1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Ruger

Old 05-18-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I12BFree View Post
Maybe it'd be a good idea to wait until Ruger's model, and maybe future models, is/are out there a while before clamoring for it's own forum?
I agree
Old 05-19-2011, 12:08 AM

Lets wait
Old 05-19-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrosVentreGeorge View Post
I agree
+1 how long did people buy Rocks and talk about Rocks in here until they got their own forum? It will come I'm sure in due time.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-19-2011, 06:31 AM
Banned

It makes no sense, to me, that every manufacturer of a 1911 does not have its own forum here so owners can have a convenient place to discuss them.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:01 AM

For sure the SR1911 needs its own subforum:

1) Ruger is just not an importer, nor are they going anywhere soon - they are on the list with the big boy gun manufacturers.
2) The "other" 1911 forum already has a Ruger subforum
3) Pure volume, now and into the future - this gun is plain selling
4) The SR1911 threads are already getting muddled up with other threads
5) Soon a new person with a real problem with his Ruger 1911 is going to move on when he doesn't see a Ruger subforum
6) All the other very minor players in the "Other 1911's" subforum will get overrun with SR1911 posts.
7) The very fact that the SR1911 has some noticeable improvements/differences from generic "other 1911's" should alone be enough to warrant its own subforum.

Last edited by Oilypablo; 05-19-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 05-19-2011, 07:46 AM

Will Ruger be offering a "1.5" model"?

With Ruger's attention to quality and detail, I would not be surprised if they are all close to that, in a rest!

Damn you Ruger! Now I "need" another gun.
I'd clean more if the spray bottle made a laser noise.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:26 AM

I like mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_mays View Post
Update: I ran a finish reamer into the chamber, which cut away the rifling at the throat enough to allow my TC bullet reloads to fully chamber. I won't be surprised to see the occasional "My reloads won't chamber!" post in the future, from other SR1911 owners.
I had the same thing happen with two different bullets. Hornady 185gr XTP and some LRN that have a long-ish driving band. I'll have to find a local 'smith that can do for me what you did to your gun.

I bought the first one I saw last Saturday and shot about 100 rounds thru it on Sunday. It was a rainy, crappy day. Thank goodness for stainless steel!

Someone else mentioned the dislike of the black on stainless. I agree and will be taking care of that. As for the design of the hammer spur... I really don't like that either, but not enough to change it out! I've also noticed some creep in the trigger that seemed to diminish some in the little that I've shot it. I'm looking forward to shooting it more to see how that smooths out.

My off hand results pretty much mimic Ken's.

Thanks for the pics.

I've been a 1911 and a Ruger fan for many years. Now Ruger has made a nice 1911. I'm glad the wait was worth it. I paid $649 and feel that I got a lot of gun for the money.

In the Shooting Times report the opening picture shows a few finished and non-finished component parts. One of those pieces is a frame with an integral mag well and a blocky dust cover that looks to be the basis for a rail. Shooting Times was the one that "leaked" the Ruger SR1911. Could it be they are "leaking" what Ruger's doing next?

Last edited by orygunbp; 05-19-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:49 AM

Ory, keep shooting it, my trigger went from 4.9 down to 4.6 in just 300 rounds. I was selling my RIA Tac to a friend and we were shooting it quite a bit. I drug out the Ruger to shoot and there was a huge difference in the triggers with the Ruger being all around better. It's funny how you don't notice these things until you do a side by side comparison.....Lord help me if I ever have the pleasure of shooting a high end custom 1911..........so I will stay away from them if at all possible.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orygunbp View Post
...I've also noticed some creep in the trigger that seemed to diminish some in the little that I've shot it. I'm looking forward to shooting it more to see how that smooths out...
The trigger on mine is getting really good. I've just shot it a couple hundred times, but I give it a real workout while watching TV. Even though the Ruger manual says it's okay, I can't bring myself to dry fire it. I place a strip of inner tube rubber in the frame over the firing pin and let the hammer fall on that. (I've also used half a foam ear plug.)

Anyway, several thousand clicks later and this trigger is really feeling good. Very crisp. All the creep you mentioned (and I initially experienced) is gone. It seems to be getting lighter, too. I'm off to the range tomorrow for use up the 200 cartridges I loaded yesterday before they get stale.

This is a really good gun. I'm delighted with it.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:42 PM

As for ruger getting a subforum on the 1911 list, i would love to see it but give it some time im sure it will happen. Just remember Ruger only has one 1911 out, and its only been out for a little bit. Im sure in a bit ruger will be on the manufactures list but lets not get to antsy.

Dlidster just go grab a 45 snap cap or something if you don't like dry firing it, although im sure your rubber inner tube idea works beautifully, i like snap caps because it gives me the chance to practice at the range by putting a couple in the middle of some random mags.