1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Smith & Wesson

Old 03-03-2012, 06:54 PM

S&W 1911 E-Series SC

Just picked up a new E-Series SC and will be adding Crimson Trace LG-907 Master Series laser grips. I have laser grips on my Performance Center guns 1911 and TRR8 .357 Mag. TRR8 also has a Trijicon RMR 3.25 MOA.
Attached Thumbnails
Smith & Wesson pics 001.jpg  
S&W M&P Shield 9MM.
Colt Python .357 Mag

Last edited by vinnieee; 03-03-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:23 PM

Some more pics
Attached Thumbnails
Smith & Wesson pics 013.jpg   Smith & Wesson pics 037.jpg   Smith & Wesson pics 041.jpg  
S&W M&P Shield 9MM.
Colt Python .357 Mag
Old 03-03-2012, 11:53 PM

I'm impressed with Smith I purchased a SW1911Sc on 3/1/2011 got home that night found out the front night sight wasn't working emailed them the next day. They have one in route to me. I'm impressed. I was looking at the Dan Wesson VBob but the Smith about 800 cheaper and it shoots great.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:48 AM

I just got mine and haven't shot it yet, but I did just purchase Crimson Trace Master Series LG-907 for round heel 1911's from LaserSightUSA.com. Once I have them on I'm going to the range. Here's the link for LasersightUSA.com:

http://www.lasersightusa.com/Crimson...7_p/lg-907.htm
S&W M&P Shield 9MM.
Colt Python .357 Mag
Old 03-04-2012, 07:54 AM

I have the black slide with Master Series G10. It's a great look for my daily carry
Old 03-04-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Chandler View Post
I have the black slide with Master Series G10. It's a great look for my daily carry
I bet that looks nice
S&W M&P Shield 9MM.
Colt Python .357 Mag
Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 PM

Nice pics and congratulations on your purchase. The sc is a great gun and I'm sure it will serve you well. The stainless model looks great, sometimes I wish I had got that instead. Only sometimes though lol
Old 03-05-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmant View Post
Nice pics and congratulations on your purchase. The sc is a great gun and I'm sure it will serve you well. The stainless model looks great, sometimes I wish I had got that instead. Only sometimes though lol
Thanks, Big! I really like your quote in your signature - to funny. I'm going to remember that one.
S&W M&P Shield 9MM.
Colt Python .357 Mag
Old 03-08-2012, 07:12 PM

I think this model is pure sex. I baby mine a little too much.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColColt View Post
I think this model is pure sex. I baby mine a little too much.

Are you planning to shoot it?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:02 PM

I'm still stroking it. Naw, I have about 300 rounds through it so far. A combo of 200 gr LSWC's, FMJ, 230 gr GDHP's, and a box of Federals 230 gr HST. It eat 'em up!
Old 03-10-2012, 07:19 PM

S&W E Series

Hi Folks,

I have several of the first generation S&W 1911's and have only had a safety plunger work its way loose on two of the five. Never had any failure to feed - they just work for me, which is why I guess I stick with them (of course I love the way they look too). When the E series came out I had to try one, especially after trying the little Pro Series 3", then a second, and then a third. Talk about OCD!! The funny thing is that some of the slides are tight as a cork in a 100 year old bottle of wine, and some downright rattle, but all shoot unbelievable groups.

I do have one Commander E series I might send in because the extractor pin looks low in the frame. I don't know if it is moving, which would not be a good thing, so I will send a couple pics to S&W and ask them to advise. I also have found their customer service to be SUPERB. I can hit anything with a 1911, and with a Glock style trigger, I'm better off throwing the gun at the target. Anyone know how how much slide play is abnormal, or are scandium guns prone to more slide play?
Old 03-10-2012, 11:54 PM

I wished I had held off on getting my lightweight Colt Commander and gotten a bob-tailed all black SC like Col. Colt's. That is a sharp looking gun, the serrations and bob tail have really grown on me since they first came out. Add a black flat trigger and call it done for me.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:03 PM

New Bobtail

I just got my second commander E series and they are very nice (both black). I have the scandium PD in the commander size which is somewhat an identical gun with the exception of the bobtail and obvious E series stuff, but the bobtail, as small a piece removed as it is, makes the gun look much more compact and smaller than the older generation. Maybe its just a visual trick, but for some reason it looks and carries like a much smaller gun.. I also use a flush 8 rd mag and no more rib irritation from that point like the standard PD. I keep a second mag with a bump plate in a leather sleeve in my back pocket for quick reload

One interesting thing I want to check into later - has anyone felt the Kobra Carry with the thin grips? I was really amazed at how much smaller the pistol felt with thinner grips. Once again, reducing the bulkiness of the 1911. Hopefully someone will make some thin grips for the E series in the future. I would at least like to try it, but understand that the grommets must be changed to low profile as well. Anyone have any info on thin grips for the E series?

I will eventually get the Kobra - not anytime soon, but I would like to shoot one of the best of the best once in my lifetime to see if there is really a difference. It sure looked nice, but $2900 buys a couple really good guns and lots of ammo, holsters, accessories, etc. I am soundly very happy with S&W products, especially their 1911's. The only thing that could make me happier is if they would make their stainless guns with stainless safeties, beavertails, plungers, etc.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:53 PM

New Bobtail

I just got my second commander E series and they are very nice (both black). I have the scandium PD in the commander size which is somewhat an identical gun with the exception of the bobtail and obvious E series stuff, but the bobtail, as small a piece removed as it is, makes the gun look much more compact and smaller than the older generation. Maybe its just a visual trick, but for some reason it looks and carries like a much smaller gun.. I also use a flush 8 rd mag and no more rib irritation from that point like the standard PD. I keep a second mag with a bump plate in a leather sleeve in my back pocket for quick reload

One interesting thing I want to check into later - has anyone felt the Kobra Carry with the thin grips? I was really amazed at how much smaller the pistol felt with thinner grips. Once again, reducing the bulkiness of the 1911. Hopefully someone will make some thin grips for the E series in the future. I would at least like to try it, but understand that the grommets must be changed to low profile as well. Anyone have any info on thin grips for the E series?

I will eventually get the Kobra - not anytime soon, but I would like to shoot one of the best of the best once in my lifetime to see if there is really a difference. It sure looked nice, but $2900 buys a couple really good guns and lots of ammo, holsters, accessories, etc. I am soundly very happy with S&W products, especially their 1911's. The only thing that could make me happier is if they would make their stainless guns with stainless safeties, beavertails, plungers, etc.

Last edited by kazman123; 03-11-2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: REmove picture - forgot to blot out serial number
Old 03-17-2012, 09:17 AM

VZ Grips makes slim grips for the round-butt S&Ws. As I understand it you have to call in your order to specify the round-butt since it isn't on their website but it costs nothing extra.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:09 AM

Do the factory grips need a special tool you need to purchase separately to remove, or does it come in the S&W box?
Old 03-18-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
Are you planning to shoot it?
When I first got my E-Series 1911TA I just looked at it for 2 weeks..........
Old 03-19-2012, 12:42 PM

Required Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccusboy View Post
Do the factory grips need a special tool you need to purchase separately to remove, or does it come in the S&W box?
Yes, the pistol came with the Allen wrench. Just shot my primary bobtail this weekend and put 300rds of FMJ 230 through it. No problems. I am really liking the pistol. I hope S&W makes a full size scandium E series. The weight savings is noticeable and I really don't notice recoil differences between the scandium commander and my steel Kimber commander. Now shooting Corbon DPX 185grn through any of the pistols - commander up through full size is stout, but not unpleasant.

So far having good reliable performance from the E series as well as their first gen 1911's. One day I'm going to try a Ed Brown, Les Baer, or Wilson just to see if there are obvious differences in quality and shooting dynamics, but that will be a couple years down the road. The one very cool thing is whether you are a purist or like variations and variety, the 1911 is so versatile and as relevant as ever.