1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Rock Island Armory

Old 03-24-2012, 09:08 PM

Buffers any one use them?

Just wondering if Buffers are a worthwhile thing or not in a RIA tactical?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:10 PM

IMHO it's just personal preference. I won't use them.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh45gun View Post
Just wondering if Buffers are a worthwhile thing or not in a RIA tactical?
Worthwhile? Debatable at best; have been known to cause issues. Solution looking for a problem. On anything less than a 5" full size functionality can be compromised.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:34 PM

I used them for yrs, however... i had one melt down in my nighthawk. Took some doing to get the thing apart but it never did jam the pistol. I believe i've learned my lesson, no more for me.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:13 PM

Had to use a loaner gun at Thunder Ranch. It had one in it....until it came apart. Cleaned it out, put it back together and finished the class. For me, lesson learned.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:57 AM

Good to know I was just wondering because some guns like my Smith 22A they come with from the factory and they recommend them.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:47 AM

There's always been one in my Series 70 since the latter part of the 70's. I check it everytime I field strip and clean the gun in essence everytime I go to the range. If I'm going into an extended hard use situation like a match I replace it before hand if it's chewed up.

I've pounded an impression into the face of them and they have hardened, frayed and degraided with gun solvents but I have never had one break, implode / explode or otherwise mysteriously come apart without warning.

Whether or not buffers are beneficial I don't know but like I said I put one in my very first 1911 Series 70 when it was the popular thing to do but none of my later 1911s have them.

Last edited by alias5.56; 03-25-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:20 AM

What is a buffer?
Old 03-25-2012, 12:00 PM

Shock buffers are the small rubber like washer that goes on a 1911 guide rod before the recoil spring goes on. The buffers were designed to cushion the steel against steel impact between the slide, guide rod and the frame which occurs every time the pistol fires and cycles. The purpose of the buffer is to reduce impact wear and tear on the pistol and reduce the recoil impact felt by the shooter.

It sounds good in concept but there are serious drawbacks. If the buffer is not maintained and the pistol is continuously fired, the buffer will be destroyed inside the pistol, fall apart and will affect the reliable operation of the pistol. Another problem which is just as serious is that installation of a buffer in the pistol shortens the slide stroke slightly over .100".

Simple answer!! Don't use a buffer in your pistol, and just keep the recoil spring replaced every 1000 rounds or so to minimize steel on steel impact damage between the slide, frame and guide rod.

Bottom line, I would not recommend the use of a shock buffer at all especially in a carry weapon. If in a defensive situation and the buffer comes apart, which it most likely will, it could spell disaster or even death when the weapon malfunctions!!

COTEP Member # CBOB0152
Old 03-25-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_chevy View Post
What is a buffer?
A neoprene block that goes on the guide rod before the spring. Supposed to soften recoil and keep down wear. IMHO if you can't handle the recoil of a .45 you don't need one.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:48 PM

I have them in all but my carry gun. Never had an issue. My competition gun has the extra thick one.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:19 PM

I don't use them! I've seen them come apart in guns during training locking up the gun. So, based on the number of failures I have witnessed; I decline to use them.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:30 PM

Why is a company like WC which is so highly regarded, making them and in effect, promoting them?
Old 03-25-2012, 07:13 PM

Imo, No place or need for them in a carry gun. In a competition gun where you are putting 10 of thousands of rounds through it, anything you can do to reduce battering and soften recoil will pay dividends. Theres no scientific proof it helps or reduces recoil, but in competition you'll do anything to get an edge, and it certainly doesn't hurt. I inspect my guns frequently, if I see any indication of cracking it would be replaced. I bet have have 7k rounds through 1 of mine. If you are concerned about it in a major match why not just replace it before the match. I use a lighter recoil spring and I feel there is a benefit. A lot of people don't like them for reliability reasons, I get that in a life or death situation. Like I said my officers doesn't have one.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black07 View Post
Why is a company like WC which is so highly regarded, making them and in effect, promoting them?
IMO, These miracle bushings are another way to separate your money from your wallet and place it into their hands.

If you change your recoil spring with the proper weight every 3-4,000 rounds, you won't experience any battering that they claim.

I have 1911's with over 40,000 rounds through them and have never used a shock-buff, nor had a slide or frame failure.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:34 AM

I've used them for a good while, but ONLY for range sessions with +P ammo. I'll throw one in before going to the range, fire off a few hundred rounds (+P/ standard), then remove it for carry. I've noticed that the buffer WILL "hush" things up a good bit but, the risk of failure outweigh the benefit in a carry weapon, IMHO.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:33 PM

I use them on all my 1911's.
It never caused any issue. But I don't see ay benefit, other then mental thing, knowing that metal is not bashing agaist metal.

I started to use them, because I got handfull of them for free. I don't think I'll go out and buy one...