1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

Old 03-29-2012, 12:41 PM

On an LE bushing less barrel setup how long before accuracy degrades due to slide and barrel wear? On a bushing barrel the bushing is replaced how is addressed on this kind of setup?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:42 PM

I greatly value a tight slide to frame fit in 1911's, that's just my preference.
However, one of my most accurate 1911's was a sloppy Colt that would rattle if you even looked at it. That Colt had so much side to side and vertical play that I doubt another 1911 could have been fit looser. It was every bit as accurate as my MUCH tighter fit 1911's.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil doc View Post
On an LE bushing less barrel setup how long before accuracy degrades due to slide and barrel wear? On a bushing barrel the bushing is replaced how is addressed on this kind of setup?
Impossible to give you a round count as stated earlier.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
Impossible to give you a round count as stated earlier.
How does the barrel to slide slop get addressed?
Old 03-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Banned

So a fullsize with a bushing will stay tight longer than a non bushing gun like a professional?
Old 03-29-2012, 01:18 PM

Without a doubt
Old 03-29-2012, 01:27 PM

It's my understanding that the slide fit

accounts for about 15% of the total accuracy of the pistol.

Given that, it should not be a factor to be concerned with unless you are shooting championship national match bullseye, and need consistent groupings under an inch.

Quote:
How would accuracy be maintained if the fit gets sloppy?
Old 03-29-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Without a doubt
No, not really the case. I will elaborate later .
Old 03-29-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
On a Wilson, the barrel locks tightly into the slide and your sights are fixed on the slide and you aim with your sights so as your pistol develops some slide/frame looseness your practical accuracy is still maintained.

The frame is fairly soft compared the the slide and barrel to adequately resist cracking from slide impact over time. Friction and impact will cause the frame to wear faster than the other major parts because of the differences in hardness. we can refit it over time, but on open sight "combat" pistols it wouldn't be worth the effort.
WCR,

I learn something from you with virtually every one of your posts. Thanks again for freely sharing your knowledge. Obviously you are an excellent communicator but I'll also bet you would have been one heck of a good pistolsmith if you choose to go that route.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45_ACP View Post
WCR,

I learn something from you with virtually every one of your posts. Thanks again for freely sharing your knowledge. Obviously you are an excellent communicator but I'll also bet you would have been one heck of a good pistolsmith if you choose to go that route.
Thanks very much-I am flattered. I am way to ham-handed to be a pistolsmith! Those guys have a lot of innate talents I simply do not possess!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mujahideen View Post
So a fullsize with a bushing will stay tight longer than a non bushing gun like a professional?
A bushing gun can wear faster than a bull barrel gun since there is opportunity for the fit of the bushing to the slide and the fit of the bushing to the barrel to be concerned with and the cone lockup only wears at at the junction of the cone and slide.

It will take many, many thousands of rounds to wear a cone lockup-remember the barrel and slide are both very hard and there is little friction.

With any of our pistols, if properly fitted, you will wear down your rifling and leade from shooting bullets down your barrel and negatively impact your accuracy more than any wear to the barrel, slide or frame from shooting.

In high velocity rounds it can happen in as little as 10-15,000 rounds. 38 super with jacketed bullets is hard on a bore.

With low pressure rounds like the .45 and lead bullets lots of guns go 50K rounds. Lots of variables.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Banned

Do you recommend shooting jacketed ammo or bare lead? Talking target/field ammo here. I have always shot jacketed ammo because I dont want to lead the barrel.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:03 PM

I prefer jacketed ammo because there is less cleanup/smoke and you get better accuracy past 25 yards with quality jacketed bullets over hard cast lead.
Jacketed is certainly tougher on your bore though. Lots of threads on the forum around this topic.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks very much-I am flattered. I am way to ham-handed to be a pistolsmith! Those guys have a lot of innate talents I simply do not possess!
WCR,

I definitely agree those guys are talented. That video of Ron Phillips detail stripping and reassembling a weapon in less than 15 minutes simply blows my mind. He makes it look SO easy. I've watched it about a dozen times so far. Of course I fully realize nothing in that video is even considered gunsmithing. I'd like to see him in action building a weapon. Skills like that take years to master because working with metal is NOT easy. He is truly an artist.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45_ACP View Post
WCR,

I definitely agree those guys are talented. That video of Ron Phillips detail stripping and reassembling a weapon in less than 15 minutes simply blows my mind. He makes it look SO easy. I've watched it about a dozen times so far. Of course I fully realize nothing in that video is even considered gunsmithing. I'd like to see him in action building a weapon. Skills like that take years to master because working with metal is NOT easy. He is truly an artist.
We have been blessed with a crew of people that is second to none. Very few companies in the gun business have all of our talent under one roof.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
The rifle is a 300 ACC blackout with a 9 inch barrel. I have a long you tube video of me shooting It 300 yards. I graduated in 2009 from UNE and Im back in school to become a CRNA.
Good looking gun, great looking rifle.

Are you aware of the ridiculous spelling mistakes in your signature? College boy, huh?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicemt View Post
Good looking gun, great looking rifle.

Are you aware of the ridiculous spelling mistakes in your signature? College boy, huh?
Very aware, it was obviously before college. You didn't get the dark earth model? Did you?

Last edited by Devil doc; 03-30-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:06 PM

Just got my can.

40rds at 50 yards using factory Remington 220gr sub sonic ammo.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:46 AM

This thread is very informative to me. Thanks for the education.
NRA Endowment Member:Wilson Classic SG x2,Tactical SG 9mm Barron Blue, Tactical Elite 45acp, Tactical Elite 45acp(Barron Blue), Wilson CQB Elite 45acp x3, CQB Elite 9mm x2, Wilson CQB Compact 9mm and 45acp, Wilson Stealth 9mm x2, Stealth 45acp, Ed Brown Special Force SS and Carry SS, Ed Brown Kobra and Kobra Carry SS, Kimber SS Raptor II, Caesar Guerini Apex Trap...