1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Parts and Accessories Bin

Old 03-15-2012, 12:37 AM

Has anyone ever modified a crimson trace laser grip?

Hi guys,
I have a similar thread in the para user group but i wanted to see if anyone has ever mod'd an existing crimson trace grip to fit their gun.

I have a para carry 9. This is a sub compact 1911 . But it's built on a slightly shorter frame then the more standard commanders or kimber ultra carry ii etc.

Seems to me that it wouldn't be too hard as long as all the wiring is located up high enough to trim .

Any help would be amazing!!

Aaron S
Instructor Ryman Tactical
NRA Cert. Rifle and Pistol Instr. / RSO
Old 09-28-2012, 08:18 AM

Did you ever try to trim Crimson Trace grips?

I've just ordered a used set of C/Ts for $100 and was going to chop 'em up and make a Frankengrip ... if you've already done it I would love any pointers you can provide.

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2012, 02:33 PM

I've trimmed a pair to bobtail configuration, back before CT was doing bobtails themselves. The power switch is very close to the bottom of one of the grips, I barely made it work and all I was doing was cutting an angle. Trying to visualise the length of the Carry 9...I think you would have to eliminate the switch and "hotwire" the connections.

My big question would be, is the screw spacing the same as the compact? If it is, then I would forge ahead with the project.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the feedback! I deem my project "feasible" then, and shall proceed with gusto.

This will actually be for a Beretta 96 compact, but this thread was the only one I could find where someone mentioned cutting the grips. Perhaps after this is done I can post a how-to and consider myself an expert!

Thanks again.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:39 PM

I just did a set to fit a Springfield EMP. Very easy took about 20 minutes and no cutting involved just a little file work.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKC 911 View Post
I just did a set to fit a Springfield EMP. Very easy took about 20 minutes and no cutting involved just a little file work.
EMPs are the same height as Officers/Compacts, aren't they?

Where did you have to tweak the CTs?