1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Browning Hi-Power

Old 03-17-2012, 08:13 PM

Most of the higher transfer fees in California are at the LGS's who have not adapted to the Internet age, and hate seeing their high profit margins eroded by online gun sales. It's called a free market, something many have failed to keep up with. So many get bummed their high prices are not seen as a privilege versus online prices. So they jack their transfer rates up for those who might not think to shop around for a cheaper transfer rate. There are plenty of kitchen table FFL's who do transfers at reasonable rates. In my area that is $35.00. Which is more than reasonable. Private Party Transfers as mandated by state law involve a $25.00 DROS fee to the state and a maximum $10.00 transfer fee to the LGS. It was very thoughtful surprisingly, though the transfer law might not be so agreeable to most, that this provision capping the transfer fee for PPT's was instituted, as some LGS's would surely be jacking that up if they could. What is also nice is these LGS's have to perform the PPT transfers, and some are known to not be real pleased and make that known with attitude. Hmm attitude at a gun store? lol They are allowed to deal with paying customers first so one could find a small waiting period not out of the ordinary. Others realize getting new gun owners into their shop might enable future ammo or gun sales to those who may never have been to their shop before and perform the PPT's with the same care a new gun buyer would get.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:54 AM

Submoa,

Yikes, I neglected to mention the ever famous T Series. You are, of course correct.
Don't know exactly what I was thinking there, fer sure.
I should have also stated "external extractor HPs" in there too, to differentiate from the earlier post war internal extractor HPs with their single letter and 5 digit serials.

Thank you for keeping the record honest. I shouldn't post until I take my Lithium...

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O

Last edited by Burgs; 03-18-2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:17 PM

Just to sum up...

Hey gents,
Been lurking for awhile, but new sign up to the forum. Thinking seriously about getting a BHP and just wanted to run these numbers by the experts from what I've seen from various sources. For a new gun, probably $850-875 is probably close to the best price, used maybe $550-650 for a solid example. Understand there are lots of other variables, expecially for used guns, but these seem to be ballpark figures. Am I off? Hope to lay money down in the next month or so. Thanks
Old 03-18-2012, 04:48 PM

As mentioned before, CDNN has them new for $699 if you live somewhere they will ship to (don't know where you are). I called last week and they still had them in stock. If you are in CA, there are some hurtles, but might come out ok.