1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Range Reports

Old 03-05-2012, 08:50 PM

Crappy start!

My grandfather gave me a Hi-Point 9mm as a gift. First hand gun. First time I shot it, I realized it was junk. Sold it and went out to by a new RIA 9mm. Made the mistake of being to excited and grabbing the first 9mm box of ammo I could find, Remington hollow points....each bullet was different in length and constantly jammed in a brand new gun. Talk about panic. I bought Winchester white box after that and never had an issue. The heck with Hi-Points, and the heck with Remington hollows. I think I'm going to try Federal's 9mm. Heard good things about it and I've had really good luck in my rifles.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:31 PM

Curiosity got the best of me so I had to do a Google on the gun.
Interesting You Tube videos.
Barrel is fixed to frame so it must be a blow-back.
Less than $150 at Wal-mart.
Sure is ugly.
I'm glad you did not sell a family heirloom to finance your RIA.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:52 PM

I have a Hi-Point 9mm that I inherited when my brother-in-law passed (RIP Harvey).

The gun has never malfunctioned (I don't use hollow points at the range typically).

The gun is also fairly accurate. The gun is made in the USA.

I can't see too much wrong with that and at $150, for most people just getting into the sport it is a good way to get some lead down range.

Ugly, yea, it's not the prettiest piece out there, but it's far from the ugliest.

best

mqqn
Old 03-05-2012, 10:17 PM

Id have to disagree and say its actually pretty darn close to the ugliest
Old 03-05-2012, 10:20 PM

I have a Hi-Point 380, a 9mm, and a 45. Ugly, yes, but so is my dog and I kept her. All three of them shoot really well, are fairly accurate, and never give me any trouble at all. It's a good gun to give new students, if they drop them or abuse them (which they have), it's no loss. However, not a single one of them ever has any issues. And if it did, they come with an unconditional lifetime warranty. FYI, I bought them a few years ago when the 380 was only 70 bucks and the 45 was $105.00. A good investment all the way around.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:33 PM

wow, a box of Rem HPs and all different COL. interesting

But the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity
Old 03-06-2012, 12:33 PM

Hi-points are terrible. I do agree I never had it jam or malfunction. But they are weighted horribly, I couldn't hit a 2' circle at 10'..... anyone who thinks their Hi-Point is OK, shoot a RIA.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThrottle View Post
I think I'm going to try Federal's 9mm. Heard good things about it and I've had really good luck in my rifles.
I personally won't use Federals after I bought a box of 50 and 12 failed to fire.
Some I even tried striking 3-5 times

Remember if you don't fight for your rights, you will lose them!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
anyone who thinks their Hi-Point is OK, shoot a RIA.
I've got two of those as well, a compact tactical and a plain Jane GI. I also have several Colts of several flavors, and a couple of high end customs. I still shoot the Hi-Points and the Les Baer. That's because I am not a brand snob and can see enjoyment in all of them (even my Cobra 380, now THAT is a cheap gun)
Old 03-06-2012, 09:53 PM

Can't do a high point. Never again.

Last edited by TheThrottle; 03-06-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysLethal View Post
I personally won't use Federals after I bought a box of 50 and 12 failed to fire.
Some I even tried striking 3-5 times
You should be able to send those in and get new boxes for free.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:51 PM

Wasn't a fan of the Federals either. They all fired but they were very inconsistent. I'll still with my Winchester White box. Not perfect, but not bad for the $$. High points still suck.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:35 PM

I am confused. What was the problem? What gun was the problem or was it the ammo?
Old 05-11-2012, 10:42 PM

I think he needs a slingshot. Maybe he'd complain about the rocks being too round, too jagged....
Old 05-11-2012, 11:07 PM

I found an interesting blog written by a older gentleman who owns a few hi points. He swears by them, it kind of made me feel a little better about the product. Not that I would buy one but for non gun people who are on a fixed income, they're hard to beat. He dropped one gun and called the CSR with no questions asked they sent him a new part.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:04 AM

Hi-Point C9 from a first time shooter and her last 25 rounds or so (out of 50 total) from about 6 yards. This with the sights screwed about a foot high right and no screwdriver.

FTF or FTE...zero for the 150 rounds that I owned it although I did clean and lube it first. The first owner just shot it and it's a little torn up inside because it was bone dry. Warranty-lifetime.

Last edited by Corrigun; 05-12-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griz44 View Post
I have a Hi-Point 380, a 9mm, and a 45. Ugly, yes, but so is my dog and I kept her.
if I had a dog that ugly (Hi Point ugly) I'd shave it's butt and teach it to walk backwards

But the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity
Old 05-12-2012, 01:18 PM

I hated the fact that a friend of mine's HiPoint collection kept up with my Glock collection for years! Not as accurate, not as pretty, and not as 'maintainable,' they still we good enough for hitting a 1' gong within 50 feet over & over again.

I had about 1000 rounds thru my G19 in one afternoon (three shooters) and he matched it with his HiPoint. We both had hicups; My front sight & guide rod melted, but kept firing. His HiPoint started locking 1/2 way open after firing, but kept going after a tap & rock.

I have rebuilt that G19 (Primary carry, practice, and training/cert gun since 2004) three times, including a new after-market barrel. His freakin HP is still in original condition, with maybe a barrel-snake being dragged thru it once a month, nothing more.

I have AT LEAST 70,000 rounds thru my G19, and I'm sure - since he's had his longer and used to reload like a maniac - he approaches about that much.

As a relatively inexpensive option to offer familiarity and reliable home defense / personal protection to those who cannot spend any more, I would recommend it over MANY other higher-end pieces.

My daughter WILL have a .45 HiPoint Carbine when she's of age, no doubt about it.

God Bless the Men & Women of our country's Armed Forces.