1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Blade Forum

Old 07-10-2011, 11:13 PM

Help.. Can't remember the name of the sharpener

I'm trying to look up some info on the knife sharpener that holds the EDGE vertical and it uses two stones, one on each side of the blade, at the same time. I rember seeing an instructional video on it once but can't dig it up again.

ETA- It's a guide rod and clamp style.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Hoss in IL; 07-11-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:19 AM

Crock Stick
Old 07-11-2011, 04:04 AM

sharpener

Spydeco has a sharpener that has 2 sticks, or stones, verticle at angles. The one I have has a total of 4 sticks. Does a great job when you are patient.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:58 AM

Both sides at once I would say Wicked Edge:

“Blessed are those who, in the face of death, think only about the front sight.” --Jeff Cooper
Old 07-11-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueClimber View Post
Both sides at once I would say Wicked Edge:

That was my first thought.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:04 PM

Yep, thats it, Wicked Edge. You guys are good. Thanks. Now I know what to put in the search engines.

I have used a Lansky for probably 12 years and really don't have any complaints. I've skinned a lot of coons and squirrels and cleaned a lot of catfish with knives sharpened on it. I've just started looking around at getting a new set up.

I think I've narrowed it down to a KME or Wicked edge, maybe another Lansky with diamond stones this time.

Thanks again.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highhawk1948 View Post
Spydeco has a sharpener that has 2 sticks, or stones, verticle at angles. The one I have has a total of 4 sticks. Does a great job when you are patient.
+1.. Really like the edge this sharpener put on. Doesn't take really long either.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:39 AM

Where do you guys find your wicked edges and how much are they?

Lucky
Old 07-16-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouluckydogu View Post
Where do you guys find your wicked edges and how much are they?

Lucky
I like Chef Knives To Go

$200ish

But you have to find them in stock...
“Blessed are those who, in the face of death, think only about the front sight.” --Jeff Cooper
Old 07-18-2011, 09:26 AM

Do you guys use a strop on your knives? While watching this video I noticed that he finishes with strop or leather like they do with the old fashion razors.
Dan Wesson ECO; Dan Wesson matte SS VBOB, Custom Stainless TLE II, Pro Tactical .9mm, Colt Defender .45, Ruger LC9, Keltec .32, Walther PPK .380, S&W 6" Stainless M66 .357, Browning Buckmark II Target .22, Ruger 22/45; Hornady LnL Progressive
Old 07-18-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveKoz View Post
Do you guys use a strop on your knives? While watching this video I noticed that he finishes with strop or leather like they do with the old fashion razors.
I just picked up a strop to learn how to use. People seem to think they are the perfect thing for finishing a blade or even maintaining...
Old 07-18-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueClimber View Post
I just picked up a strop to learn how to use. People seem to think they are the perfect thing for finishing a blade or even maintaining...
Please post back after you've given it a try. Really interested in knowing if it makes a difference. I'm sure some will say yes and other will say no but since your just learning too.. :-)
Dan Wesson ECO; Dan Wesson matte SS VBOB, Custom Stainless TLE II, Pro Tactical .9mm, Colt Defender .45, Ruger LC9, Keltec .32, Walther PPK .380, S&W 6" Stainless M66 .357, Browning Buckmark II Target .22, Ruger 22/45; Hornady LnL Progressive
Old 07-18-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Please post back after you've given it a try. Really interested in knowing if it makes a difference. I'm sure some will say yes and other will say no but since your just learning too.. :-)
I have to order some stropping compound first...
Old 07-21-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I have been using the WE for a few months now. I have just recently started to use the strops and they really make a big difference. I can touch up and mirror an edge within seconds almost.

Here are a few things I’ve learned the hard way:

Use your log book! The system comes with a log book in the back of the manual, use it. It is there so that you can easily reset the system when using it to sharpen multiple blades. Otherwise you will probably have to re-profile the edge every time you use it which is not a good thing. Unless have a great memory of course.

Use a marker to coat your edge before you start. It helps verify that you have your angles set properly. I can explain this in greater detail if needed.
When applying the compound to your strops don’t apply too much. A little of the compound will go a LONG way. One application to the strops will be good for 50-70 knives.

Good luck all
Old 07-23-2011, 11:54 AM

I have been searching the net for several days now looking for someone who has a wicked edge system in stock and havent found a single one, If someone knows where there is one please pm me
thanks
Lucky
Old 07-23-2011, 03:29 PM

Spyderco

I like the Spyderco. Very easy, your choice of bevel angle. Adding ceramic triangles to the basic set and a diamond block to begin with gives you everything you need.