1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 12-21-2011, 08:18 PM

My dressed-up Walther COLT 1911 Gold Cup Trophy .22LR Pistol

I recently completed dressing-up my Walther COLT 1911 Gold Cup Trophy pistol. . .

Upgraded Parts List:
ZR Tactical Solutions 1911 mini-compensator
Fusion Firearms dovetail contoured base 0.200" front sight with white dot
10-8 Performance extended mag catch
Cylinder & Slide light pull sear spring
Cylinder & Slide high grip wide extended thumb safety
Pachmayr American Legend Series grips

I've had her out to the firing range on three occasions so far, put over a thousand rounds of CCI Blazer through her, and not a single hiccup or malfunction experienced. With the authority she ejects spent rimfire casings, I hazard to guess she would digest absolutely any .22LR ammunition I could find to feed her. I'm ecstatic with this pistol's performance and handling characteristics; installation of the Cylinder & Slide light pull sear spring and the ZRTS steel mini-comp have markedly improved upon what was already a stellar 1911 .22LR pistol. She has unquestionably earned a place at the top within my range bag for all my future range outings.

What do you think?

~Gary

Last edited by Garys4598; 12-22-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:22 AM

Very nice, just needs less comp and more supressor
Old 12-22-2011, 11:43 AM

Where did you get that 22 Gold Cup top end? I would love to get one for my Gold Cup Trophy.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
Where did you get that 22 Gold Cup top end? I would love to get one for my Gold Cup Trophy.
Ahhhhhh . . . you're joking, right?
Old 12-22-2011, 10:02 PM

With the authority she ejects spent cases? Sounds like Mickey Spillane's gun. Let's see the right side. Nice tacti-skull Bohica.

Last edited by Robsauto; 12-23-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:12 PM

Hmmmm. . . members' humor here is more diverse than I would have guessed.

I took no right view photo (IMO it would have been boring). You'll have to made do with the top view second photo.

Last edited by Garys4598; 12-22-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garys4598 View Post
Ahhhhhh . . . you're joking, right?
I was wondering the same thing.
Some of us aren't as familiar with all the variations of 1911s out there, although I'm probably as knowledgeable as most. Do they actually make a Gold Cup .22?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex B View Post
I was wondering the same thing.
Some of us aren't as familiar with all the variations of 1911s out there, although I'm probably as knowledgeable as most. Do they actually make a Gold Cup .22?
Carl Walther of Germany does, through licensing from COLT.
Walther has three models of a COLT 1911 .22LR Pistol currently out: 1) Government 1911A1, 2) Rail Gun, and 3) Gold Cup.

http://www.colt22rimfire.com/index.php?page=colt-1911
Old 12-23-2011, 11:34 AM

It's all about diversity these days.

For Two Guns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3--2UMm7trc

All of these 1911 .22 copies are going to kill the market for .22 conversions. Especially when some are cheaper than a conversion unit.

Last edited by Robsauto; 12-23-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsauto View Post
All of these 1911 .22 copies are going to kill the market for .22 conversions. Especially when some are cheaper than a conversion unit.
I couldn't agree with you more. Albeit, this is the only 1911 pistol that I personally own.

If anyone is interested. . .
The biggest challenge I experienced with dressing-up this pistol to my desired level, was replacing the OEM aluminum front sight with a steel sight with white dot (my old eyes kind of mandated that for full enjoyment of the pistol). The dovetail slot cut into the front of the slide is very deep. . . all my internet searches revealed no aftermarket front sight blades that had a base thick or tall enough to be appropriate for this pistol. Perhaps the depth of the front and rear sights' dovetail slots are a European thing, or perhaps its an intentional design consideration for the aluminum alloy slide, but whatever the reason to my knowledge no one makes a replacement sight that will fit appropriately.

So, I set out to make do with what I could obtain for a white dot front sight. . . and then went down the path of modification. I found two online suppliers that carried "contoured base, dovetail cut" 1911 front sights, ordered from both but found only one useable at the 0.200" height. I had to carefully file the aftermarket front sight's dovetail base so that it would fit into the slide's dovetail slot. . . and then I applied steel putty to the sight's base in order to create a "taller" base. Below are in-progress photos of what I am referring to:

After the steel putty cured, I then carefully angle filed the sight's base to again fit the slide's dovetail slot. Below is a photo of the sight, prior to conducting the final fitting of the sight to the pistol's slide.

After I reduced enough of the sight's base to allow it to very snuggly fit into the slide's dovetail slot (since this pistol's slide is aluminum alloy, I knew I should not obtain as tight a fit with this aftermarket steel sight as one would if installing it into a steel slide), I cleaned all appropriate surfaces with acetone and then applied Loctite 620 (the green stuff) to the slide's dovetail slot before inserting and tapping the sight into final position. This puppy isn't going anywhere.

ZR Tactical Solutions 1911 mini-compensator
The final challenge to this pistol project was the coordination conducted with ZR Tactical Solutions (ZRTS) toward fabricating a prototype muzzle compensator for the Walther COLT 1911. The mini-comp that ZRTS came up with and which is attached to my pistol, has three separate parts: 1) a barrel assembly locking nut, 2) a muzzle comp locking nut which allows the user to index the comp correctly, and 3) the compensator itself. Per my request, the ‘barrel assembly locking nut’ is fabricated with a collar or lip similar to that found on the Walther OEM barrel thread protector (sans rubber O ring), which seats itself over the pistol barrel and inside the barrel shroud. It’s a miniscule detail but I believed it important toward insuring that the barrel shroud maintains its equal-distance around the barrel (e.g., not become misaligned) after the locking nut has been screwed down tight.

Yea. . . "too much information!!" Yet the folks that own one of these Walther COLT 1911 .22LR Pistols will know and appreciate what I am speaking of. FWIW, the barrel assembly of the Walther COLT 1911s is identical to that of the Walther P22 pistol.

Last edited by Garys4598; 12-23-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:47 AM

Hey, Merry Christmas everyone! . . . . . . . .
Old 12-26-2011, 12:55 PM

Oh, I failed to mention that I came up with a simple fix for the magazine polymer loading sleeve. During my second range firing outing, while loading magazines I noticed that when I reached the point of inserting the last few rounds into a mag, with more pressure needing to be applied to the loading sleeve to depress the mag spring, the inside bottom lip of the loading sleeve would sometimes slip and become lodged between the mag's frame and the mag's side button. To eliminate the hollow space underneath/inside the loading sleeve, I simply filled in that space with steel putty, let it cure and sanded it flat. "Walla!" Problem solved. Here's a photo:

Old 12-26-2011, 02:29 PM

Very nice! I own the Government model of the Walther Colt 1911 .22lr, and didn't even realize they made a Gold Cup model. Your model sure looks a lot nicer than mine!

I did own a Chiappa .22lr 1911, and I really hate to rip on a manufacturer, but it was junk. Couldn't get through a single mag without some issue. The front site even fell off. But the Walther Colt .22lr 1911 is fantastic. Yes, I've still had a few hiccups, but a few is much better than many. I shoot it all the time as it's just a fun gun to shoot.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:38 AM

And this one is...

The Rail Gun. Because if this one I had to go out and buy the 45acp! I really like the mini-comp! Looks like she is ready to take down bowling pins! She's got attitude! Lol.

Last edited by Rapidray; 12-27-2011 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Add a like!
Old 12-31-2011, 10:51 PM

Wishing all Walther COLT 1911 Pistol owners the grandest of New Years. Happy 2012!!!

Old 01-01-2012, 09:34 PM

It is a great little gun. I put about 500 rounds through it now. Almost all Rem Golden Bullets (dirtiest lil' biznitches). Had a few FTE/Stove Pipes but am blaming it on the ammo.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsauto View Post
With the authority she ejects spent cases? Sounds like Mickey Spillane's gun. Let's see the right side. Nice tacti-skull Bohica.
No, I am not joking. I love that thing.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:06 PM

Hey Gary

How's the fit between the slide and the frame in the ready-to-fire position, and the barrel bushing to the barrel and to the frame on the G.C.?

Scott
Old 01-03-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
Hey Gary

How's the fit between the slide and the frame in the ready-to-fire position, and the barrel bushing to the barrel and to the frame on the G.C.?

Scott
Well (providing I understand your question correctly). . . if you are referring to how much of a gap exists between the slide/barrel bushing and the back of the ZTRS mini-comp, then my reply is hundredths of an inch. When installing the comp onto the barrel, I am able to give the compensator approximately less than a quarter more of a turn (based on its current indexing as depicted in the photos) before it bottom's out tight against the bushing (so naturally, I back it up; start unthreading it, until the comp's ports are indexed correctly. . . which as mentioned, is less than a quarter of turn).

With the example prototype mini-comp that I received from ZRTS, they could not have more perfectly tapped the threads.

Did I answer your question?

~Gary

Last edited by Garys4598; 01-03-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Well (providing I understand your question correctly). . . if you are referring to how much of a gap exists between the slide/barrel bushing and the back of the ZTRS mini-comp, then my reply is hundredths of an inch. When installing the comp onto the barrel, I am able to give the compensator approximately less than a quarter more of a turn (based on its current indexing as depicted in the photos) before it bottom's out tight against the bushing (so naturally, I back it up; start unthreading it, until the comp's ports are indexed correctly. . . which as mentioned, is less than a quarter of turn).

With the example prototype mini-comp that I received from ZRTS, they could not have more perfectly tapped the threads.

Did I answer your question?

~Gary
Not exactly ....

My question was geared more toward the fit between the slide and the frame in the ready-to-fire position? Is the slide loose when its ready to fire? 2nd is the bushing loose on the barrel?

Scott
Old 01-03-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
Not exactly ....

My question was geared more toward the fit between the slide and the frame in the ready-to-fire position? Is the slide loose when its ready to fire? 2nd is the bushing loose on the barrel?

Scott
I never considered looking or "feeling" how tight the slide to lower frame fit is, with my pistol. But now that you've asked, I'll go check it out for you.

Okay, so while my pistol is in the ready-to-fire configuration, I am able to manually move the slide laterally (side to side) just a wee-bit and I can audibly hear the slightest of "clacking" noises while doing so.

Regarding the bushing, it "feels" and sounds to me as though its slightly tighter up there; near the muzzle.

How are these answers for you? Keep in mind, I've already put over a thousand rounds through my pistol during three separate range trips.

Scott, if you're looking for a slide to frame fit on these Walther COLT 1911 .22LR pistols equivalent to a highly reputable .45ACP 1911 pistol, I think you're barking up the wrong tree my friend. Just my opinion bro.

Last edited by Garys4598; 01-03-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 PM

This fit shouldn't matter as the barrel is fixed to the frame. It's just a retainer for the recoil spring plug basically.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
I never considered looking or "feeling" how tight the slide to lower frame fit is, with my pistol. But now that you've asked, I'll go check it out for you.

Okay, so while my pistol is in the ready-to-fire configuration, I am able to manually move the slide laterally (side to side) just a wee-bit and I can audibly hear the slightest of "clacking" noises while doing so.

Regarding the bushing, it "feels" and sounds to me as though its slightly tighter up there; near the muzzle.

How are these answers for you? Keep in mind, I've already put over a thousand rounds through my pistol during three separate range trips.
Thanks for checking Gary, you answered my question.

Quote:

Scott, if you're looking for a slide to frame fit on these Walther COLT 1911 .22LR pistols equivalent to a highly reputable .45ACP 1911 pistol, I think you're barking up the wrong tree my friend. Just my opinion bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzzer37 View Post
This fit shouldn't matter as the barrel is fixed to the frame. It's just a retainer for the recoil spring plug basically.
I understand that the barrel is fixed on this weapon and it does not "lock up" like a traditional 45, but the slide is where the sights are mounted.

Stick with me for a moment, if the slide does not return to the same position everytime it's fired, then the sight location will not be the same ....

to be continued

Scott

Last edited by dsh1106; 01-04-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:30 AM

I understand. So sight to barrel location can very with every movement of the slide....interesting. Good find!
Old 01-04-2012, 05:38 AM

continued from previous post .....

Now this weapon has a 6.5" sight radius, so a .010 change in location of the front sight would change the POI @ 30' by .563 (9/16") and a .017 change in the location of the front sight would change the POI @ 30' by .959 (~ 61/64").

Scott