1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense

Old 07-05-2001, 08:23 PM

1991 Cocked-and-Locked Tension on hammer?

Hello everyone. I have been a gun enthusiast for many years now and have owned a Sig P220 and a Beretta 92FS Police Special for about eight years, but I am getting my CCW permit soon(!) and have almost settled on a Glock due to it's constant trigger pull. I love the reliability and feel of the two guns that I own, but don't think I want the extreme first DA pull for that first critical shot if that moment ever came for me. I am 6'3" and only 165 pounds, so I am basically a tall stick figure. Firearm length is not as much of an issue for concealment as width is(I plan on IWB). I love the reliability, weight, and pretty much everything about the Glocks, including the price, but I have had limited experience with the 1911 and I did extremely well with it. I have no problem training with it and becoming accustomed to having to thumb off the safety first, but I have read concerns about those that worry about the constant tension from having a pistol that is cocked 12-24 hours per day. I know I will be careful enough to not cause an AD, but I feel uneasy about the constant tension and possibly life of whatever spring mechanism that "owns" that hammer. Is this a common concern at first? I don't expect many here to tell me I am better off with Glock or Sig, as great as they are, but I just want to be certain that a Springfield, Colt, or Kimber is going to be as reliable and malfunction-free as the other modern designs I have mentioned.

Thanks a bunch!

------------------
"I may be slow walker, but I never walk back" --Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-06-2001, 02:54 AM

very good comments and good question.

here's my thought, and i am sure others will follow.

i don't worry about the hammer falling forward, the way the 1911 is made even if the hammer comes forward there are other safties to block a discharge. now, understand that nothing is 100%. but the older 1911's ahve a saftey catch on the sear, which should stop the hammer from coming all the way forward, it stops it at "half cock". the newer 1911's have a little different set up, but is basiclly the same. as more me 1911's, i carry a series 80 colt, the series 80 design has the firing pin block common in a lot of other brands today. (glock, ruger, ect).

the 1911 is a very safe weapon, if not butchered by someone that shouldn't be inside a gun. i leave the inside of the gun alone, and if something needs done to it, i have a pistolsmith that i trust at hand.

when you think about it, the glock is at "half cock" (striker is mostly pulled back) and blocked by a firing pin saftey and dissconect and the cute little trigger thing.

the colt has a grip saftey, thumb saftey, dissconect, a saftey nitch on the sear, and in the case of the series 80 a firing pin saftey.

both guns are safe, so its up to which one you do better work with.

let us know what you decide. i trust my life and the lives of others everyday withmy colt.

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....
Old 07-06-2001, 03:05 AM

Scotty, I think you will find that modern gunsprings don't have a problem with "forever" cocked and locked status. John Moses Browning "overengineered" the 1911, to be long lived - and I have never heard of "cocked and locked" ruining a mainspring. The factory springs are 2-3 times as powerful as need be, so it would take a lot to disable the gun.

I would dissuade you from the notion that ANY man made object is "perfection" or "has no problems", is always reliable, etc. Glock has been recalling...err, updating guns with "improved" parts since day one. (It is amazing what advertising money will keep OUT of gun magazines.) A corporation doesn't bother fixing what isn't broken, especially where money is involved - unless their is a reason for the recal...err - upgrade. Glocks are not perfection - and will ultimately limit your actual performance. SIGs are generally reliable - but do occasionally lose a trigger spring - and that awful DA to SA thing.

1911s usually work OK with good ammo and magazines - but some "optimizing" can make a good thing better. I would suggest a current production Colt 1991A1 for a solid, reliable value.

What the 1911 gives you is a gun you can shoot better than any other - and when the chips are down, that counts. 1911 Reliability is a non-problem, if you are willing to learn the gun's catechism and attend to a few small details. (See the current thread under General Gun Discussion "A question for 1911 Manufacturers" referance reliability enhancement.)

If you are not - move over to the line marked "Non-Dedicated Personnel" and accept "Euro-mediocracy" in your personal weapon. None of the "modern" designs can beat the 1911 design for overall performance, period. That is why the shooting sports separate the 1911 from all others in IDPA, etc. It isn't to protect the poor 1911 owners, I assure you.

Whatever you decide, Welcome, come in and have a look around!

Warmly, Col. Colt

Beware of Counterfeits and Patent Infringements
Old 07-06-2001, 06:56 AM
Banned

Good comments from Russel and the good Colonel.
I agree - I feel MORE safe with a cocked and locked 1911, than any other platform.