1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Range Reports

Old 02-16-2003, 09:38 PM

Where to shoot in VA?

I'm in Richmond, and i've got to tell you, there isn't really anyplace good to go shooting around here. There's one indoor range that i know of, and you can't bring your own ammo to it, not to mention they charge a small fortune to shoot. There's an outdoor range at the chickahominy wildlife reserve that's free, but it's 2 hours away and the weather isn't the best right now. i've checked the website, www.wheretoshoot.com, and the only places it listed were ones i knew about. there's a military base nearby, fort lee, and they have a range, but their pistol range is undergoing some work, and is outdoor anyway. Down at virginia beach is a wonderful range--indoor, about 25 yard, and you can shoot anything up to and including 50bmg in there. 'course, they like you to warn other people on the range before you do that...

the reason i'm asking is that i've got an argentine colt model of 1927 on layaway, and the gunstore's policy on used firearms is a 30 day return period, so after i pay this piece off, i'll need a day or two to clean out about 45 years of gunk, and i'd like to get into a range once or twice before the 30 days is up. Those argentine colts, by the way, are a real bargain--check out cruffler.com and you can find a link to purchase an authorized copy of a colt m1911ai for about $300. very very excellent bargain!
Old 02-17-2003, 07:22 AM

Don't know about the Richmond area, But Charlottesville has a nice Range (Indoor Pistol ) and out door ranges for rifle, pistol, high power. Great set up Great people. Dues are $75.00 yearly after range and safety orentation.

Rivanna Pistol and Rifle Club
Old 02-17-2003, 07:50 PM

Greetings NFB! Welcome. Finding a place here in Richmond is tough. I belong to a private club(Cavalier Pistol & Rifle) and it took me 2 years to get in. Try Blackcreek Shooters Assoc. in Mechanicsville. K.C. Young is the gunsmith/range owner. I can't remember the address but if you call DeGoffs Firearms and ask for Joe Johnson he can tell you all the info you need as he shoots SASS there.
Al
Old 02-18-2003, 07:07 AM

Im in Midlothian

and I would aggree with you guys, nowhere to shoot when the weather is pitiful.. unless you want to drive, or pay a fortune.

I understand there is a range at the Powhatan WMA also, but of course that's useless now.

Fortunately i shoot at my friends house when the weather is nice.

You could probably make a decent go of things if someone opened a indoor range here, always wanted to do that, and there are plenty of open buildings that could be converted to that use.. just have to have the time and money though.

Cavalier took you that long to get into? dang.. i"m going to be checking out the Blackcreek as they host USPSA matches and other matches like that.

let me know if you guys find anything suitable.

Hunterjbb.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:39 PM

Izzak Walton

One of the best shooting facilities in the country is available to you about 40 minutes east of town. It's the Izaak Walton shooting club. You need to know and be recommended by a member, but they have five stand, skeet fields, trap, rifle ranges, pistol ranges, and if memory serves, an archery range as well. Nice clubhouse, too. All outdoors, tho. :-(

Check with local gunstores or on the net for directions. It's out 64E to Bottoms Bridge Road, then jump over to Route 5 and go a bit further east. It's been a few years since I've been there, so get better directions than can give you.
Good shooting!

Old 02-19-2003, 06:29 PM

I'm a member out at Black Creek. However with the weather the way it is, my membership isn't doing me much good. Here is the number for the range:

Kay C Young 804-781-0267

Membership is $75/year but you must have an NRA card. I'm not sure if they'll still let members join at this time of year.

Good luck.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:10 AM

Went down to the Dominion

Range on Midlothian yesterday.. $20.00 bucks total. $12.95 for a box of 40 Georgia Arms or something like that, blue box. 180gr..

Gave a discount cause i was prior military which i thought was a nice touch, If they would let you bring your own ammo and or charge less for what they have it would not be such a bad place.

Range fee was $8.00.. but the ammo, you want to shoot couple hundred rounds it would get expensive.

Was such a crappy day yesterday and felt the itch to shoot.. won't go to often at those prices however..

Heck if they let you bring your own ammo and charged say $10 or $12 bucks to shoot that would not be so bad..

hmmm.. wonder what the costs would be to open a new range..

Hunterjbb.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:01 PM

These are a bit north of you, but FWIW:

Fairfax County
- IWLA - Fairfax County Chapter ( Fairfax )
- NRA Headquarters ( Fairfax )
- Blue Ridge Arsenal ( Chantilly )
- Gilbert Small Arms Range ( Lorton )
- Bull Run Shooting Center - shotgun/archery ( Centreville )
- Annadale Samll arms Range (Anandale)

Loudoun County
- IWLA - Loudoun County Chapter ( Leesburg )

Prince William County
- Shooter's Paradise ( Woodbridge )

Stafford County
- The Range ( Fredericksburg )

Frederick County
- IWLA - Frederick County Chapter ( Winchester )

Fauquier County
- Clark Brothers ( Warrenton )

Unknown County(ies)
- Northern VA Gun Club ( King George )

You might also want to hook up with VCDL, the premiere state Pro 2A group, I bet somebody there can hook you up locally with ranges inyour area.
http://www.vcdl.org
Good shootin'
M2
Old 03-13-2003, 12:45 PM

Shooting Range

I would go to the chickahominy one. Thats where I go, its a hike, but its free, and its no where as loud as an indoor range. They have seperate rifle and handgun ranges. Rifle is 25-50-100. Handgun is 10-25 I think. and you canshoot shotguns on the handgun range. Packed on sundays. If your planning to shoot a lot, it might be worth the trip. On small ranges when theyres a lot of people, its extremely loud and too much (cough) lead dust for me. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:30 AM

Richmond Gun Club

I'm a member out at the Richmond Gun Club (Izaak Walton Park). As stated above, they have 2-50 yd pistol ranges, 1-100 yard rifle range, and 1-50 yd "utility" range (pistol & rifle). Also have numerous skeet / trap facilities up by the club house. Membership is $250 initiaion and then $200/year with unlimited access (dawn to dusk). Excellent people out at the range and more often than not if you have any problems someone is there to help.

You can contact the club manager at 804-966-7313 to get more information.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:43 PM

you've probably already checked, but take a look at the NRA's range listing for VA.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp
Old 03-16-2003, 07:43 PM

Try:

Dominion Shooting Range, Inc.
106 Turner Rd. Richmond, Va.
Ph: 804-276-2851
Fax:804-276-9569

I just learnt about them last week.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Range on Midlothian yesterday.. $20.00 bucks total. $12.95 for a box of 40 Georgia Arms or something like that, blue box. 180gr..
That's the range that 'hunterjbb' was referring to.
Old 03-21-2003, 03:43 PM

newbie to the forum here,

I just posted the same question on the general forum as I didn't find this post on a search.

I am new to the area but in the Piedmont area.

Has anyone been to either Hite Hollow or West Side? Both are National Forest facilities. I have no idea about these types of ranges?

I looked into Rivanna but would rather find somewhere to shoot sooner than the month and a half it would take to join up with them.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:19 PM

D&P Range

Be careful with D&P - the range is ok, but they require you to buy their ammo which I found to be EXTREMELY dirty, and it was fairly expensive as I recall.