'm new at this 1911 stuff...haven't fired my R1 yet, but it has already been back to Remington for a problem with the grip safety...hope to get to the range tomorrow...
Old 08-14-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enmerdeur View Post
Wow. Interesting. My sear doesn't have the MIM divots on it.
Mine doesn't either...
Old 08-23-2010, 06:19 PM

Just got a R1

I posted this on another thread but will post here as well. I purchased my R1 at a gun show here in Ohio for $499.00! I had already spoke to my gun shop about ording one but I couldn't pass this deal up! I like the fit and finish and am looking forward to shooting it soon. I had a SS 80 Series Colt Gov Model in the late 80's/early 90's and its one of those "why did I get rid of it?" deals all of us have done at one time or another. I got away from the gun scene for some years and so I'm kinda a noob with some faded memories! (lol) Going to get back into reloading due to the cost of 45's. Will report on my experience with the R1 soon, and I wanted to thank all of you for keeping the focus of this thread on the R1! I've noticed other threads sometimes stray from the orginal subject.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJoeYank View Post
I posted this on another thread but will post here as well. I purchased my R1 at a gun show here in Ohio for $499.00! I had already spoke to my gun shop about ording one but I couldn't pass this deal up! I like the fit and finish and am looking forward to shooting it soon. I had a SS 80 Series Colt Gov Model in the late 80's/early 90's and its one of those "why did I get rid of it?" deals all of us have done at one time or another. I got away from the gun scene for some years and so I'm kinda a noob with some faded memories! (lol) Going to get back into reloading due to the cost of 45's. Will report on my experience with the R1 soon, and I wanted to thank all of you for keeping the focus of this thread on the R1! I've noticed other threads sometimes stray from the orginal subject.
That's a good price! I've seen them in several gun shops here, and they were all $699...except one shop where it was $799. (They are high on all their stuff.)
Old 08-24-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJoeYank View Post
$499 WOW, by far the cheapest I've heard of....it's a great gun too....love mine as much as my '70's Colt.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:55 PM

Just picked up a used NIB R1. Never fired. $500 w/ 2 boxes of defense rounds and a holster.
Figured it was a good deal.

Dissassembled, lubed, reassembled and shot about 50 rounds. It did ok on ball ammo, but jammed a lot on the hollow points.

Compared to my Kimber I not really impressed. The Kimber feels better, is smoother and I can really hit stuff with the Kimber, where the R1 seemed like it was all over. Also the bottom of the butt has something sharp that's digging into my palm.

Ok, true, the Kimber is more $ and it's already been worked over by a gun smith.

Took the stock clips and the Kimber 8rnd ones. Didn't seem to care which we used.

So anyway, happy for $500 bucks but it clearly needs a trip to a smith...and the trigger sux.
What else should I ask them to do?

I'm in the Greenville, SC area. Anyone know a good and reasonably priced smith in the area?

Thanks for your time.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
=richmich;2790151
OK... shot 50 rnds today in our Sunday steel shoot... others shot it too... mags still not locking slide back... tried a Chip McCormack from one of the 1911 shooters and it worked perfectly... he suggested I lengthen the mag spring a little in the Remington mags... so tonite I cleaned them and stretched the spring 1/2 to 3/4 inch... next shoot will tell the tale.
- - -

The Remington factory mags still fail to lock back the slide after a couple mags. I bought another factory mag and it acts the same. This particular R1 does not like the factory mags! I bought 4 other mags, Chip McCormick(PowerMag & ShootingStar), Wilson(Combat), CheckMate... all work fine! I give up on the stock Rem mags. I see some points with the bluing wearing off already or other regular looking rub points. I am satisfied with the gun.

Mine did the same using Colt mags, but, works fine with Rems. I found that mine needed a slide stop detent put in to prevent it from moving laterally out of position. That prevented the mags from catching the slide stop.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krehmkej View Post
Nice looking grips on yours! Had mine for 2 weeks now. 600 rounds down the pipe without a bobble. I'm with you on those Remington magazines. They are the best. Can't seem to get any more, however. I called TopGun and asked if they had an equivalent. They recommended the CheckMate CM45-7-B-GI. 4 of those on the way, so we'll soon find out.

My hands seem to be happiest with the flat MSH/long trigger (1911) combination, so I took the time to swap in a Kings long trigger. And for good measure, the SS bushing was changed to a blued one from Brown's. Went right in and locks up tight as a tick.

Just finished loading up 300 more, so on Monday, its off to the range.

I like the dark bushing. Very nice!

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." --Red Green