1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense

Old 06-06-2001, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Reflections on the NTI

I'm still gathering my thoughts because in terms of information overload, the NTI excells. First thoughts are that it's a very worthwhile experience that will humble you. There were four major components that consisted of live fire, sims, partner tactics, and lecture.

Live Fire- Small amount of standards type stuff with bulk being shoot house work with multiple targets (mostly 3D and moving/popping/falling). Generally involved working your way through several rooms to accomplish your goal. Very devious planning that stretched you to the limit.

Sims- They had an entire town built (ATSA Village) that you walked through and got involved in several scenarios. These included a robbery at a store you visited, a robbery in an alley with multiple attackers, and an irate couple who got pretty angry at you. There were several encounters with innocents who acted suspicious but didn't engage.

Partners- Same drill as above. Scenarios included an irate ex-employee who entered the store you visited, several robberies where they tried to seperate you from your partner (scary how easy it is to accomplish that).

Lecture- Conducted by several top names such as Greg Hamilton, John Holschen, Andy Stanford, John Farnam, Chris Dwiggens, Mike Shertz on a variety of topics like car tactics, mental conditioning, surviving your wounds, using gun as impact weapon.

Overall, the most important lessons that were reinforced were to be decisive, move off the line of attack,and the best way to win a fight is to avoid it. Would I reccomend going? You bet but you have to go with an open mind and be ready to accept the fact that you probably aren't quite as well prepared as you think you are.
Old 06-10-2001, 10:15 AM

Blinder...

What is NTI?

TIA...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<< <<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!
Old 06-10-2001, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

National Tactical Invitational. It's probably the most "real life" match in the country and a whole heap of fun too. check out www.teddytactical.com for more info.
Old 06-10-2001, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

I've got a stage by stage review of my experiences at the NTI this year @:
http://sportsrec.bb.prodigy.net/sportsrecb/prodigy.cgi?action=topic_display_page&to pic=2461
It isn't finished yet, but probably will be in the next few days.

TB., NC

[This message has been edited by Tim Burke (edited 06-10-2001).]
Old 06-11-2001, 10:27 AM

Great write up on the stages Tim.

Ross T.