1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 03-02-2012, 08:59 PM

Range Officer sent out to SACS...

Hello all,

I just sent my Range Officer last week to Springfield to have some custom work done to it to better my attraction with it. It is the first 1911 I am ever having anything customed done to it and I am pretty excited.

The current list of mods are:

Wilson Combat - FLGR, Buffer System, Recoil Spring, 47D mags, BulletProof (Hammer, Sear, Disconnector all stoned and ploished by gunsmith), Mainspring, hammer spring, extended magazine release.

HiViz - Front Fiber Optic Sight (green)

Harrison - Rear LPA sight with single centered night sight

VZ Grips - Black Double Diamonds and Black Aliens (depending on how I feel )

Now that you guys have an idea of what it currently looks like, here is what my build sheet at SACS looks like:

Machine Checker front strap 25 LPI

Smith and Alexander blended magwell and rear hand checkered strap at 25LPI

Flush Cut and Crown barrel with 11 degree crown

FBI nub slide stop and reverse 45 degree bevel frame at entry

EGW thick flange bushing and plug

smooth the entire rear frame to slide for cosmetics

Armory Kote gloss black the whole firearm.

* Thoughts?

They told me 10 weeks. How acurate is that? SHould I do anything else while its there? Thanks!

Last edited by 1911A145; 03-05-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:04 AM

Sounds awesome can't wait to see the pics. 10 weeks is about right but don't be surprised if you see it a little sooner.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:06 PM

In my opinion. The extra money spent on hand checkering isn't worth it. Springfield does the best machine checkering ive seen. They've checkered many frames for me and I can't tell the difference between the two.

With the money you save, you could upgrade to a different finish like BlackT or IonBond. Also, I like when they finish the barrel hood as well. Just personal preference.

Everything else sounds good and dandy. Should be a nice piece.

A 1911 Addict
Old 03-05-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmanham View Post
In my opinion. The extra money spent on hand checkering isn't worth it. Springfield does the best machine checkering ive seen. They've checkered many frames for me and I can't tell the difference between the two.

With the money you save, you could upgrade to a different finish like BlackT or IonBond. Also, I like when they finish the barrel hood as well. Just personal preference.

Everything else sounds good and dandy. Should be a nice piece.
Yes, I agree. I made the mistake of typing hand instead of machine. They are hand checkering the S.A Magwell rear so I must have had my mind on that. I called Dave Williams just now and also added an EGW thick flange bushing and plug to the order. I think this will make the front of the 1911 much better to look at then the stainless one that was on there. There are only 3 things not being Armoy Koated... the barrel, the Hammer, and the Trigger. After It gets back it will have a nice set of VZ Double Diamonds in black cherry to set it off. I cant wait!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:37 PM

I'd highly recommend 20LPI versus the 25!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat_Vet View Post
I'd highly recommend 20LPI versus the 25!
Too late

I actually dont like the 20LPI. Held it in person before making my decision and thought it was WAY too aggressive.

* On a side note, Dave Williams told me that if I called him again to add anyhing else to my order there would be a "$25 dollar paperwork fee". So at this point I won be adding anything else in addition to the order above considering its too much trouble for Springfield to make some more money. Oh well, their loss, not mine. I'm not too happy about the BS paperwork line, but I will consider future purchases and business through SACS or Springfield in general due to that attitude.

Last edited by 1911A145; 03-12-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:13 PM

It sounds great, I can't wait to see the results once it returns; hang tough in the meantime!
Old 03-13-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post

* On a side note, Dave Williams told me that if I called him again to add anyhing else to my order there would be a "$25 dollar paperwork fee". So at this point I won be adding anything else in addition to the order above considering its too much trouble for Springfield to make some more money. Oh well, their loss, not mine. I'm not too happy about the BS paperwork line, but I will consider future purchases and business through SACS or Springfield in general due to that attitude.
To be honest that's great to hear about the $25 paperwork fee. Too many wishy washy guys keep callin' up the custom shops changing their mind every other day, taking the smiths away from their benches to go find the original work order, change it, only to have the guy call again a few days later with another tweak. Make your decision and live with it. Wilson Combat just changed their policy. No changes once submitted at all. They said it was taking an employee up to an hour to track down the work order and make the change. Now imagine a couple of these a day, from a couple guys who can't make a decision. Slows down the shop. Makes $25 sound not too harsh.
"Not to be unkind, but signature lines loaded with inventory lists tend to strike me as some kind a plea for validation -- and an indicator that the member in question is probably chasing his tail to a certain degree." -AC

Last edited by JesseGPresley; 03-13-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Hello all,

I just sent my Range Officer last week to Springfield to have some custom work done to it to better my attraction with it. It is the first 1911 I am ever having anything customed done to it and I am pretty excited.

Wilson Combat - FLGR, Buffer System, Recoil Spring, 47D mags, BulletProof (Hammer, Sear, Disconnector all stoned and ploished by gunsmith), Mainspring, hammer spring, extended magazine release.

Now that you guys have an idea of what it currently looks like, here is what my build sheet at SACS looks like:

* Thoughts?

They told me 10 weeks. How acurate is that? SHould I do anything else while its there? Thanks!
Will this be a 2K Range Officer? IMPO I would have sold it and spent money on full custom built 1911.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe40 View Post
Will this be a 2K Range Officer? IMPO I would have sold it and spent money on full custom built 1911.
Many of the worlds finest full custom 1911s start out as lowly Springers. If you check out Louder Than Words, you'll see most of the full blown custom guns start out as run of the mill Colts and Springers.

Great list of features, it's gonna be a sweet shooter. Look forward to pics.
"Not to be unkind, but signature lines loaded with inventory lists tend to strike me as some kind a plea for validation -- and an indicator that the member in question is probably chasing his tail to a certain degree." -AC
Old 03-13-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseGPresley View Post
To be honest that's great to hear about the $25 paperwork fee. Too many wishy washy guys keep callin' up the custom shops changing their mind every other day, taking the smiths away from their benches to go find the original work order, change it, only to have the guy call again a few days later with another tweak. Make your decision and live with it. Wilson Combat just changed their policy. No changes once submitted at all. They said it was taking an employee up to an hour to track down the work order and make the change. Now imagine a couple of these a day, from a couple guys who can't make a decision. Slows down the shop. Makes $25 sound not too harsh.
I hear what you are saying, and I understand where you are coming from and completely agree with SACS doing this, but you are missing the conversation between me and them and why I feel it was completely un called for.

When I spoke to Dave Williams he up sold me on the EGW thick flange bushing. Told me it was better in case I ever had to re-crown the barrel, etc. So I agreed and told him to add it. I told him I wanted it armory koated black like the rest of the pistol and he said no problem. After hanging up with him I forgot to tell him that I wanted the carry bevel bushing that EGW makes and not the standard one since they make both in the think flange. So I called right back apologizing saying I forgot to tell him I wanted the carry bevel bushing. Thatís when he advised me of the 25 dollar fee... Kind of irritated me more than anything. Itís not like the pistol was done or in the middle of being done and I called to add it to my order. The pistol hasnít even been worked on yet and the paperwork to perform the order was still being filed. He could have been a little more subtle about it. If I called back and added something they could then at that point inform me about the $25 and ask if I wanted to proceed. Either way, I'm over it.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe40 View Post
Why would you have sold it? I knew when I bough it that I was going to send it off to SACS and have my own version of a TRP.

Have you, or do you, own a pistol that is the most accurate and comfortable shooter you have and could never see geting rid of it? Well, thats how this RO is to me. Is shoots under an inch at 25 yards and outshoots my buddies Wilson. Its a great 1911 and I love it.

Now, on to the price (which, BTW, is totaly irrelevent). After the cost of the pistol, the custom work, taxes, fees, etc, etc, I will have a grand total of about 1500 into this gun. No where near 2000 and itll be what I wanted. It will have my list of mods thay I prefer and be semi-custom to me. There are production guns that are 1500 that wont have the work this RO will have once finished. If I would have have a full custom built 1911 I would be looking at 3500 dollars worth of gun that would be 1500 more than the RO and wouldnt yield 1500 more in value in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseGPresley View Post
Many of the worlds finest full custom 1911s start out as lowly Springers. If you check out Louder Than Words, you'll see most of the full blown custom guns start out as run of the mill Colts and Springers.

Great list of features, it's gonna be a sweet shooter. Look forward to pics.
Thank you. I will deff post pics the minute it comes back. hopefuly soon!
Old 03-23-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
When I spoke to Dave Williams he up sold me on the EGW thick flange bushing. Told me it was better in case I ever had to re-crown the barrel, etc. So I agreed and told him to add it. I told him I wanted it armory koated black like the rest of the pistol and he said no problem.
Good choice! I went with the same bushing but added the captured recoil spring plug too and had them beveled.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidemn View Post
Good choice! I went with the same bushing but added the captured recoil spring plug too and had them beveled.
Mine aswell. Should have added that.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:47 AM

Just sent my MIl SPEC to SACS last week as well to have the pistol finished in standard ArmoryKote black after a few mods that were made to her.

Can’t wait to see the end result of your pistol 1911A145.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Hello all,

* Thoughts?

Very nice. I sent my Springfield Loaded (parkerized) to them for the following.

-Flush cut and crown
-FBI nub slide stop
-I put a Smith&Alexander magwell on
-20 LPI FS checkering
-Matte black Armory Kote

Mine has been at SACS since Feb 1!
Old 03-25-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
I think this will make the front of the 1911 much better to look at then the stainless one that was on there. !
This made me chuckle...

I know what you mean not being a smartass...just had the thought of an attacker pausing just before he has a hot lead supper thinking dam thats a nice bushi..............arrrgrgrgrgrg

The only thing new that happens in this world, is the history we forget...
Old 03-25-2012, 03:03 PM

Lol!^^^
Old 03-25-2012, 03:05 PM

Jinxy since Feb. 1st!?!?!? Wow. Mine is only going in for refinishing so I hope I see it back sooner than later.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:55 AM

I sent my MC Operator in for about 900.00 worth of work around January 15 and got the call today that it's done. Not to bad!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:19 PM

Just got a call from SACS and my MIL SPEC is on its way home. Extremely fast turn around time. WOW. Hope you guys have the same luck.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:22 AM

UPDATE!

No update = (

It has been 9 weeks since they have had it. They told me about ten till complete. I am hoping for a phone call any day now...
Old 04-12-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
UPDATE!

No update = (

It has been 9 weeks since they have had it. They told me about ten till complete. I am hoping for a phone call any day now...
I wish you luck. They told me ten weeks, nine weeks ago as well. I sent in my Mil Spec for refinsihing and front strap checkering. This week, I e-mailed them to ask if we were getting close, only to be told it would be another 4-6 weeks because the machine shop was "behind" on checkering. Because my gun cannot be refinished until after the checkering has been done, it has just been sitting there all this time with nothing done to it. So I'm looking at 12-14 weeks total, maybe more. Let's see, 5 days in a week times 14 weeks, I figure 70 days. How many do you reckon they can machine checker in one day, five ? ten ?
Are there 350-700 guns ahead of mine ? Understandable if it were a one man shop but really, 12 weeks wait on machine checkering. Seems like they could give you a number in line and call you to send it in a week or two before they are ready for it. I'm sure there is someone out there with only one 1911. Why should he be without his gun that long. Sorry, after 8 weeks of anything, I get cranky !
Old 04-12-2012, 05:36 PM

For that kind of wait I can live with my $10 roll of tread tape for a long time...
Old 04-12-2012, 06:29 PM

Yes, as a matter of fact there ARE that many guns ahead of you. Probably more like 1000-1500. Every month TRP's, Trophy Matches, Pro's, and any custom jobs all have to get checkered. Be patient, guys. You will be extremely satisfied with the work. Call up some of the other smiths out there, see if they'll even accept your job, let alone turn it around within 3 months. I know it's a pain to wait, but trust me, time will pass and the wait will be more than worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old doc View Post
I wish you luck. They told me ten weeks, nine weeks ago as well. I sent in my Mil Spec for refinsihing and front strap checkering. This week, I e-mailed them to ask if we were getting close, only to be told it would be another 4-6 weeks because the machine shop was "behind" on checkering. Because my gun cannot be refinished until after the checkering has been done, it has just been sitting there all this time with nothing done to it. So I'm looking at 12-14 weeks total, maybe more. Let's see, 5 days in a week times 14 weeks, I figure 70 days. How many do you reckon they can machine checker in one day, five ? ten ?
Are there 350-700 guns ahead of mine ? Understandable if it were a one man shop but really, 12 weeks wait on machine checkering. Seems like they could give you a number in line and call you to send it in a week or two before they are ready for it. I'm sure there is someone out there with only one 1911. Why should he be without his gun that long. Sorry, after 8 weeks of anything, I get cranky !

Last edited by AlchemyCustom; 04-12-2012 at 06:31 PM.