1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 02-07-2012, 12:58 PM

Help removing primer- not reloading

Guys,
I have a round that was fired during a 21 shot salute for my grandfather that I would like to attach to my keychain so it is always with me. I only have one case of this sentimental ammunition brass so there is no room for error. I am not a reloaded so I can't so just pop the primer out with my equipment. I would like to remove the primer so that I can put an eye hook into the base of the case. How should I go about doing this, drill the primer, punch the primer with a punch and hammer? Any ideas are appreciated since this is very important to me and I dont want to screw it up. If it is not possible to do this safely I might be able to find a reloaded who could do it for me. Thank you for your input.

-Schnacke
Old 02-07-2012, 01:09 PM

Find a pin that fits thru the primer hole thru the case mouth. Puch it out. Done. However, you must make sure it is not a Berdan primed gun. A better choice: Find a reloader to do it for you, or even a gunsmith.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:11 PM

If you drill it than thread a eye screw into it you may be able to pull it. For Berdan brass some people use hydraulics. Put the case into an extended socket that holds the brass snug. Fill the brass with water. Use a .308 or slightly under dowel to punch the primer out. Just put the dowle in the mouth of the case and a quick rap with a hammer on th dowel will force the water to push out the primer.

Or go to your local GS and ask if the proprieter knows someone that will decap it for you.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:13 PM

if you are planning on flying, better plan to leave that part of the keychain at home. just ask Medal of Honor recipient Joe Foss.

if it's a military round, the primer is likely crimped, and will make popping it out a little more difficult.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:22 PM

you only have one, so I would go find a gunsmith or a reloader with the proper equipment so it doesn't get messed up. GRECO was right on with this advise!
COTEP MEMBER #554
“True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,
but the urge to serve others, at whatever cost.” -A. Ashe
Old 02-07-2012, 01:24 PM

Ever lost your keys? I have. I'm not sure I would put something that special on my keychain, but that is your choice.

1911 Lefties who don't use ambi safeties - Member #1
Old 02-07-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-DAB View Post
if you are planning on flying, better plan to leave that part of the keychain at home. just ask Medal of Honor recipient Joe Foss.

if it's a military round, the primer is likely crimped, and will make popping it out a little more difficult.
Here is the info on the Joe Foss part......I live is SD, an amazing man here! NRA chaiman too at one point......I wouldn't get worried about an airport anylonger though, I have a .45acp bullet keychain and have never had a problem.....anyhoo...

On January 11, 2002, Foss, then 86, was in the news when he was detained by security at the Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. He was scheduled to deliver an address at the National Rifle Association and speak to a class at the United States Military Academy at West Point. A search necessitated by his pacemaker precluding a metal detector screening had led to the discovery of the star-shaped Medal of Honor, along with a clearly marked dummy-bullet keychain, a second replica bullet and a small nail file (with MOH insignia). All airport security personnel demonstrated poor judgment in not recognizing the Medal of Honor and in demanding to confiscate and destroy the medal and related memorabilia. Their repeated requests for Foss to remove his boots, hat and belt were both a time consuming inconvenience and an embarrassment, and demonstrated a lack of regard for a decorated war hero.[N 7] "I wasn't upset for me," he said. "I was upset for the Medal of Honor, that they just didn't know what it even was. It represents all of the guys who lost their lives – the guys who never came back. Everyone who put their lives on the line for their country. You're supposed to know what the Medal of Honor is."[38] The incident led to a national debate about post 9/11 airport security practices and their ramifications on the average citizen
COTEP MEMBER #554
“True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,
but the urge to serve others, at whatever cost.” -A. Ashe
Old 02-07-2012, 01:49 PM

Others gave you good advice on nothing going through with your plans.

But if you insist, you don't need to remove the primer. Drill a hole near just above the base of the cartridge case all the way through to the other side. Run a length of those little beads chain with the snap through it. That is how a lot of souvenir cartridge key chain makers do.

Just remember, if you go through TSA check points at the airport, THEY WILL TAKE IT.
They always do, even before 9-11. How do I know? They took my .45acp fake cartridge keychain. Fortunately, I was not sentimentally attached to it. I was only out $2.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:54 PM

You could post your location and I am sure that one of our friendly members would be glad to help you out.

If you are close to me, I would be honored to do this for you!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMC530 View Post
The incident led to a national debate about post 9/11 airport security practices and their ramifications on the average citizen

And changed nothing; they are still hiring the brain dead.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by master gunner View Post
And changed nothing; they are still hiring the brain dead.

partly true. they are hiring people who are told to follow some set of rules, and no common sense is permitted.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-DAB View Post
partly true. they are hiring people who are told to follow some set of rules, and no common sense is permitted.
Using common sense and discretion would involve thinking.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky T View Post
Others gave you good advice on nothing going through with your plans.

But if you insist, you don't need to remove the primer. Drill a hole near just above the base of the cartridge case all the way through to the other side. Run a length of those little beads chain with the snap through it. That is how a lot of souvenir cartridge key chain makers do.

Just remember, if you go through TSA check points at the airport, THEY WILL TAKE IT.
They always do, even before 9-11. How do I know? They took my .45acp fake cartridge keychain. Fortunately, I was not sentimentally attached to it. I was only out $2.
This will work, but if you want to keep the brass intact you need to remove the primer. I agree that you should take it to a reloader or a gunsmith and get it removed.

Once out, a cotter pin can be stuck though the primer hole, legs spread on the inside of the case, and just string it on a bead chain...

"Today these eyes scan bleached-out land for the coming of the outbound stage" - Bruce Cockburn - Pacing the Cage
Old 02-07-2012, 06:19 PM

I like Harry's idea with the cotter pin.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Roe View Post
I like Harry's idea with the cotter pin.
As do I. Never thought of it. I think I'd put a little epoxy inside the case to keep it from pulling out.