1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense

Old 02-10-2012, 10:25 PM

Why I started carrying.

I use to drive an overnight delivery truck, just a pickup truck with a box. I never felt my job was dangerous until after a couple of Instances, neither were an assault or threat. The first time I opened a door to a shop I delivered to, I was followed in by a guy wanting a ride. I have no clue where he came from, I didn't notice anyone around. I would have been cornered if he were a thug.

The second time several months later, I was minutes behind an intruder who had broken into the another store I delivered to. I didn't think much about the door being open wide, but before I a got the papers ready and stepped out of the truck I was being approached by three police cars, lights flashing. Luckily they knew of me and my truck, I think I met everyone of them from being questioned about once a week when we first delivered to this account.

Anyway after this I decided to get a CCW, and boy did awareness increase. I was wondering, if anyone here had a circumstance such as mine and decided it was time to get a CCW permit?
Old 02-11-2012, 11:17 AM

Just because I like to be prepared. Like insurance.
It is just like a knife in a drawer, there when you need it and not bothering anyone when you don't.

Sled

"Familiarity Breeds Comfort"
Old 02-11-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechott View Post
I use to drive an overnight delivery truck, just a pickup truck with a box. I never felt my job was dangerous until after a couple of Instances, neither were an assault or threat. The first time I opened a door to a shop I delivered to, I was followed in by a guy wanting a ride. I have no clue where he came from, I didn't notice anyone around. I would have been cornered if he were a thug.

The second time several months later, I was minutes behind an intruder who had broken into the another store I delivered to. I didn't think much about the door being open wide, but before I a got the papers ready and stepped out of the truck I was being approached by three police cars, lights flashing. Luckily they knew of me and my truck, I think I met everyone of them from being questioned about once a week when we first delivered to this account.

Anyway after this I decided to get a CCW, and boy did awareness increase. I was wondering, if anyone here had a circumstance such as mine and decided it was time to get a CCW permit?
In Viet Nam, we had a radio station, AFVN. It was like a commercial station, and it carried ads -- for military matters, like "take your primaquine-chloroquine tablets."

Some of the ads were quite clever, especially those for the In-Country R&R Center at Vung Tau. They told how to get there, what the attactions were and so on. Those ads all ended with the same three words, "Bring your weapon."

Good advice. I've followed it ever since.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:36 PM

One of the reasons (of several) I got my CPL was that I wind up often in some desolate areas making sales calls. These areas are often meth production areas, as well as drug trafficking areas. My company policy prohibits carrying...but what they don`t know won't hurt them, and just might keep me alive.

The Mans Prayer...."I am a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess."....Quoted from the Red Green Show.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:37 PM

I Was in marines
Also X prison guard
First thing training seargent said when i walked
Into the prison
Get ur concealed permit
Get a gun and carry it
Inmates do get out
And no matter how nice you are
You will piss some one off
That was 1990
I ran into alot of former inmates over the
Years
And some werent in there for very nice things
Had one chase me down one day
Had my wife and newborn in car with me
Saw his face in the car next to me
He was in max security 2 days ago
Told wife get down. Already had my pistol
In hand n ready
Lucky for this fellow he had huge smile
Was wavin franticly
Hit the next stop light and he said hi
Lucky for him. He was a nice kid. Just wanted to say hi
And that he was out. And said never to return.
Was me first sobering moment from what searge
Had said to me that first day
This incident was maybe 4 months after i had
Started as a guard
Wife then understood why i got my permit
And gun. And carried it every were
Still do to this day
My now 22 year old son carries also
Never good to be cought unprepared
Old 02-11-2012, 10:20 PM

Why I started carrying.

Too old not to.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:49 PM

I saw my first stabbing in second grade on my way to school (P.S. 72 Edison ave in the Bronx). I learned quickly that self defense was up to the individual and not law enforcement. NYC like any other city has its' share of violence so we carried pocket knives, nunchaku sticks, chains and other assorted stuff for protection as kids.

Fast fwd, former MP/PSD and ex jailer/bailiff so I'm comfortable carrying. I'm uncomfortable not carrying... Now living in Rochester NY, it's a bit more tame but not crime/murder free.
Proverbs 29:10 Bloodthirsty men hate a man of integrity and seek to kill the upright.

Last edited by DANCESWITHGUNS; 02-13-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:33 AM

My motto is there is nothing wrong with being able to take care yourself; and there is nothing wrong with being able to take care of yourself well.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:34 PM

I carry because I take my family's safety very seriously. I do my best to avoid trouble at all costs, but I have twice been in unavoidable situations where me having a gun and the other guy knowing I have a gun was a major factor in a favorable outcome for all involved.

That was in my younger days, too. Now I am getting too old for any nonsense.

My job requires me to be armed as much of the time as possible. No, I am not an operator or LEO of any kind. I am a husband and father.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Yes. I work in a nice corporate office environment. The assumption people there make is that a pretty office, shirts and ties, etc insulate them from the real world.

The "real world" is right around the corner about 2 blocks away, one of the worst Projects in Cinci. I get in to work typically hours before most of the rest of the office and always arrive in the dark. I noticed far too many people just wandering around the streets at 0400-0500 for me to be comfortable. We have had cops chase people on foot through our property. Lighting is good in the parking lot, but plenty of dark corners to hide in. My arrival time is too "routine" for me to be totally comfortable coming and going without very heightened awareness. Any thief worth his salt would know when I was coming. I have adjusted my parking habits, how I carry my laptop bag, keys, etc so I can have the best view possible, hands free, short and quick access to the door. I also had new blinds installed so once I am in the office my lights don't shine out for the world to see.

After about 2 years of coming and going I spooked my CEO one morning who is usually in early as well. He advised he carried for the same reasons. Now, whoever arrives second texts the other before hitting the parking lot. We can then watch out for each other and know who is coming through the door. We are currently working on a plan to help educate everybody on situational awareness and encourage self defense.

Pocket = LCP w/Crimson Trace
IWB Appendix = Walther PPS
IWB = S&W 1911PD
Old 02-13-2012, 08:06 PM

Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by master gunner View Post
why i started carrying.

Too old not to.

+1
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." ~ President Ronald Reagan
Old 02-13-2012, 08:23 PM

After working for the ambulance in many downtown areas for several years, I have unfortunately seen humanities dark side too many times to want to remember. The world has it very nice and very not so nice places- and bad things happen in both. Protect what's yours and those who cannot protect themselves. That's why I carry.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:23 PM

Hurricanes

My primary reason was the chaos after a hurricane hit, and just the growing crime rate in the area.

I live in hurricane alley, Florida. In 2005 I got a wake-up call when we got hit in South Florida with two relatively mild hurricanes Katrina and Wilma, both cat 1 when they hit us 6 weeks apart. Not much damage, lots of downed trees, down fences but worst of all... complete and total power outage in a three county area (Wilma). Within 6 hours of the power failure, telephones went down as well as cell towers since the batteries in the systems could not be recharged.

The first night after Wilma, 6 million people were in the dark. We had dusk to dawn curfew. If you had an emergency you were out of luck since cell phones were out. I couldn't grab a connection on my cell phone or land line for three days.

Anyhow, to make a long story short. If you want to see how quickly a civilized society falls into disrepair, go to a wide area zone with a power outage that last for days. When you have three counties and 6 million people without power, there is no calling 911 for emergency service. There is no getting more gasoline for your generator. Gas stations are either all sold out or they don't have electricity to pump gas. There is no city water because the pressure pumps are out. People go out during the day and fights break out in gas lines, water and ice lines. Think the zombie films are scary? People with kids wanting gasoline for their generators to keep the babies formula milk cold are scarier!

To me, the 2005 hurricane season was a slap in the face wake up call and a learning lesson. I thought I was prepared. I had rifles for home protection, a large generator and a safe home with shuttered windows. I thought I had it made because I had a large generator 6.5 Kva to run the fridge and the well pumps for my deep water well. What I didn't calculate is that a mild Cat 1 storm (Wilma) could take power out for 5 straight days. I had 5ea 5 gal cans of gas for the generator plus another 25 gallons of gas in two cars. What I never realized that the 6.5 kva generator was going to suck gasoline down at the rate of about 1 gal and hour (actually a little less than a gallon about 3/4 of a gallon). I was running out of gas for the generator about 2 1/2 days after the power went out and I am telling you that the entire county was in chaos. Tempers were flaring at the few stores that could open, and people would follow and trail gas tankers to see which gas stations they were going to.

The city I live in put generators at traffic light intersections to keep the intersections safe. People would steal those generators and or siphon the gas out. Generators and gas were something people wanted to steal. If you had a generator, it was best not to light up the entire house because it could bring the attention of generator thieves. Just like the zombie movies.

After 2005, I made sure I had a license to carry the following year. I always had guns in the house, large guns, but never felt the need to carry. The lesson in all this and I see it as a prelude, a lesson, is that our power grid is what separates us from the savages in other parts of the world and it doesn't take much to upset the balance.

That is why I got on the handgun carry license bandwagon. Hurricanes and the possibility of a complete and total infrastructure breakdown. Before that, I was always a gun person but I was totally against CCW license law because when I grew up in Florida, the state was open carry and "plain sight" state. I felt that getting finger printed and "licensed" to exercise my 2nd amendment right was an infringement of that right. But anyhow, I really saw the need to carry legally after the 2005 season and as I got more into it, I really began to appreciate that right even if I had to be "licensed" which I felt was unconstitutional.

Oh shoot... I am ranting once again.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:33 AM

Why I carry a handgun....

I have always liked the logic of this phrase.....

I'd rather have a gun and not need it, then to need a gun and not have it!

Being preprared for a "worst case self defense scenario" seems to be make more sense than simply living a life of tranquility and hoping nothing will ever happen.... There are a lot of people taking "long dirt naps" (buried 6 ft. underground) that were never prepared for "a worst case SD scenario".

As an NRA instructor here in FLA, I taught many concealed carry classes at a local gun range. Many of the students were woman, and most were former victims of some brutal and violent criminal act. They decided they did not want to become a victim again. Too bad it takes some tragic event to stimulate people into thinking about their natural right to self preservation and how they may need to protect themselves.

For urban citizens, many people live from pay check to paycheck, and the current state of the economy isn't helping. Any disruption to the supply lines of food, water, electricity and gasoline can cause total anarchy......major natural disasters have proven this. Economic collapse is another major concern.....it never hurts to prepare for the worst case scenario. Guns and gold would be a plus in an economic downfall of any government! I wonder how some of the governments in Europe will fare this year due to their economic problems?

Last edited by richpetrone; 02-14-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:42 AM

Being able to defend myself simply seems a logical thing to do to me. That is why I am armed, there isn't much to it, really.

What would I do if I would be attacked on a street, returning from work late in evening? Lay down and pray the attackers wouldn't leave me mangled for the rest of my life? Sorry, I'm not a christian, I don't believe in this "turning the other cheek" thing (no offense intended to anyone!). And I don't believe I could defend (or defend someone) against a group of attackers without a firearm, even if I somehow would become very proficient in martial arts.

I realized this still being in school and never left home without a gun ever since I came of age to legally have one.

Last edited by Dragoniel; 02-14-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoniel View Post
I'm not a christian, I don't believe in this "turning the other cheek" thing (no offense intended to anyone!).
I'm a Christian and take no offense at all. In fact, I and countless other Christians through the centuries don't and wouldn't have. I'm no biblical scholar, but I do know that a mainstream tradition from the earliest years has been that "turning the other cheek" was Jesus' teaching to people who act IN THE NAME OF JESUS or AS A CHURCH. In other words, no fighting in the name of Christ, no organized religious army, no Christian Jihad as it were. Fighting to protect yourself or family as an individual or out of simple self-preservation? Absolutely. Fighting to expand the church or enforce Christian rules or protect a religious organization? Absolutely not! Jesus made sure at least one of his disciples carried a sword. He also said that if his kingdom was of this world his followers would fight--the implication being that the kingdom of heaven shouldn't be defended with swords but earthly kingdoms (home, family, neighborhoods, my own physical self) may indeed be defended with arms.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bryant View Post
I'm a Christian and take no offense at all. In fact, I and countless other Christians through the centuries don't and wouldn't have. I'm no biblical scholar, but I do know that a mainstream tradition from the earliest years has been that "turning the other cheek" was Jesus' teaching to people who act IN THE NAME OF JESUS or AS A CHURCH. In other words, no fighting in the name of Christ, no organized religious army, no Christian Jihad as it were. Fighting to protect yourself or family as an individual or out of simple self-preservation? Absolutely. Fighting to expand the church or enforce Christian rules or protect a religious organization? Absolutely not! Jesus made sure at least one of his disciples carried a sword. He also said that if his kingdom was of this world his followers would fight--the implication being that the kingdom of heaven shouldn't be defended with swords but earthly kingdoms (home, family, neighborhoods, my own physical self) may indeed be defended with arms.
Serious question here. I am a Christian and carry in church. Do think I would be wrong to use deadly force if a situation arises? We leave the doors unlocked during service and in the world today some people hate Jesus and Christians so much that they may be willing to kill because of it.

Just a question I wouldn't mind some feedback on!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberpadge View Post
Serious question here. I am a Christian and carry in church. Do think I would be wrong to use deadly force if a situation arises? We leave the doors unlocked during service and in the world today some people hate Jesus and Christians so much that they may be willing to kill because of it.

Just a question I wouldn't mind some feedback on!
Start a new thread on it. Worthy and important topic, but above my pay grade.

All I could say would be that I think there is a difference between private arms in a church service and paid church staff protecting private church property or enforcing compliance with church rules or expanding church influence--a difference between a private citizen at a church service acting privately to protect individuals, and a church itself having an organized army of some sort to further its agenda. I stand to be corrected if this isn't legit.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:40 AM

I decided
To get my concealed carry permit when I was working on a beer delivery truck. I walked into an account where an armed robber just left from and I beat the cops there and the second reason was the owner of an account I just delivered to was shot to death by two crack heads that I had seen several times in the store. He was shot just over an hour after I left. Now I carry everywhere I go, every day, no exceptions.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bryant View Post
Start a new thread on it. Worthy and important topic, but above my pay grade.

All I could say would be that I think there is a difference between private arms in a church service and paid church staff protecting private church property or enforcing compliance with church rules or expanding church influence--a difference between a private citizen at a church service acting privately to protect individuals, and a church itself having an organized army of some sort to further its agenda. I stand to be corrected if this isn't legit.
Good idea. I meant as a private citizen not as a deacon or pastor etc. nobody in the church besides my wife knows I carry. I just wonder if the situation came down to it what other people would think. Some may be happy I do but some may not who knows. I know I feel naked if I don't carry. I always carry a m&p blade but very hard to throw it far lol. Seems if I don't carry I feel as if that day could be the day when I would need it and not have it.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
My primary reason was the chaos after a hurricane hit, and just the growing crime rate in the area.

I live in hurricane alley, Florida. In 2005 I got a wake-up call when we got hit in South Florida with two relatively mild hurricanes Katrina and Wilma, both cat 1 when they hit us 6 weeks apart. Not much damage, lots of downed trees, down fences but worst of all... complete and total power outage in a three county area (Wilma). Within 6 hours of the power failure, telephones went down as well as cell towers since the batteries in the systems could not be recharged.

The first night after Wilma, 6 million people were in the dark. We had dusk to dawn curfew. If you had an emergency you were out of luck since cell phones were out. I couldn't grab a connection on my cell phone or land line for three days.

Anyhow, to make a long story short. If you want to see how quickly a civilized society falls into disrepair, go to a wide area zone with a power outage that last for days. When you have three counties and 6 million people without power, there is no calling 911 for emergency service. There is no getting more gasoline for your generator. Gas stations are either all sold out or they don't have electricity to pump gas. There is no city water because the pressure pumps are out. People go out during the day and fights break out in gas lines, water and ice lines. Think the zombie films are scary? People with kids wanting gasoline for their generators to keep the babies formula milk cold are scarier!

To me, the 2005 hurricane season was a slap in the face wake up call and a learning lesson. I thought I was prepared. I had rifles for home protection, a large generator and a safe home with shuttered windows. I thought I had it made because I had a large generator 6.5 Kva to run the fridge and the well pumps for my deep water well. What I didn't calculate is that a mild Cat 1 storm (Wilma) could take power out for 5 straight days. I had 5ea 5 gal cans of gas for the generator plus another 25 gallons of gas in two cars. What I never realized that the 6.5 kva generator was going to suck gasoline down at the rate of about 1 gal and hour (actually a little less than a gallon about 3/4 of a gallon). I was running out of gas for the generator about 2 1/2 days after the power went out and I am telling you that the entire county was in chaos. Tempers were flaring at the few stores that could open, and people would follow and trail gas tankers to see which gas stations they were going to.

The city I live in put generators at traffic light intersections to keep the intersections safe. People would steal those generators and or siphon the gas out. Generators and gas were something people wanted to steal. If you had a generator, it was best not to light up the entire house because it could bring the attention of generator thieves. Just like the zombie movies.

After 2005, I made sure I had a license to carry the following year. I always had guns in the house, large guns, but never felt the need to carry. The lesson in all this and I see it as a prelude, a lesson, is that our power grid is what separates us from the savages in other parts of the world and it doesn't take much to upset the balance.

That is why I got on the handgun carry license bandwagon. Hurricanes and the possibility of a complete and total infrastructure breakdown. Before that, I was always a gun person but I was totally against CCW license law because when I grew up in Florida, the state was open carry and "plain sight" state. I felt that getting finger printed and "licensed" to exercise my 2nd amendment right was an infringement of that right. But anyhow, I really saw the need to carry legally after the 2005 season and as I got more into it, I really began to appreciate that right even if I had to be "licensed" which I felt was unconstitutional.

Oh shoot... I am ranting once again.
Your post is anything but a "rant", it is excellent information and kind of what I feel I need to know. We recently moved to FL. I'm very concerned about exactly what you are talking about.

I am trying to formulate a plan to be as prepared as I can in the event of the possibility of what you experienced in 2005 occurring again this year or in the years to come. The thought of our county let alone three counties being totally without power for days scares the hell out of me.

I'm afraid I will totally lose my "sense of humor" if others try to take my "stuff".
Old 02-14-2012, 01:30 PM

I'm not a "survivalist" (whatever that is), I just live on a remote farm in the Ozarks. I built my house with just such disasters in mind -- I have a fully-finished basement with a wood-burning stove and my "machine room" (where the HVAC, drains, water, hot water heater, telephone and power are concentrated) has room for a gun safe, a freezer, shelves for canned goods, a Coleman lantern, a Coleman stove, a small generator, and so on. When the power goes out (always in winter!) that's where the wife and I live. And usually the roads are impassible for at least a few days.

On February 5th, 2008, a tornado ripped through the County Seat, knocked out power for a week, and left us cut off from the rest of the world. After that, we had a blizzard that knocked out power again, two 100-year floods on the White River, the remnants of Hurricane Ike that knocked out power, and finally on January 27th, 2009, the Mother of All Ice Storms that knocked out power for two weeks.

In that one year, the wife and I spent 30 days and nights living in the basement -- and thanking God we had been wise enough to be thoroughly prepared.

If we need police, it takes at least half an hour for a Deputy to respond. The same for ambulances or fire trucks.

So the message is, "If anything bad happens, handle it yourself."
Old 02-14-2012, 03:14 PM

I consider carrying a weapon a major decision, I hope never to be in a position where my survival depends upon my actions. Knowing that people do unimaginable things when desperate, having the mindset of protecting family and self is the only option. I hope that the people in this nation would help each other and individual families work out a strategy to weather an infrastructure breakdown, but that is wishful thinking.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:35 PM

When the Injuns started showing up on my TV @ 2:00 A.M.
[IMG][/IMG]

And when I was delivering propane to the ghettos of E. St. Louis, IL. and had thousands of dollars on me because everyone was "cash, COD".

But I did finally shoot that Injun trying to get me in the TV in 1952
Old 02-14-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I consider carrying a weapon a major decision, I hope never to be in a position where my survival depends upon my actions. Knowing that people do unimaginable things when desperate, having the mindset of protecting family and self is the only option. I hope that the people in this nation would help each other and individual families work out a strategy to weather an infrastructure breakdown, but that is wishful thinking.
Do what I did -- work out your own strategy. Then talk to your neighbors and share information -- pretty soon you have a community of people who are mutually supporting.

When the Mother of All Ice Storms came, my access road -- 3/4s of a mile -- was blocked by trees and power poles down. I cut my way out, and as I got close to the county road, I could hear other chain saws -- neighbors helping each other cut their way out.

My nearest neighbor (a quarter of a mile away) had a stroke during a blizzard. I got a call -- the First Responder couldn't get down the access road. I have four-wheel drive and chains, and I got out and delivered her to my neighbor's house.