1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 10-23-2011, 12:55 AM

I have to say the only thing we have going for our Country is our military. I cannot believe what a nice job Kimber did and for that price. I never heard of this, so it is an unadvertised thing they do for our glorious Military. I agree Burgs, they deserve some red/white and blue customers also.

I would still like to hear from the military guys if they prefer a 1911 for combat.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:42 AM

Along the same line, DPMS offers Laser Engraved AR-15's. I think ours were somewhere in the$700 - $800 range. We went with the AP4 from them:

Like the Kimber it DPMS probably won't entice an AR connoisseur, but they come at a reasonable price and it's a descent rifle for the cost. Sometimes its easy for us to forget Joes aren't exactly rolling in cash if they have a family. I'd recommend getting the commemorative items lined up early during the tour or mobilization so that soldiers who are interested will have an opportunity to put some cash aside. We came up with the idea about halfway into a 1 year mobilization. That only gave soldiers about 6 pay checks to put some money aside before the window closed if they wanted one.

Last edited by nothing; 10-23-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:34 AM

Para Ord was a great deal. They had match barrels, night sights, ambi safetys, etc... They provided more unit markings than others. I looked into them, and almost made an order (we had the guns set up and flyers made, but there was a back log).

If you are Military/LEO you can sign up for their sight/post/link and you will see that they have made many guns for many units at a very low cost.

If you are near Fort Hood they have a bunch, some might not have sold, or might just be there to get picked up, but you might get to see them hands on. They are good guns and shoot well.

Para Ord has made guns for many law enforcement units and military units and on the site you can who they have made them for (I was impressed at how many they made, and can see why they were backed up).

Colt, Kimber, Sig and others have programs. STI was busy and expensive at the time (OIF 09-11) and would have been limited in some things, but there is shop near them thats a dealer and could finish some things.

The issue we had was number of people for our unit (we looked at our group), and then had to go from our Troop, to Squadron to get 25+. That ment changing our design to reflect all, so we could get the set number. Then the fetures made some priced to high, and the wait time was to long for some.

I would go with the Colt, being it was a military side arm, and this is theit 100 year mark. Colt makes nice guns for West Point and others, but that is a thing that was set up a long time ago, so you will pay more and get less most likely.

My plan now is when I retire in the next few months, to just get myself a custom gun.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing View Post
Along the same line, DPMS offers Laser Engraved AR-15's. I think ours were somewhere in the$700 - $800 range. We went with the AP4 from them:

Like the Kimber it DPMS probably won't entice an AR connoisseur, but they come at a reasonable price and it's a descent rifle for the cost. Sometimes its easy for us to forget Joes aren't exactly rolling in cash if they have a family. I'd recommend getting the commemorative items lined up early during the tour or mobilization so that soldiers who are interested will have an opportunity to put some cash aside. We came up with the idea about halfway into a 1 year mobilization. That only gave soldiers about 6 pay checks to put some money aside before the window closed if they wanted one.
That unit crest got a laugh out of me.

In 1995 or so, when Mississippi had a good flood in the summer time my unit (1-5 Cav 1CD Fort Hood) went to Camp Shelby MS to train some of their National Guard guys for a Bradley gunnery. I met their COL and saluted. He said "Stand fast", so I did for about 5 minutes, till I learned it was their unit motto. Later I learned I was not the only one that stood fast...

That was also the worst place to run PT, as on the 4th of July we tried to do a 8 mile run, we might have made 2.5 miles before we decided the humidity was too much.

Just wanted to share that.