1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 01-19-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilinShooter View Post
I'd take my Sig Sauer P238 Titanium Nitride /W night sights & BB 380 Auto +P Ammo - 100 gr. Hardcast F.N. (1150fps/ M.E. 294 ft. lbs.) over a bulky pocket 9 anytime.

It's had all the kinks worked out and runs 100 percent. $400 all day long...
the P238 grew up into a 9mm...P938

Old 01-19-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
the P238 grew up into a 9mm...P938

Now that might be useful.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
Now that might be useful.
+1. I love my p238, and will be getting one of the new p938s.

Am I interested in an expensive blingy Kimber 380? Not so much.
COTEP #0381
"I have one simple request... and that is to have sharks with fricking laser beams attached to their heads!"
--Dr. Evil
Old 01-19-2012, 02:11 PM

The price point of this Micro 380 is just a "tad" optimistic indeed. Now a Sig P238 however is in the more realistic price bracket. The new P938 looks nice
SIS Pro 45 Auto
Old 01-19-2012, 07:44 PM

I really like my Sig P238 SAS, but if this CDP had been out at the time I would have probably spent a little more for it.

Kimber, now here this, make this pistol in 9mm, not the Solo.

A pistol like this is great for carrying when you are running or mountain biking. Cant feel the weight and stays put in a tight pocket or pack.

A 9, 40 or 45 it's not, but I am pretty sure it would serve the purpose.

Out!
Old 01-21-2012, 06:20 PM

I'm a Kimber fan but this is an overpriced keychain. Why would you want a less potent rnd in a package that many companies can put a 9mm in? The Ruger LC9 (9mm 7+1 rnds 17.2 oz and just under an inch wide) is a better option in my honest opinion and a whole lot cheaper.

A Kimber rep claiming this weapon is a mini 1911? Where's the plunger tube, grip safety and.....

Sorry guys, with what they're asking and what it is I'd find other options.
Proverbs 29:10 Bloodthirsty men hate a man of integrity and seek to kill the upright.

Last edited by DANCESWITHGUNS; 01-21-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:43 PM

ramco: "I love my Kimbers and I know that they want to have a product in every market niche they can. I just don't see the need for this gun when we have a SIG 238"

I just found this slightly comical. Thinking slightly more thoroughly reveals Colt (and many others) make a pretty good 1911 too...wait for it...
Old 01-21-2012, 09:04 PM

FWIW:
I went to the SHOT Show and checked out the Kimber micro, the mustang, and the p938. The Mustang is great looking, as expected, with an MSRP of $599, but the sights are unimproved (still terrible). Kimber's sights are very nice, and they had a laser grip micro on display as well. Kimber has a nice feel to it, as expected -- at well over a grand, it does make the mustang and p238 seem like bargains. The 938 is very nice, and it is very similar to the 238 -- however, it still seemed bulkier than I hoped. I guess the beefier slide, the thicker grip, etc all added up. I liked it more than the LC9 and other comparable models, but I expected (or hoped) the dimensional differences between it and the 238 might be less noticable. Holding the 938 made me wonder, if it wasn't quite compact enough, should I just stick with the Glock 27 and then carry the 238 when concealability is key? I'll be curious to shoot a 938 and have a better basis for an opinion about it. Just my observations from a day at the SHOT show.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANCESWITHGUNS View Post
A Kimber rep claiming this weapon is a mini 1911?
Well, I guess because it is a copy (or a descendant) of the Colt "Mustang" family, which were in their various forms copies of the 1911....
Old 01-22-2012, 12:41 PM
1911 Aficionado

The Mustang and other Colt .380s have their controls in places familiar to 1911 fans, but the little guns are not miniature 1911s. Think about the mechanical features that define the 1911 - sliding trigger, swinging link, grip safety - and you find none of them on the little Colt, or SIG, or Kimber. The little guns are more like the old Star BK series pistols; looking outwardly like 1911s, but mechanically very different.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Think about the mechanical features that define the 1911 - sliding trigger, swinging link, grip safety - and you find none of them on the little Colt, or SIG, or Kimber.
So what do you call the Colt's New Agent and 1991 DA Lightweight Commander models?
How about all the Para-Ordnance LDA pistols?
Old 01-22-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Looks like another Colt Mustang knockoff, so there shouldn't have to be any wheel reinventing involved.
well that's true, but Kimber is just another Colt 1911 knockoff, in general. Actual street price will be substantially lower, and Kimber will sell these hand over fist.

"Kimber is just 2-3 years late to the party..." so was Ruger and the SR1911, doesn't stop people from buying those like hotcakes.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:14 PM

Classic Kimber, after everyone else has re introduced the colt mustang in 380 and everyone I know wants it in 9mm, Kimber comes late to the game and in 380? What were they thinking? If the Sig 938 is reliable it will be the last nail in the solo's coffin. Kimber won't sell many of these nor will they sell many solos if the 938 is out of the box reliable. Thats a big if though....
Old 01-23-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
That tag says $1,135 I think they are a bit over priced.
If it's a Kimber, it must be overpriced!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWolken View Post
Classic Kimber, after everyone else has re introduced the colt mustang in 380 and everyone I know wants it in 9mm, Kimber comes late to the game and in 380? What were they thinking? If the Sig 938 is reliable it will be the last nail in the solo's coffin. Kimber won't sell many of these nor will they sell many solos if the 938 is out of the box reliable. Thats a big if though....
Yes! I agree the P938 will dominate that niche, but they will sell the this micro Kimber in a .380 as well.

The P938 looks like a winner. I have a P238 and it came out of the box flawlessly, one of the only .380 autos that I have that has almost never had a stovepipe, FTF or FTE and I have more than 500 rounds through it including Buffalo Bore's version of a .380 +P ammo. I say "almost flawless" only because a grip screws came loose one shooting session and it resulted in a fail to feed or two before I realized, the gun was slipping and sliding in my hand.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:36 PM
1911 Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn-SC View Post
So what do you call the Colt's New Agent and 1991 DA Lightweight Commander models?
How about all the Para-Ordnance LDA pistols?
NOT 1911s.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGun View Post
+1. I love my p238, and will be getting one of the new p938s.

Am I interested in an expensive blingy Kimber 380? Not so much.
I wonder if the P238 grips can be used on the P938, I went all out and bought black anodized aluminum grips, rubber combat grips, and cocobolo grips for my P238 when I first got it. I'm a fool for accessorizing my toys, but the bonus is when the accessories work across several models! From the specs on the Sig Sauer site it appears it will since all the dimension are 100% exact with the sole exception of the barrel length which is 1/2 inch longer on the P938.

I'm pretty excited about it, the P238 is the most accurate .380 I have and with the right ammo such as Buffalo Bore +p you can deliver a blow almost as powerful as a micro compact nine.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:58 PM

You may have a problem with the ambi safety? Not sure just saying. If I was sig I would keep it the same so it would already have holsters and grips etc. this would be a huge advantage to help jump start their sales. My guess is that many of the p238 owners may be selling theirs to get into the 9mm which will bring used gun prices down. Just another reason it was stupid of Kimber to think that they could introduce them at $1,000.00 Even if the street price is $800 its still $200 more than the P238 probably $3-400 more than a used one.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWolken View Post
You may have a problem with the ambi safety? Not sure just saying. If I was sig I would keep it the same so it would already have holsters and grips etc. this would be a huge advantage to help jump start their sales. My guess is that many of the p238 owners may be selling theirs to get into the 9mm which will bring used gun prices down. Just another reason it was stupid of Kimber to think that they could introduce them at $1,000.00 Even if the street price is $800 its still $200 more than the P238 probably $3-400 more than a used one.
Yup. I just noticed the ambi-safety. The right side grip has a whole chunk cut out for the safety lever to sweep through.

Thanks for pointing it out. If I do get it, I might look at changing the lever to a single side only. I am sure someone will come up with a solution. Frankly I hate ambi-safeties. It's what keeps me from installing a Crimson Trace laser grip on my Kimber Ultra CDP II.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
Yup. I just noticed the ambi-safety. The right side grip has a whole chunk cut out for the safety lever to sweep through.

Thanks for pointing it out. If I do get it, I might look at changing the lever to a single side only. I am sure someone will come up with a solution. Frankly I hate ambi-safeties. It's what keeps me from installing a Crimson Trace laser grip on my Kimber Ultra CDP II.
You can put a CT laser grip on an ultra cdp.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
You can put a CT laser grip on an ultra cdp.
I'll look into it. I was under the impression I needed to send the gun in to Kimber and they would install a bobbed right side ambi-safety lever in, so it wouldn't interfere with the laser housing on the grip, and I just didn't want to be out of my Kimber Ultra CDP II for a month. It's my bedside companion.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:22 AM

Check this out.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/products...istols/01-9490
Old 01-24-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Excellent!

See this is what Kimber shows on their product page:

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/cdp-ii

I have the one on the top left. The one on the top right is their factory installed OEM Laser grip. Notice how that version has a bobbed lever. When I spoke with them, they said the laser grip would not fit unless I sent it in and they would install a new bobbed lever. I had to pay for the shipping and the gunsmithing so I said heck with it. I must have missed the LG-905 Master Series CT product at some point or it's new.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:55 PM

Bobbed Ambi-Safety

Here is what you need to put on your Kimber to install the Crimson Trace if it doesn't have a Bobbed Ambi-Safety.

http://store.kimberamerica.com/Defau...ed+ambi-safety
Selling Central Florida "by the yard"
Old 01-24-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRealtor View Post
Here is what you need to put on your Kimber to install the Crimson Trace if it doesn't have a Bobbed Ambi-Safety.

http://store.kimberamerica.com/Defau...ed+ambi-safety
How much gunsmithing is needed to swap that out. My gunsmithing skill's are rudimentary.