1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Revolvers

Old 11-24-2011, 07:25 AM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Ruger .45 Blackhawk models

I'm looking to buy a Ruger .45 Colt Blackhawk to be used for deerhunting next year. I've looked at all the models in this caliber that seem to be extant, but I haven't seen one with the 7.5" bbl and the .45 ACP extra cylinder.

That would be my preferred choice, but can you get the extra cylinder with the 7.5" model? Anybody know?

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-24-2011, 08:42 AM

They don't list a 7.5" barrel in the 45 convertible in the Ruger Catalog. I have seen the old model 3-screw blackhawk convertibles in that barrel length, but they would be pricey if you could find one.

You could buy a new 45 Colt in 7.5", they try and find a 45 ACP cylinder to go with it. You see people selling them from time-to-time.

Actually, a quick check on Gunbroker shows an older new model, still in box: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=261105739

And here is an old model convertible. Starts at $800, but they are very nice! http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=262032995
COTEP #125

Last edited by mrbumps; 11-24-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:50 AM

this one here is a 1995 1 of 650 made......it is my deer gun runnin' 250gr "pinbuster's" 24gr of 296 at 1525fps they don't know what hit them...drop in there tracks....gave $675.00 for it 4 years ago...

Old 11-24-2011, 10:25 AM

Very nice! You don't see the stainless ones very often. I have one of the Stainless Bisley Convertibles with the 5.5" barrel. Definitely one of my favorites!
COTEP #125
Old 11-24-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbumps View Post
Very nice! You don't see the stainless ones very often. I have one of the Stainless Bisley Convertibles with the 5.5" barrel. Definitely one of my favorites!
thanks.....i just bought a 7 1/2" Vaquero SS old model...need to pick it up after thanksgiving...
Old 11-24-2011, 02:34 PM

Rifter, as you know, they currently do not catalog a long barreled Blackhawk convertible in 45 Colt
One option for you is to buy the convertible and then send the gun to Ruger for a barrel change
The charge as I recall, (Its been some years since I had this done) was around $100.00
Factor in some inflation to be safe.
Or buy a 7.5 Blackhawk or Bisley and have a cylinder made for it, but this may be the more expensive route to accomplish the intended goal.

The only negative is, Ruger will for some reason not return the original revolver barrel.
But, you will have your long barreled convertible and if the gun needs further service down the road Ruger will accept it for service.

Good Luck

To be proficient with Firearms the endeavor must be applied similarly as in Golf or Boxing, you have to put the Rounds in! - Gerk

Gerk