1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 02-29-2012, 04:15 PM

New 1991 government or new Defender for reliability

I realize a new colt 1991 government model and the Defender are very different. I am primarily looking for a nice 45 acp that is reliable out of the box. The concealed carry advantage of the defender is nice but i wonder if they are as reliable as the government model.

I once had a 1991a1 compact that certainly wasn't that reliable and i wonder if the shorter barreled 1911s are more finicky than the government models?

I am tending to lean in the direction of the 1991 government since ccw isn't that important for me and there are lots of aftermarket parts for government style pistols.

Any advice is welcome. My local store has one of each in stock....a 1991 government and a defender. I can only afford one.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:33 PM

new agent

I have had a New Agent in 9mm and it has done 1500 rounds. Even my reloads. Flawlessly. Not many pistols can say that. Keep it clean and lubed properly. Either pistol will out last you. Someday you can have one of each...
Old 02-29-2012, 04:35 PM

If ccw isn't a main concern I know I'd go with the gov't model. I carry a 5" both ccw and open around the property here and it is no problem.
Plus it holds 1 or 2 more rounds and the recoil is a bit less in a 5"
Old 02-29-2012, 05:11 PM

In your case, I vote Gov't
Old 02-29-2012, 05:54 PM

It has been my experience that the 5" gun tends to be more reliable. I realize that some users of the newer compact 1911 pattern guns have reported them to be very reliable. Two Officers Model Colts I've had experience with, one blue,one stainless, were not reliable. A family member's little Springfield EMP has been 100% reliable with everything, after some serious warranty work. Of the two you mentioned, I would go with the full size gun, unless I absolutely, positively had to have a smaller gun. BTW, I have carried the Govt., both openly and concealed, quite a lot. It is certainly doable if needed... ymmv
Old 02-29-2012, 06:11 PM

I have both and love them - but if I were a one gun guy, I would go with a 5" gun.

You will hit things more effectively due to a better sighting radius and lesser recoil as mentioned previously.

Buying a Colt should not require aftermarket parts unless you desire them.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:15 PM

Like the others, I also would suggest the 5 inch gun.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:59 PM

I'd split the difference and go commander length. Of your choices I'd go with the gov length though.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:29 PM

I have put over 1,000 rds of various loads thru my 1991 NRM, never missed a lick.

Was very accurate out of the box, hard to find better for the price.

Mine is as accurate as my 72 GCNM which is accurate, very accurate.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:00 PM

I have the Colt Government Series 70, the Colt Commander, and yesterday I was lucky enough to add the Defender. If you're not looking at CCW right away the government is the way I would go, but I gotta tell you that Defender is a sweet gun. Easy to conceal!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 PM

Might I interject a potential 'compromise' option...
the TALO CCO (Lightweight Officer's w/4.25" Commander topend)?

I recently owned one, and it gave me the feeling of "old meets new". Lacking a few features I prefer on my carry 1911s, I decided to sell it to a friend, since I already have a 1998 CCO that was easier to modify for my needs/tastes.
But the TALO CCO seems like it would be appealing to an 'old school' 1911 fan who is also looking for a lighter/smaller concealed carry option.
With its simple Commander slide with post sights, standard sized controls, fat grips, and short trigger... it reminds me of a GI styled 1911. Thanks to the lightweight alloy compact frame, it is well suited for concealed carry. The modern grip safety is a welcome addition, making it comfortable to shoot with the higher grip.
I found it VERY pleasant to shoot, very accurate (Match Colt barrel), and relatively easy to shoot 'fast'. With minimal lubrication, on a windy freezing cold day, it was completely flawless with several different compact mags, firing FMJ and JHP ammo by two shooters with frozen hands/fingers.
I see them on Gunbroker around $1k NIB, but have also seen "slightly used" ones sell for $750-$850.
Colt CCO (1999), Wiley Clapp Commander, Dan Wesson ECO (9x23win), H&K USP .45 Tactical, Sig SAS P220 Compact, Sig P220 in 9mm (now 9x23), Kimber Pro Aegis (9x23win), Springfield LWT GI Champion, Fusion 9x23 CCO build, S&W 329NG .44mag.
It's only lying if someone believes it.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:31 PM

Tommy

If it were me I would go with a Commander

Good luck in your decision
NRA Life Member and NO I dont do Facebook
Old 03-01-2012, 12:57 AM

I you want reliability, stick with the 5" gun. I have a Defender that has been back to Colt three times now and still has issues. I have gone back to carrying a full size 1911 daily because I know that I can rely on it. I really regret buying the Defender.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:58 AM

I have a Defender. I like it a lot and it's very reliable. With that being said, I wouldn't want it to be my range gun, I do carry it hunting sometimes because it is noticeably lighter. A full size gov't model is just a pleasure to shoot for me.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:11 PM

They do have the lightweight officers with commander slide also but I was worried about the aluminum frame.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommytman View Post
They do have the lightweight officers with commander slide also but I was worried about the aluminum frame.
Yup! Colt Talo CCO
I love mine
Old 03-01-2012, 07:07 PM

So it seems that i have some info that people don't like the aluminum frames. That was a reason i was staying away. Should i worry about the Al?

Thanks for the comments
Old 03-01-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommytman View Post
So it seems that i have some info that people don't like the aluminum frames. That was a reason i was staying away. Should i worry about the Al?

Thanks for the comments
The aluminum frame will outlive you, your son, and most probably your grandson, and if it doesn't Colt will make it right!
Old 03-01-2012, 07:53 PM

Up until recently I stayed away from aluminum frames as I was brought up on steel and wood. Recently decided to put my bias aside and get a Defender as a summer ccw. I'm still a all steel government 1911 man. But I will tell you, having worked in a gun shop for 5 years now, don't worry about alloy or polymer frames. Colt, Sig Sauer, SA, SW, stand behind their products with a lifetime warranty. If they were as bad as some say these companies would not, and couldn't afford to have them on the market. For pleasure shooting full size all steel is the most comfortable, but as long as your hands will tolerate the recoil, I don't think you would wear an alloy frame out either.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:02 PM

Thanks. So it looks like I have to decide between a 1991 gov, a lightweight officers, or a defender.

I still think I'm leaning toward the gov model.

Thank everyone
Old 03-01-2012, 08:27 PM

Nothing like getting the Clapp with a round butt. (Wilson msh that is...) Mine has 600 rounds downpipe so far. I Like it alot. A Quality Combat Handgun.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:53 PM

Has the lightweight officers always had the commander top end? I couldn't find it in the colt 2012 catalog. Can I tell if it's the commander top end by the fact that it is 4.25 inch and has a standard bushing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptymag View Post
Might I interject a potential 'compromise' option...
the TALO CCO (Lightweight Officer's w/4.25" Commander topend)?

I recently owned one, and it gave me the feeling of "old meets new". Lacking a few features I prefer on my carry 1911s, I decided to sell it to a friend, since I already have a 1998 CCO that was easier to modify for my needs/tastes.
But the TALO CCO seems like it would be appealing to an 'old school' 1911 fan who is also looking for a lighter/smaller concealed carry option.
With its simple Commander slide with post sights, standard sized controls, fat grips, and short trigger... it reminds me of a GI styled 1911. Thanks to the lightweight alloy compact frame, it is well suited for concealed carry. The modern grip safety is a welcome addition, making it comfortable to shoot with the higher grip.
I found it VERY pleasant to shoot, very accurate (Match Colt barrel), and relatively easy to shoot 'fast'. With minimal lubrication, on a windy freezing cold day, it was completely flawless with several different compact mags, firing FMJ and JHP ammo by two shooters with frozen hands/fingers.
I see them on Gunbroker around $1k NIB, but have also seen "slightly used" ones sell for $750-$850.

Last edited by Tommytman; 03-01-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:33 AM

If it has a 4.25 inch barrel and standard bushing, that is the Commander slide and barrel.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:00 AM

Where did you get the grips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69hdfl View Post
Yup! Colt Talo CCO
I love mine

Springfield Armory Loaded
Old 03-02-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19kiloFX4 View Post
Where did you get the grips?
Those grips came stock on the Talo CCO.