1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 08-04-2011, 10:26 PM

I discovered today that my new "E" already has a beveled stop. No need to modify, snaps right in. Also I found that 10-8 sells then with the bevel already there too. They are not cheap but the quality is probably there.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2chuckles View Post
I discovered today that my new "E" already has a beveled stop. No need to modify, snaps right in. Also I found that 10-8 sells then with the bevel already there too. They are not cheap but the quality is probably there.
A picture would be nice. Here's the 10-8. It is some what different, and have some slide stops in my 1911's that I have not grooved as they just go in too easy to bother, but for the others...

LOG

Last edited by log man; 08-04-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
A picture would be nice. Here's the 10-8. It is some what different, and have some slide stops in my 1911's that I have not grooved as they just go in too easy to bother, but for the others...

LOG
Log I notice my older Colts don't need the notch but the SA Loaded did. Put one in with a triangle file(to get the groove started) and finished it with round needle file. Works great.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:57 PM

My American Classic Trophy has an extra bevel and just snaps right in
Old 08-14-2011, 08:59 AM

Logman's idea with the Slidestop works you will never scratch it again.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:41 AM

Log Man-

You are to be commended for all of the finish damage you have prevented to 1911's!

My SA Loaded was the worst kind of uncooperative, stubborn PITA to put back together when it came to the SS, never was able to do it without tiny screwdriver or knife blade to depress the plunger...not being the three handed kind of freak I slipped once on the second fracking reassembly...knowing all along that there had to be a better way and they aren't supposed to be like this...

Least it's not going to get any worse!

One would think that more manufacturers would do this if they were proud of their finishes...
Old 09-24-2011, 05:45 PM

Awesome idea! My Wilson Combat Bullet proof slide stop that I installed on my Kimber does not require this mod because it has a pretty pronounced bevel that makes it easy to snap it.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:09 PM

I don't have any needle files.
If I were to buy one file, which file would be best for this modification?
Israeli Hi Power
Old 09-25-2011, 06:07 PM

Home Depot has a couple of nice sets of needle files in the $8.00 range that are great. I used the round file to do this mod on another 1911 . I started with a small triangle file to mark the location and to keep the round file from walking.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:35 PM

Got it CG, thanks for the tip!
Israeli Hi Power
Old 09-29-2011, 11:04 PM

Thx LogMan.

So though I'm not a member of the "Idiot" Club, i decided to keep from becoming one that I would try out the "LogMan" Mod. What a relief. I practiced on the stock SS that came with my Loaded and once I did it to that I performed the surgery on my extended SS that is on my 1911 now. What a smooth fix bud. Im what you call OCD with my firearms. Soooo much so I rearranged the letters to CDO so theyd be in order hahaha. Just kiddin. Anywhoo-THX A BUNCH LOGMAN.
To anyone contemplating the skill needed to do this mod-I just went to my local hobby shop & bought a set of needle files for $9.- and used the triangle to start then I used the round one like te prior poster did and I usually never modify anything (Thats what my Gunsmith is for---I dont build 'em:I jsut buy 'em). So the big task was gettin over tye fear of ruining a part that at most would cost me 29-39 bucks- shouldnt have a nice firearm if i cant afford that kinda money into long term safety and precautionary upgrades n mods. Anyways. Cheers y'all. TC1
S/A 1911-A1 "Ultra Compact" {Load'd & Mod'd}-S/A 1911-A1 MilSpec {Mod'd}-S/A XD.40s&w (Svc), Glock-19&21, S&W Model 41&22-A, Beretta .22, S&W M&P .223&15-22, Savage 10FCE .308, Mossberg 500-A(Tac).12ga.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:06 PM

just did this modification, took me about 5 minutes and it works great!

gr T
Old 10-19-2011, 02:06 PM

Just found this thread, I had a Kimber and never had a problem, but I just got my SA MC Operator and had to use a small screwdiver, what a PITA. The mod is in the works tonite.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:15 PM

been meaning to do this on my Kimber Classic Target SS since reading this thread awhile ago, tripped on a needle file set at walmart today (8 bucks). Five minutes on the bench and snaps right in. Thanks Logman!

Now on to figure out how to get the very faint idiot scratch out of the matte ss frame...(my doing, years ago).
Old 11-10-2011, 04:08 AM

Ease of removing and replacing slide stop as to field strip for cleaning. That's what the bevel on the slide stop is for. Get the slide stop in the correct position and it's a piece of cake.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:51 AM

I did this to my Bianchi Cup gun after I saw this thread. Great trick. Thanks for posting it. It works perfect.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-02-2011, 06:54 PM

One sweet easy modification. Did it to my 3 1911's and one is brandy new. Took more time to get the stops put than it did to modify them.
Thanks for a great tip
Old 12-04-2011, 08:24 PM

I just did this to the stop on my new Sig Target. The entire operation took 5 minutes and my nitron finish is now safe. My other guns will get this treatment next time I have them on the bench.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
This is a modification I do on just about all slide stops as it allows easy installation and doesn't affect function. It is easily done with a needle file. To install, the slide stop is positioned directly on top of the plunger and you can feel it saddle over it and push it straight in. Bingo!

LOG

Just a quick "thank you" to Log Man for this post. I just got my first 1911, just about idiot marked it the first time I cleaned it, and today performed this modification. I can now assemble the slide stop much easier.
Thanks!
Old 12-11-2011, 05:30 PM

When you break out the files on new guns what does it do to the warranty.?
Old 12-11-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnThornton View Post
When you break out the files on new guns what does it do to the warranty.?
For something so simple a manufacturer would have difficulty denying a claim for an unrelated issue.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:44 PM

This modification to the slide stop seems very simple and effective, I usually use a flathead screwdriver or any thin metal tool to depress the plunger while inserting the slide stop.

Log Man,
Would you recommend me filing the slide stop (as you have) slowly, polishing it with an abrasive cloth and just repeating this process until it pops in with ease? Seems like something I could do on my own, and I have spare slide stops in case I screw it up.

Lately I've been trying to do more modifications and simple repairs on my own.

Best regards and thanks for the original posting.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SytePicture View Post
This modification to the slide stop seems very simple and effective, I usually use a flathead screwdriver or any thin metal tool to depress the plunger while inserting the slide stop.

Log Man,
Would you recommend me filing the slide stop (as you have) slowly, polishing it with an abrasive cloth and just repeating this process until it pops in with ease? Seems like something I could do on my own, and I have spare slide stops in case I screw it up.

Lately I've been trying to do more modifications and simple repairs on my own.

Best regards and thanks for the original posting.
Yes, that is really how I do it. I want the groove to saddle the plunger, and slide in.

LOG

Old 12-24-2011, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the mod I just did it to both of mine and it works great.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:40 PM

screwdrivers? thin metal? still too easy to slip and scratch. Try this useful trick with a light or medium weight guitar pick. Works like a dream.