1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 03-03-2012, 11:09 AM

Mk IV Series 80 100 Aniversary Gold Cup - Questions.....

I Just picked up my 1st 45ACP Colt - the Gold Cup Trophy model in Stainless Steel. In reading the manual, a few questions came to mind that I'm sure other forum members will be able to answer, Here goes....

- I plan to use FMJ 230 Gr ball ammo. The pistol comes with an installed recoil spring intended for use with semi-wadcutter ammo. A second, stronger spring is included in the box. I am assuming that I should install this spring to use with the ball ammo - is that correct?

- 2 mags came with the pistol - one is a 7 round mag to enhance feeding of sem-waddcutter ammo. The second is an 8 round mag. The followers in these mags have a different appearance. Can I use the 7 round Mag to shoot ball Ammo?

- The manual does not state that the rails between the slide and the frame should be lubricated. Shouldn't this be done?

- Shouldn't I have a received a casing for a shell fired from the pistol? This is a new pistol purchased locally (NJ) at a gun store. There was no casing in the case with the pistol.

"Not Everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts"
Old 03-03-2012, 01:22 PM

Welcome to the forum, Bill. You've made an excellent purchase. The heavier spring is indeed intended for 230 gr ball. If you buy another spring, it should be 16 lbs. Both mags should work fine with ball, and yes, lube the rails. With a stainless gun I've found that a little more oil is always good. The 1911 thrives on lubrication. Don't know regarding the casing thing; depends on the state, I guess.
Bob
Old 03-04-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OIF2 View Post
The heavier spring is indeed intended for 230 gr ball. If you buy another spring, it should be 16 lbs. Both mags should work fine with ball, and yes, lube the rails. With a stainless gun I've found that a little more oil is always good. The 1911 thrives on lubrication.
Bob,

Thanks for the reply & info. Any other points that I should be aware of in terms of using & maintaining the pistol?

"Not Everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts"
Old 03-04-2012, 07:41 AM

This recent thread may answer your questions on the followers and the 7 vs. 8 rd. magazine issue:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=356052

I do not live in NJ, but it was my understanding the fired casing went to state LE when the gun was sold on the rebuttable theory it would be of great value in future forensic work. The casing goes to the them, not the purchaser. If your gun is sold in a jurisdiction that doesn't require the casing, it will usually still be in the box.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamerer View Post
This recent thread may answer your questions on the followers and the 7 vs. 8 rd. magazine issue:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=356052

I do not live in NJ, but it was my understanding the fired casing went to state LE when the gun was sold on the rebuttable theory it would be of great value in future forensic work. The casing goes to the them, not the purchaser. If your gun is sold in a jurisdiction that doesn't require the casing, it will usually still be in the box.
Thanks for the link to the thread. I didn't get a clear take on the reliability of the 8 round mag as some folks have feed problems and others do not. I did note the difference in the followers and that is what prompted my question. From the description in the Colt manual, the implication is that it was the profile of the projectile (semi-wadcutter) that was the reason for the difference.

For all other pistols that I have purchased new here in NJ, a spent casing has always been included. Your description implies that the manufacturer or distributor would have to ship these casings depending on the state the pistol was sent to. I will check with my FFL for further clarification.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:37 PM

I'm pretty sure that Colt does not supply a spent casing with their guns. As Kimber does...it may have to do with the state of manufacture...not state its sold in.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:55 PM

The profile of the projectile will dictate what feed lip shape it works best with, not follower shape. The point of the thread is that 8rd flush-fit magazines are indeed problematic, so you should be aware of that if problems arise, just a courtesy heads-up.

As to the casing, NJ has a firearms forum you can ask about state-specific laws. Maryland DOES require casings; I think NY, too. Some manufacturers ship with them so they don't have to worry about it later. What the law is in NJ would best be answered in a specific forum, or post a question about NJ law in the legal/political forum here; there's probably members who live there and know. There's no federal law about shipping with a spent casing.