1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Rock Island Armory

Old 03-12-2012, 02:44 PM

RIA MS range report question

Hi to all, Took new RIA to range for first time, gun shot good, untill second to last round and had a fail to feed, cycled slide and noticed the nose of bullet had a flat spot on it, would this be due to when it feed into ramp?, reloaded round in mag and shot last two rounds fine, i cleaned the gun before i took to range and i am running new wilson mags, i have seen on here that 1911's need some breaking in time, my second question is, one fail to feed in fifty rounds normal during break in or should i be looking for a problem, when i took apart to clean after range i did not see any problems, ammo was federal 230 gr ball, any thoughts would be appricated, thanks, brian
Old 03-12-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisner View Post
Hi to all, Took new RIA to range for first time, gun shot good, untill second to last round and had a fail to feed, cycled slide and noticed the nose of bullet had a flat spot on it, would this be due to when it feed into ramp?, reloaded round in mag and shot last two rounds fine, i cleaned the gun before i took to range and i am running new wilson mags, i have seen on here that 1911's need some breaking in time, my second question is, one fail to feed in fifty rounds normal during break in or should i be looking for a problem, when i took apart to clean after range i did not see any problems, ammo was federal 230 gr ball, any thoughts would be appricated, thanks, brian
Welcome to the forum

The thought on any firearm needing a break in period is incorrect- They either work , or they don't . some will agree -some won't they're just in denial.
There are a couple things you want to look at. Magazine being one but if you've already used a wilson and it happend then. You can try different ones- perhaps the ACT mag. you're shooting ball ammo, you 'shouldnt' be having any feeding issues. But sometimes, after the rounds have been hitting, and sliding up the feed ramp - you can be left with little deposits of material that the rounds are made out of. I would highly suggest taking some LIQUID metal polish on a q-tip and gently buff out feed ramp, please do not use abrasives such as sand paper. And unless you know exactly what you're doing.. DO NOT use a dremel tool.. You can change the angle of the ramp if you're not careful - Then you'll be looking at a new pistol, instead of being able to shoot it.

You CAN get really great ' mirror ' results just by polish on a q tip.. this should solf all of your feed related problems as far as the rounds getting the dent.. helps them slide up the ramp with ease. also, you can follor this same procedure along the throat of the barrel.. again.. nothing harsch , nothing gritty.. just polish you don't want to remove metal.

- also, these 1911's are usually built with tight tolerances.. and should be ran wet. - if the firearm is new, it should have been soaked in what looks like oil , it isnt.. its just there to preserve the firearm while in a box.

strip it down, and run that thing soaked use a good lube, nothing solid based. I carry mine nice and wet , as well... this has since solved all of my issues.

One FTF is ' acceptable '.

But there is still something causing it.

just run that thing wet, and if you get any more ftfs... you could also try a different ammo.

phill

Last edited by m1gunner; 03-12-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:42 PM

Hi Brian
As Phill said, there really is no "break-in" period to run right

but I wouldn't be at all concerned about "fixing" anything yet.
First 50 rnds on a brand new pistol in a new shooter's hand...
..I'm assuming (maybe wrongly) you're new to the 1911 platform

doesn't mean there's a genuine problem just yet..too soon to tell.

here's what I'd suggest;
Clean all the gunk off your pistol.
Lube well...don't be afraid to literally dribble oil on the slide and frame rails .
Wipe off excess with an oil soaked patch .
Take all your mags (the ACT mag included)
take 100 rnds of ammo and go shoot

My magic 8 Ball suggests.....
if you employ a proper shooting stance, with a firm grip while you focus on the front sight... as you "press" the trigger straight back...
You'll be rewarded with hundred flawless rnds right where you're aiming

if you have any stoppages, pay close attention to details of the stoppage .
examples;
particular mag (mark your mags)
first, rnd in mag, last round, random, etc
Bullet and slide position when/if stoppage occurs

..L.T.A.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:35 AM

Thanks cappi and m1gunner, yes i am new to 1911 guns, always had wheel guns, i did notice that the round almost looked liked it got cought on the edge of the feed ramp, also on the wilson mags if i run eight rounds the first round gets cought in same spot but if i only run 7 in mags no problem, i had let the new mags set for a few days loaded to help set the spring according to the wilson instructions that came with the mags, today i tried the act mag and the first round was getting jammed worst then the wilsons, i was not sure about the info i had read about breaking in, glad i got on this sight and thankful i am getting help from you guys, i will try to polish the ramp alittle and see if this helps, thanks for replys and keep the info coming, brian...
Old 03-13-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
i was not sure about the info i had read about breaking in

you'll hear it a lot .
it's something many 1911s guys consider "normal" and acceptable .
prob'ly cause some tuning/adjustment needs will indeed straighten themselves out burning thru a couple hundred bukz in ammo

I'm personally not one of those guys that finds that acceptable

Sounds like what you're experiencing is commonly called a "nose dive"
It's a relatively common complaint
MALFs like that may or may not fix themselves with 500 rnds down range

..l.T.A.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:27 AM

I had to strip mine down give it a good clean and lube, also need a good strong handle on the gun
Old 03-13-2012, 03:08 PM

Brian - my brother Cappi knows his stuff and can get you an awesome set of grips for your RIA.

I have always been one of the guys that believed you needed to run a couple of hundred rounds thru your new pistol to "break it in", cause that's what everyone told me to do. For me, that meant field stripping and cleaning every 50 rounds.

If I "break it in" by shooting 250 rounds, that means I stripped and cleaned it 6 times. Any gun should run smoother after 6 good cleanings.

Now I break my guns in by detail cleaning when I get it home (manufacturers typically leave a little junk behind), oil the gun until it's wet then go have some fun at the range.

Welcome to the forum - I have learned a great deal by listening to the great advice from this group.
COTEP #0071

Last edited by bvkdphillips; 03-13-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:41 AM

Update on RIA MS, after polishing feed ramp and good cleaning took to range and put 75 trouble free rounds through gun, also after polishing ramp the first round will feed when I have the mags loaded with eight, want to say thanks to all that responded to question. Now on to grip safety, hammer, and sight change if I can find some sights that I like, any ideas on new sights would be great!